• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timpg

The same “older hands” that say that, also didn’t have the level of rules/traction training and assessments that trainees now have from what I’ve been told by drivers who still only have 10-12 years in the job. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Same here. May even have been at the same assessment centre? I was surprised I passed to be honest, especially on that DFFT!

possibly mate, I passed mine with freightliner in around may/June 2018 for Ipswich. which even though I was an internal applicant. It didn’t result in a driving position with them. It worked out in my favour though as a TOC honoured my passes and I’m about a month away from pass out week!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
possibly mate, I passed mine with freightliner in around may/June 2018 for Ipswich. which even though I was an internal applicant. It didn’t result in a driving position with them. It worked out in my favour though as a TOC honoured my passes and I’m about a month away from pass out week!
Oh, no I was October 2018 for Eastleigh. The assessments were in Crewe. I’m the same though, in that I wasn’t offered a job with them but GWR honoured the results. Worked out better to be honest as the salary, perks and shifts are better at GWR as far as I’m concerned.

jacey

Well driver manager's at two places told me that it's 50-60% failure at national level. The OPC told me it's around 80% fail to enhanced. Take that as you will. Current tests.
i cannot believe 80% of applicants fail at enhanced. Don't get me wrong its not easy but its certainly not that hard either. I would of guessed around 30% that reach that stage fail. shocked at 80%

Timpg

Oh, no I was October 2018 for Eastleigh. The assessments were in Crewe. I’m the same though, in that I wasn’t offered a job with them but GWR honoured the results. Worked out better to be honest as the salary, perks and shifts are better at GWR as far as I’m concerned.
Ah okay, in that case you were on the following recruiting process after mine.
I was informed in July that I was successful and awaiting a course around Oct/November. They then ran the October assessments. A course in November became available, and I was told there was no space for me. I then learn two external applicants from the October assessments for Ipswich, started on that course!
Im of the same opinion as you though, I was successful in applying for GA, and it couldn’t have worked out any better.

dctraindriver

Just so I’m not misunderstood, the older hands I refer to are full of it. I’m saying things were in no way easier for them at all, some of them just think it was, they think new starters aren’t worthy / boil-in-the-bags, etc.

On the flip side of that, you get other old-timers who are only too happy to help out and pass on their experience.

Any cross-section of life is like that, I suppose. You get helpful types, lazy ones, some who think they’re saving the world doing a monotonous job, etc.
Bang on Fred.

The same “older hands” that say that, also didn’t have the level of rules/traction training and assessments that trainees now have from what I’ve been told by drivers who still only have 10-12 years in the job. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Same here. May even have been at the same assessment centre? I was surprised I passed to be honest, especially on that DFFT!
I’d say Traction was more hands on and challenging in the old days. There’s many a good old sweat driver who says they wouldn’t be able to pass the tests now. However they were then earning at the time a lower than average salary. I think the change in the people applying and working in the grade now has flabbergasted a few of them.

Louby

Just so I’m not misunderstood, the older hands I refer to are full of it. I’m saying things were in no way easier for them at all, some of them just think it was, they think new starters aren’t worthy / boil-in-the-bags, etc.

On the flip side of that, you get other old-timers who are only too happy to help out and pass on their experience.

Any cross-section of life is like that, I suppose. You get helpful types, lazy ones, some who think they’re saving the world doing a monotonous job, etc.
agreed, like they were born in the four foot! everybody was a boil in bag at some point,

ComUtoR

Established Member
i cannot believe 80% of applicants fail at enhanced. Don't get me wrong its not easy but its certainly not that hard either. I would of guessed around 30% that reach that stage fail. shocked at 80%

It's probably higher. Consider the number of applicants that go through the system and compare that to those who get the job.

We have to remember that this forum is only a teardrop in an ocean full of dreams. I didn't find it easy by no means and I came out each test thinking I didn't do well but I never found anything "hard". Plenty on my day came out full of boastfulness and they were the ones who got sent home. As many people post; the tests are designed in such a way that it does weed people out and those that pass don't find it hard at all sail through and those who the test weeds out really tend to struggle. Its kinda odd. There appears to be no "middle ground".

Speaking to the Managers.. The stories they come out with are shocking. The DMI is still very much a large hurdle to overcome.

jacey

It's probably higher. Consider the number of applicants that go through the system and compare that to those who get the job.

We have to remember that this forum is only a teardrop in an ocean full of dreams. I didn't find it easy by no means and I came out each test thinking I didn't do well but I never found anything "hard". Plenty on my day came out full of boastfulness and they were the ones who got sent home. As many people post; the tests are designed in such a way that it does weed people out and those that pass don't find it hard at all sail through and those who the test weeds out really tend to struggle. Its kinda odd. There appears to be no "middle ground".
i understand from applying to getting the job is hard i completely agree is very very tough and you will need some luck, but just for passing enhanced 80% fail im surprised at.

slidingdoors

It’s true. When I was doing the classroom training they were doing stage 1 tests on site. Groups of 20 were nearly always 3 or 4 max by the afternoon. It was brutal!

slidingdoors

I would say a fair percentage go in with little or no preparation assuming it’s fairly easy and that would account for a lot. Also the slightest distraction to knock you off your groove and it could be all over. Remember some tests are in 30/60 second or so blocks. Then there’s the pressure of what it means (especially if you fail twice and are out for life). So while they’re not super hard they’re also easy to fail.

