• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver route knowledge requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I have a few questions about VTWC driver route knowledge requirements that I have been wondering for a while:

1) Do drivers need to know the WHOLE WCML (e.g London to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Birmingham, Chester, Shrewsbury, Manchester, Blackpool etc...)

2) Are drivers trained on both 390 and 221?

3) Do all drivers need to know all possible diversion routes, or are only some trained?

4) How long do drivers get to learn routes?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HLE

Established Member
All questions can be answered with : it depends on the depot, its links within the depot, the type and length of the route and the frequency the diversionary routes are used.

neilb62

1) Do drivers need to know the WHOLE WCML (e.g London to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Birmingham, Chester, Shrewsbury, Manchester, Blackpool etc...)

Only the top-link at Preston sign Edinburgh/Glasgow to London via Trent and Birmingham. Scottish Drivers only go as far as Preston. London and Wolverhampton only go to Preston. Manchester and Liverpool go London and Holyhead depending on link. Wolves Drivers do the Shrewsbury. Preston No3 link do the Blackpool. Preston and some Euston Drivers go to Chester.

Not always. The lower links at Manchester and the top 2 links at Euston are 390 only.

3) Do all drivers need to know all possible diversion routes, or are only some trained?

If you sign the route you sign the diversions as appropriate.

How long is a piece of string? There are route learning norms but a Driver fresh to a depot like Preston having to learn North and South could be up to 3 years before fully productive. Route Learning isn't all done at once, you may learn London for instance and work South for a while before learning North.

Mulberry2016

Only the top-link at Preston sign Edinburgh/Glasgow to London via Trent and Birmingham. Scottish Drivers only go as far as Preston. London and Wolverhampton only go to Preston. Manchester and Liverpool go London and Holyhead depending on link. Wolves Drivers do the Shrewsbury. Preston No3 link do the Blackpool. Preston and some Euston Drivers go to Chester.

Not always. The lower links at Manchester and the top 2 links at Euston are 390 only.

If you sign the route you sign the diversions as appropriate.

How long is a piece of string? There are route learning norms but a Driver fresh to a depot like Preston having to learn North and South could be up to 3 years before fully productive. Route Learning isn't all done at once, you may learn London for instance and work South for a while before learning North.

Neil has hit the nail on the head. Top link at Preston are up there with the veteran Freight guys in terms of the best railway men in Britain as far as I'm concerned

neilb62

Neil has hit the nail on the head. Top link at Preston are up there with the veteran Freight guys in terms of the best railway men in Britain as far as I'm concerned

Why thank you sir! Neil (Pn No1 link Driver) :D

Only the Newcastle Lodge Link Drivers sign further than we do going to London, Inverness and Aberdeen. Not sure they have the diversionary knowledge we do though or the 'two ways to London apart from the Hartford loop.

83G/84D

Established Member
It must be an absolute nightmare when they remodel or re-signal somewhere and you have to learn it all again.

Stafford springs to mind!

Throw in ESR's, TSR's and short notice changes to calling patterns and you certainly have to be alert at all times. Credit where credit is due you do a good job.

The most unappreciated people (by the public) on the railway........ after signallers!?

neilb62

It must be an absolute nightmare when they remodel or re-signal somewhere and you have to learn it all again.

Stafford springs to mind!

Throw in ESR's, TSR's and short notice changes to calling patterns and you certainly have to be alert at all times. Credit where credit is due you do a good job.

The most unappreciated people (by the public) on the railway........ after signallers!?

We get good route briefings and notices, I've recently done the one for the Manchester (Ordsall Lane) remodelling. It keeps you on your toes right enough!

Mulberry2016

Why thank you sir! Neil (Pn No1 link Driver) :D

Only the Newcastle Lodge Link Drivers sign further than we do going to London, Inverness and Aberdeen. Not sure they have the diversionary knowledge we do though or the 'two ways to London apart from the Hartford loop.

Yeah, East Coast is pretty much straight forward with what I know of it. Once I rack up the miles, I wouldn't mind stepping up to WCML stuff with virgin, but I haven't the experience as of yet. I do know a couple of your collegues,and they are inspirational people to say the least, who helped me a great deal during my training days a few years back.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
We get good route briefings and notices, I've recently done the one for the Manchester (Ordsall Lane) remodelling. It keeps you on your toes right enough!

