• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver Vacancy - Scotrail, Stranraer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedispatcher

Hello all, wondered if anyone here knows anything about the depot, the nature of the work including routes and traction and anything else that might be relevant.

Cheers,

TD

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Stranraer-Glasgow via Kilmarnock
Some jobs go to Glasgow; some don't
May change with new timetable

No I haven't, although I'm progressing with another TOC atm. It would be nice to know either way though!

rhys37429

i had my thank you but no thank you email this afternoon, good luck to all that applied.

Still waiting...

Can I ask where you guys live in relation to Stranraer (in terms of distance/time) as it seems a difficult place to get to within 45 minutes - unless you live there of course

rhys37429

my application specified i was going to relocate, but im assuming as we arnt in the catchment area its a instant no thank you.

I’m five hours and thirty nine minutes away, so it might be that.

You're virtually in the depot! I'm 8 hours and 20 minutes away!

I specified that I was able to relocate and given the location of Stanraer, I would imagine its an option a lot of people who applied would have mentioned

Well I got my email toady and it said this...

Thank you for your application for the position of TRAIN DRIVER, STRANRAER
at STRANRAER with Abellio ScotRail.

Unfortunately due to a change in business needs this role is no longer available.

So it seems it was nothing to do with the distance from the depot....

paepo

Did anyone manage to get to interview or assessments for this or were the rejections from application stage?

Did anyone manage to get to interview or assessments for this or were the rejections from application stage?

The job was just withdrawn... there doesn't seem to have been any assessment or rejections via the paper sift

Sounds like a qualified driver maybe transferred in?

No qualified driver has transfered to Stranraer. They reopened the vacancy to internal applicants a couple of weeks ago and have interviewed 2 candidates last week.

paepo

No qualified driver has transfered to Stranraer. They reopened the vacancy to internal applicants a couple of weeks ago and have interviewed 2 candidates last week.
Reopened? Any idea when the position was relisted for internals? Didn't notice that had happened.

there's now a vacancy for Mallaig.

Does anyone have any inside knowledge of wether this is just 1 position?

Is it likely to be lined up for an internal applicant?

I would like to apply as a trainee but would mean relocation, been trying to get in touch with their careers on [email protected] but it keeps getting rejected.

Does anyone know if they consider external applicants that would need relocation?

I currently work for TPE as a guard but have all my driver psychometrics passed at TPE standard.

Thanks!

Reopened? Any idea when the position was relisted for internals? Didn't notice that had happened.

No idea, but I know at least one member of staff from Stranraer has had an inteeview for the role last week. I dont tend to look at the internal vacancy lists as any driver would be mad to want to do any other role within the railway, especially with the current shambles of a company in charge!

Are Abellio really THAT bad?

YES! I'd have First back tomorrow and they werent exactly good.

You only have to look closely and see that things are run down, staff morale is low and jobs remain unfilled across all areas of the company ans have done for months and months. Units running around with faults for months, cleanliness has went downhill massively as cleaning teams are cut to the bone and to top it off, Abellio scheduled pay talks and when they turned up they didnt even have any offers to make to the unions!

paepo

Does anyone have any inside knowledge of wether this is just 1 position?

Is it likely to be lined up for an internal applicant?

I would like to apply as a trainee but would mean relocation, been trying to get in touch with their careers on [email protected] but it keeps getting rejected.

Does anyone know if they consider external applicants that would need relocation?

I currently work for TPE as a guard but have all my driver psychometrics passed at TPE standard.

Thanks!

It's listed on the Scotrail Vacancies on Abellio for external candidates to apply, if it were only internal it wouldn't be there. Yes, they'll accept relocation, you can state this on your application.
Best of luck.

It's listed on the Scotrail Vacancies on Abellio for external candidates to apply, if it were only internal it wouldn't be there. Yes, they'll accept relocation, you can state this on your application.
Best of luck.

Thanks for replying!

I’ve tried them again on [email protected] in hope that it gets picked up.

The reason I ask about internal is, knowing what jobs are like sometimes within the railway, is the advert merely a formality, when in fact it’s already lined up for someone within the company (did this happen with the Stranraer vacancy?)

Does anyone know what the setup would be like in regards to training and travelling, assuming a course would be done in Glasgow (I don’t know much of ScotRail setup, so saying Glasgow is just me guessing), would you think they’d put people in accomodation? Again that makes me wonder if they’re hoping for an internal qualified as that would be £££ saved.

If I hear nothing from them, I’ll go for it anyway

Cheers

paepo

Thanks for replying!

I’ve tried them again on [email protected] in hope that it gets picked up.

The reason I ask about internal is, knowing what jobs are like sometimes within the railway, is the advert merely a formality, when in fact it’s already lined up for someone within the company (did this happen with the Stranraer vacancy?)

Does anyone know what the setup would be like in regards to training and travelling, assuming a course would be done in Glasgow (I don’t know much of ScotRail setup, so saying Glasgow is just me guessing), would you think they’d put people in accomodation? Again that makes me wonder if they’re hoping for an internal qualified as that would be £££ saved.

If I hear nothing from them, I’ll go for it anyway

Cheers

No idea who will be applying for it, the vacancy is for both qualified drivers and trainees alike so if a qualified external driver applies and interviews well then one would assume that driver would be more likely to get the position over a trainee (internal or external) but that's not always the case as some trainees may interview even better!

The recruitment for the Stranraer vacancy is still ongoing, both internal and external candidates are being assessed and interviewed. Nobody has been appointed to the role yet and no qualified driver (internal or external) has been given the role despite the conjecture on here or rumour in depots. The recruitment process is a long one given the 1st stage assessments, DMI, 2nd stage assessments, MMI, criminal history checks and medical all need to be done and candidates need to be given notice between these to arrange time off work, child care, etc to attend these appointments. The availability of training course start dates also decides the time frame that the recruitment takes, if it's not for a few months then there's no rush to speed through appointing a candidate.

Why have the bother of trying to contact Abellio/Scotrail? If you're interested enough in the vacancy the easiest thing to do is apply. Yes, it may take a little time but it's good practice for answering questions even if you don't get the job. You then have structured answers for those questions which could help you with other TOC/FOC applications or interviews. Accomodation cost is covered by ScotRail if it's required and is common so would certainly not be viewed as a reason not to employ someone.

No idea who will be applying for it, the vacancy is for both qualified drivers and trainees alike so if a qualified external driver applies and interviews well then one would assume that driver would be more likely to get the position over a trainee (internal or external) but that's not always the case as some trainees may interview even better!

The recruitment for the Stranraer vacancy is still ongoing, both internal and external candidates are being assessed and interviewed. Nobody has been appointed to the role yet and no qualified driver (internal or external) has been given the role despite the conjecture on here or rumour in depots. The recruitment process is a long one given the 1st stage assessments, DMI, 2nd stage assessments, MMI, criminal history checks and medical all need to be done and candidates need to be given notice between these to arrange time off work, child care, etc to attend these appointments. The availability of training course start dates also decides the time frame that the recruitment takes, if it's not for a few months then there's no rush to speed through appointing a candidate.

Why have the bother of trying to contact Abellio/Scotrail? If you're interested enough in the vacancy the easiest thing to do is apply. Yes, it may take a little time but it's good practice for answering questions even if you don't get the job. You then have structured answers for those questions which could help you with other TOC/FOC applications or interviews. Accomodation cost is covered by ScotRail if it's required and is common so would certainly not be viewed as a reason not to employ someone.

I'm intrigued that the vacancy for Stranraer is still live because the email that I received from them said essentially that a business case for it no longer existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.