Lumpa6259

I would say a fair percentage go in with little or no preparation assuming it’s fairly easy and that would account for a lot. Also the slightest distraction to knock you off your groove and it could be all over. Remember some tests are in 30/60 second or so blocks. Then there’s the pressure of what it means (especially if you fail twice and are out for life). So while they’re not super hard they’re also easy to fail.
That makes perfect sense. Although this is my first application and not through the paper sift yet... if I hadn’t happened about this site I think I would have gone in unprepared and probably assumed it was easy too.

jacey

very good point. totally agree.

Spincity

Somewhat confused about the your website, it says valid for 5 years and valid for all TOCs.

With a number of Companies having higher standards and some only valid for 3 or so years how are results valid for all TOCs for 5 years?. Are you doing the extra tests that some require and do provide test results and scores
Hi Ste, yes Railway Competence Group provide train driver psychometric testing. You can book through our website.

Yes that includes the MMI. The two attempts, applies wherever you undertake testing as all assessments are stored on a shared database.
RCG, sorry the thread got closed earlier hopefully you can clarify some details. You website says your tests are valid for 5 years and accepted by all TOC.

Can you confirm what standard the tests are too, how do your tests last 5 years when some TOCs are only valid for 2 years. Do you include the enhanced tests?.

sorry only clarifying what the private test actually covers, do you give scores and what TOCs will accept these scores

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Can you confirm what standard the tests are too, how do your tests last 5 years when some TOCs are only valid for 2 years.
The tests are always valid for a maximum of 5 years. However, some TOCs only accept them after 2 years or 3 years. That is just down to the TOC - it is their discretion. If you sat a test at a TOC that didn't accept them after 3 years, those tests would still be valid for up to 5 years at some TOCs that accept that time frame. TOCs may also ask you if you've had any significant life events since you sat the tests and require you to resit them if you have.

Spincity

The tests are always valid for a maximum of 5 years. However, some TOCs only accept them after 2 years or 3 years. That is just down to the TOC - it is their discretion. If you sat a test at a TOC that didn't accept them after 3 years, those tests would still be valid for up to 5 years at some TOCs that accept that time frame. TOCs may also ask you if you've had any significant life events since you sat the tests and require you to resit them if you have.
Agree, but if you didn’t know this the website does imply the test results are valid for 5 years for all TOCs. Any idea are the extra tests some use included and at the end of the day as you’ve paid for the test do you know the scores and which TOCs standards you’ve meet. Just trying to understand what £550 gets you, not making a judgement on the merits or otherwise of private assessments

John Bishop

Yes, agreed. This ‘valid for 5 years, all TOCs’ statement is misleading and disingenuous at best. It should be qualified by a statement to reflect the truth of the situation.

That’s sales line is likely to lure prospective customers who are not really aware of the reality of the situation which is rather unfair.

Stigy

Established Member

Speaking to the Managers.. The stories they come out with are shocking. The DMI is still very much a large hurdle to overcome.
I found the day(s) intense rather than difficult, but certainly didn’t find the assessments easy. I struggled a bit on the DFFT to start with.

I find if I genuinely couldn’t call it either way as to how I’ve done, it’s generally good news. Same with interviews. I can’t fathom some of these people who boast about things like this before knowing the actual outcome. As far as I’m concerned that’s asking for trouble. Maybe I’m just too superstitious?

Lumpa6259

I found the day(s) intense rather than difficult, but certainly didn’t find the assessments easy. I struggled a bit on the DFFT to start with.

I find if I genuinely couldn’t call it either way as to how I’ve done, it’s generally good news. Same with interviews. I can’t fathom some of these people who boast about things like this before knowing the actual outcome. As far as I’m concerned that’s asking for trouble. Maybe I’m just too superstitious?

I just need to get past the bloody Application paper sift So I can get one passed (hopefully).. I feel reasonably confident I would interview well but I wish someone would have a read over my app form for me and just say it as it is....basically I would like the opinion of others to set my mind at ease a bit!

Spincity

Yes, agreed. This ‘valid for 5 years, all TOCs’ statement is misleading and disingenuous at best. It should be qualified by a statement to reflect the truth of the situation.

That’s sales line is likely to lure prospective customers who are not really aware of the reality of the situation which is rather unfair.
That’s my concern, potentially you think you’ve passed the 1st stage and expect to go to DMI, only to be told you’re not meet the TOC standard, more tests or your test results are over 3 yrs old and need to go all the way to beginning. Again interested if the extra tests are done and after the assessment are you told which TOC you passed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.