So you would sign Chat Moss as a diversion then, Neil? Do you sign up to Stockport that way and beyond or just up to Piccadilly?

neilb62

Yeah, East Coast is pretty much straight forward with what I know of it. Once I rack up the miles, I wouldn't mind stepping up to WCML stuff with virgin, but I haven't the experience as of yet. I do know a couple of your collegues,and they are inspirational people to say the least, who helped me a great deal during my training days a few years back.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

So you would sign Chat Moss as a diversion then, Neil? Do you sign up to Stockport that way and beyond or just up to Piccadilly?

We sign across Chat Moss to Picc and from there to Crewe via Stockport and Styal, (2+3 Link go onto Long****e too) from Crewe we go direct to Colwich (obviously!) and via Stoke and Stone to Norton Bridge and Colwich, we no longer sign via Macclesfield although we used to. Other diversions are Bushbury and Wolves Station to Stechford via Bescot and Aston, Aston to New St and via Soho. In Scotland we do Law Jn to Uddingston via Bellshill and Holytown, the single line from Wishaw to Shieldmuir and past Motherwell Loco to Bellshill and Holytown. Chester is a Diversion for us from both Crewe and Warrington, a few of us at Pn (me included) still sign to Carlisle via Blackburn and Hellifield too! Northampton is just treated as the Slow Lines, if they pull off that way we just go.

Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
We sign across Chat Moss to Picc and from there to Crewe via Stockport and Styal, (2+3 Link go onto Long****e too) from Crewe we go direct to Colwich (obviously!) and via Stoke and Stone to Norton Bridge and Colwich, we no longer sign via Macclesfield although we used to. Other diversions are Bushbury and Wolves Station to Stechford via Bescot and Aston, Aston to New St and via Soho. In Scotland we do Law Jn to Uddingston via Bellshill and Holytown, the single line from Wishaw to Shieldmuir and past Motherwell Loco to Bellshill and Holytown. Chester is a Diversion for us from both Crewe and Warrington, a few of us at Pn (me included) still sign to Carlisle via Blackburn and Hellifield too! Northampton is just treated as the Slow Lines, if they pull off that way we just go.

Can I ask, what happens if you accidentally get sent along an incorrect route (either that you do OR don't sign, or does this never happen?

Belgarion

Can I ask, what happens if you accidentally get sent along an incorrect route (either that you do OR don't sign, or does this never happen?

That's the whole point of route knowledge, you know not to take a wrong route if it's given by the signaler. If you do make that mistake then it's a whole world of trouble

neilb62

It shouldn't, it's down to the Driver to audit the route given and if incorrect stop. That said it does and has happened as we are all only human. Our most recent was a guy taking the Coventry line at Rugby when he should have gone down the Trent, the passengers then has a trip via Bescot to get North. In this case the blame is usually split 50/50 between Driver and Signaller.

Mulberry2016

How on earth do you still sign Hellifield and Blackburn? Is it just a DVD refresh or do you actually ride up it on one of Northern's services every 6 months with the Blackpool men? Cheers, Neil

neilb62

How on earth do you still sign Hellifield and Blackburn? Is it just a DVD refresh or do you actually ride up it on one of Northern's services every 6 months with the Blackpool men? Cheers, Neil

We have a route reviewing loco every year (each Driver gets two trips) Sadly this looks to have come to an end with the recent S&C closure so we'll loose the route knowledge over there.

Mulberry2016

We have a route reviewing loco every year (each Driver gets two trips) Sadly this looks to have come to an end with the recent S&C closure so we'll loose the route knowledge over there.

Haaaa, I remember Rob telling me about that. It's a class 50 isn't it?? Once the S&C is back open, It would make sense to have that back as a diversion but I don't surpose there are enough voyager sets to justify it.

Last edited:

neilb62

Haaaa, I remember Rob telling me about that. It's a class 50 isn't it?? Once the S&C is back open, It would make sense to have that back as a diversion but I don't surpose there are enough voyager sets to justify it.

It's a 57. And no, it seems there is no plan for us to go over there again.

WCMLaddict

That will give a reason to Network Rail to cut the maintenance on the Clitheroe line.
And slap 30mph speed restriction for the whole length :)

Status
Not open for further replies.