• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Medical Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriverTests

Recently passed the recruitment process for Scotrail had a conditional offer pending medical.

Does anyone know what the medical involves and do they pay attention to your BMI?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whistler2018

Taken from the RSSB website:

https://catalogues.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GORT3451 Iss 4.pdf

I believe that a BMI under 28 is desirable and that anything over 33 would be looked at unfavourably but might not mean a fail (BMI is not always an accurate measure of the fitness of an individual). Medical will involve a pretty standard eyesight test, including colour blindness. Standard hearing test. Drugs & alcohol. ECG. If I've missed anything I'm sure someone will add to this and/or it'll be in the document.

Cheers

Brian. M

Yep I think above covers everything that's required, definitely BMI is taken into account, if your BMI is over 28 I think your classed as morbidly obese, whilst squeezing you into the cab shouldn't be a problem it's the prising you out at the end of shift which would probably cost scotrail millions in delays.

Duffman76

On Moderation
Yep I think above covers everything that's required, definitely BMI is taken into account, if your BMI is over 28 I think your classed as morbidly obese, whilst squeezing you into the cab shouldn't be a problem it's the prising you out at the end of shift which would probably cost scotrail millions in delays.

HA HA HA HA HA HA.

OneLowban

:lol:

In all seriousness, as long as you can do basic mobility exercises I wouldn’t worry about BMI as I believe if it’s ‘high’ that is what they will check.

Stigy

Established Member
25-30 ish in BMI is classed as overweight, but above that is obese. To be honest it’s not an accurate measure of one’s fitness. People view being obese as being unhealthy and excessively unfit, whereas it’s not that bad really.

At GWR, up to 32 in BMI is ‘okay’, whereas anything higher would be looked at and judged accordingly. I know people with high BMIs where it’s muscle rather than fat, so naturally it’s nit accurate to measure fitness solely on BMI. Because of the nature of train driving, and the nature of the fact that you’ll be sitting down a lot, it’s in their interest to take one’e Fitness in to account, it unless you have a BMI if 37 or 38 and are in poor health, it’s unlikely to be much of an issue.

My BMI was 32.7 when I had my medical and the quack said he wanted me to lose half a stone by the time I started which was about 3 months. He said he’d see me in 3 months but signed me off as fit anyway (he was never gonna see me in 3 months as that would have been the start of training). I lost half a stone in about a week prior to starting anyway, because I wanted to. I’ve now lost a stone and am just fat rather than obese with a BMI of 29.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.