• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver - Uniform- Advice please

crew999driver

Hi,

In the process of starting with Northern as a driver and have been sent the uniform order form. The form looks like a general order form given to all staff in all roles.

Coming from the emergency services, I'm used to polo shirts, soft shells and waterproofs. But I'm not sure this is the most appropriate attire for the new role.

Just wondered if anyone could give an insight to what is normal for drivers to wear, particularly females. Got intimidated when I saw the female shoes and options of blouse and skirts. I want to be comfortable but don't want to look put of place wearing safety boots and trousers if it isn't really the norm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dctraindriver

The female drivers I tend to work with wear polo shirts and trousers and boots. Wear what makes you feel comfortable.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi,

In the process of starting with Northern as a driver and have been sent the uniform order form. The form looks like a general order form given to all staff in all roles.

Coming from the emergency services, I'm used to polo shirts, soft shells and waterproofs. But I'm not sure this is the most appropriate attire for the new role.

Just wondered if anyone could give an insight to what is normal for drivers to wear, particularly females. Got intimidated when I saw the female shoes and options of blouse and skirts. I want to be comfortable but don't want to look put of place wearing safety boots and trousers if it isn't really the norm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Does sounds very generic - a skirt isn't a very practical option for a driver if you need to go trackside. Like @dctraindriver almost all female drivers seem to wear polo shirts / shirts and trousers.

Twotwo

I wear polo shirt, shell jacket and leggings as I don't like the work trousers. Don't think I've seen any other female wear skirts or shirts.

newtownmgr

Most drivers both male/female wear polo shirts. Most males wear cargo trousers some & the vast majority of females wear the suit trousers.

GemGem

Hello! Female driver here, I wear polos mainly with a jumper in winter and a soft shell jacket. I don’t like the work trousers too much so I buy my own from M&S! I also wear shorts in the summer as I get quite hot at work. I have the odd shirt lying around though! But I feel most comfy in polo tops

skyhigh

Established Member
Don't think I've seen any other female wear skirts or shirts.
A few at our depot chose the shirt option - same for males. It's probably about a 20-80 split overall in favour of polo shirt though and completely personal preference.

Skirts on the other hand - totally impractical for a driver role.

I want to be comfortable but don't want to look put of place wearing safety boots and trousers if it isn't really the norm.
Trousers are the norm so don't worry about looking out of place in them.

Smelliott

Couldn't comment on Northern, but we have loads of women driving at my TOC and they all wear trousers. Don't think I've ever seen a skirt!

iSquared

I know only one driver who wears a skirt and she always looks very smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Our female Drivers are not allowed to wear skirts. Shoes are more of an issue but there are plenty of options and the new batch of shoes seem to be very popular.

Efini92

Established Member
The quality of the shirts has got poorer with each subsequent owner of the northern franchise. You’re best off with the polos, though they aren’t much better.
Expect your winter coat to start disintegrating after a couple of weeks.

8J

Female drivers at my TOC do wear the dress and skirt options and yes, it is smart. They say that the company issued trousers are not practical for climbing up from track level as I believe that they are quite poorly fitted for females.

Shoes - theres also a vast array that females wear. I know one of our drivers had a massive issue with the company issued boots/shoes being too heavy and damaging her ankles to the extent that she required surgery.

The standards for drivers shoes aren't as strict as conductors as drivers do not put ramps down.