• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver v Signaller: which one and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norm88

Hypothetical situation...

Let's say a TOC Driver versus a grade 7-9 Signaller. Taking all factors into consideration, which career path would you choose and why? What are the pros that outweigh the cons in both grades? What factors swing it for you? Take everything into consideration....job satisfaction, salary, leave arrangements, work life balance, career progression etc...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I’d watch the hell out of that if it was a WWE death match
When you were wee, did you prefer to go out and play or stay in and play? Basically that, but with trains.

sw1ller

Established Member
Most people can only comment one or the other, but on my driver course there were 2 signallers who seemed very pleased to be where they were.

We have a signaller at my local station who should really reconsider his position, he can’t take it and has real problems with a dynamic job.

It’s completely down to the person though, these hypotheticals will only give you one answer or the other. Everyone is different and what suits me won’t suit you.

Main pro to my job is I take nothing home. The second I get out the cab I’m done, there’s a steve shaped hole in the wall before the trains stopped.

From what I’ve seen with with the signallers, their support structure isn’t great, they’re stressed, over worked and not happy.

I know where I’d rather be.

Norm88

Most people can only comment one or the other, but on my driver course there were 2 signallers who seemed very pleased to be where they were.

We have a signaller at my local station who should really reconsider his position, he can’t take it and has real problems with a dynamic job.

It’s completely down to the person though, these hypotheticals will only give you one answer or the other. Everyone is different and what suits me won’t suit you.

Main pro to my job is I take nothing home. The second I get out the cab I’m done, there’s a steve shaped hole in the wall before the trains stopped.

From what I’ve seen with with the signallers, their support structure isn’t great, they’re stressed, over worked and not happy.

Interesting Steve, and thank you for your reply. I suppose I was fully expecting people to be able to only comment one way or the other. I was intrigued how each side saw their own position, given what is available on the other side of the fence.

Norm88

I’d watch the hell out of that if it was a WWE death match
When you were wee, did you prefer to go out and play or stay in and play? Basically that, but with trains.

I played out, but was a fair weather kid so surely that complicates matters further? Can't drive trains on sunny days only

godfreycomplex

Established Member

From the other side of the fence the “take nothing home” advantage is also present in signalling (to an extent)

As for that last point - I’ve worked in boxes like that (and it’s true that 8 hour shift patterns are often punishing), and there’s certainly a fair share of them, and it is also sadly true that there are plenty of people who struggle with the job. But there are definitely some very unhappy and poorly supported train crew depots out there as well with stressed, overworked and over-supervised drivers (and guards) working from them. Not to invalidate the OP’s question in any way, shape or form but in my view this is symptomatic of a wider issue across the industry, rather than an issue necessarily confined to one or two grades

However, it’s also fair to say that there’s a lot of boxes with a good support structure, be it formal, informal, or ideally both.

I enjoy being a signaller, I like how I can think laterally and solve problems, I like having responsibility and control, I like how the job can turn on a farthing, I like how tens of thousands of people pass safely through my hands every day, there’s a lot of things to like. I suppose the main thrust of my earlier post was these things suit different people to an extent. There’s ex-signallers who have thrived driving, and indeed vice versa, I’ve known several ex-drivers in signalling and they’ve really enjoyed it.
Would I like a driver’s role as much as my current one? I can certainly see that it’s possible, but until you actually do it, I suppose you don’t really know....

I played out, but was a fair weather kid so surely that complicates matters further? Can't drive trains on sunny days only
It was more an analogy really, in that the different roles (or aspects of them at least) appeal to different aspects of people’s personalities (or so I believe, anyway)

Last edited:

Saracen_83

I think a lot depends on the person..... and what they want etc....

Signalling wise, there different types ie lever frame, NX and VDU, and within signalling different rosters that can cary greatly from box to box...

I can see a one man box (my friend works in one), grade 4/5 can be quite stressful, hard work etc..... especially if it is the 7th night shift in a row for that person!!!!
Then again, you have grade 8/9 signallers who sit in their comfy £1500 leather chairs, watching ARS route the trains whilst they sit back and drink tea whilst earning 80-100k a year!!!

As someone said to me driving might seem glamourous, but how will you feel walking along the cess at 3am, in the middle of winter, -3 temperature and raining, climbing into a train cab to start work....

Similarly, can you handle being inside all day, looking at a computer, or working on your own, dealing with situations as they arise!???

I for one love my job as a signaller and wouldn’t change it... i love the problem solving aspect. I’m on a 12 hour roster and just come off of a 7/8 day rest days off in a row, to work 3 12 hour shifts.... am I stressed or overworked?? Not at all... challenged yes, situations can be stressful when dealing with them, but once they are over, you can relax again! , but I’m not overworked.. and like a driver I take nothing home with me the moment I leave my panel........

I applied for both signaller and driver roles and got through to the DMI for a driver before I accepted my signaller role.. would I change it? Not at the moment.. I feel I have the best of all worlds, a great rewarding job, that pays very well, challenges me yet does not overly stress me out, plenty of time off (on my 12 hour roster) and when I leave work I leave work at work!

Whatever you decide you need to do it for you, not what other people think! Only you can decide at the end of the day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.