• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

83G/84D

Established Member
Questions to any drivers on here. What do you carry in your work bags?

Secondly do any of you still use a traditional drivers bag or is everyone using rucksacks now?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PudseyBearHST

Most important thing is lunch. Anything else that fits in is a bonus.

I think notices, torch, hi-vis, manuals, pen would also be in a driver’s bag.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Spare stuff. Spare pens, spare keys, spare shoelaces...

Peter C

Established Member
I'm not a driver, but I know that at Banbury, where quite a few Chiltern services terminate, the drivers have rucksacks. What they carry in them, I don't know, but the OP asked for whether drivers use rucksacks. :) I assume these drivers are from Banbury Depot, as they start their services at Banbury?

-Peter

PudseyBearHST

Don’t forget spare cutlery (ever tried eating a yogurt without a spoon?) and spare out-of-order-toilet/door stickers...

Yup, a large spoon is always good to carry because it works as a substitute for another key o_O:D

Oh and the BR1 key is fantastic to stir your tea with

Headhunco

I carry my hi vis and torch , BR1 key , master key , driver incident/delay report form , little note book with notes for routes junction indicators , shunts etc just in case I forget lol and RT3185 Form and my umbrella

Last edited:

DoubleO

Notices
Spare keys
Bardic & spare batteries
High vis
Route maps
Sunglasses
Spare glasses
RT3185
ESW form

I'd say that's all a minimum for anyone. Interesting that no one mentioned RT3185 or ESW forms till now....

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Maps (for the random shunt that you've forgotten and gets you out of the brown and smelly), Rt3177/3185's & ESW's. Driving licence, traction manuals.

Spare keys, full set of cutlery, torch, gloves, sunglasses, charging leads for phone.
Coffee and tea, fruit and food, travel mug.

Not much really.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Interesting that no one mentioned RT3185 or ESW forms till now....

Because that would be boring. :)

There is a set of equipment that is a requirement; which is found in the rulebook with an additional caveat that it includes "whatever else required by your TOC" ESW tickets will be added in the December update.

Drivers, Guards and other onboard staff have added to the list over the years with good tips for as to what is good to carry; outside the rulebook.

Flask
Lunch
Teabags/coffee
Spare stuff
Various aide memoires
Toilet roll/Tissues
Antibac Hand gel
Cutlery
Pens/Highlighters
Paracetamol

Old school Drivers may still carry the 3 point screwdriver. There is probably more and each member of staff will have various bits and bods they have found useful to carry over the years.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
What about water or some kind of drinks canister that can accommodate water or a hot drink? How about sunglasses?
What, like a hip flask? :E

Torch, HV vest, tablet, phone, pens, waterproof coat, lunch, thermos cup, notebook (not to take down train numbers though...)...wipes...(because people may sneeze over stuff) and hand sanitiser.

83G/84D

Established Member
Glad someone mentioned ESW tickets, there have been problems in the not too distant past with drivers not having them for whatever reason.

When I did pilotman duties I always found the cab handrails climbing up from the track absolutely filthy so made sure I had a pair of gloves albeit not too thick. I used to clean said handrails when I worked on a depot.

ComUtoR

Established Member
notebook (not to take down train numbers though...)

I know a Driver who carries his camera for both Train and Plane spotting. It's a really nice camera too.

I caught 60009 at Vic the other day, much to the chargrin of another Driver. One of the Liveried freight units went past me the other week, again to the chargrin of a spotter friend. I've got a couple of unique photos on my phone, particularly a unit at a station where it shouldn't have been and will doubtful be there again. Stepped up into Tornado, again at Vic, much to the gasps of the onlookers (professional courtsey from the Driver) and had a few, rather hilarious moments in my train where I come into a platform, just at the point where a steamer comes through the other line Great view for me of course :lol:

Some days, I wish I had my camera with me.

Stigy

Established Member
When I did pilotman duties I always found the cab handrails climbing up from the track absolutely filthy so made sure I had a pair of gloves albeit not too thick. I used to clean said handrails when I worked on a depot.
Gloves are something I forgot to mention actually. Trains are filthy on the outside, as I’ve come to realise in the relatively short time I’ve been a trainee for. We get most of stuff this stuff issued and we have to carry it whilst on duty. I’d imagine it’s the same at most TOCs/FOCs?

Llama

Established Member
Handwipes / hand cleaning gel is a must. You think the cleaning of the passenger areas on Northern is bad? Try stepping into one of the cabs. There are stains I recognise in some cabs that have been there since they were last repainted 10+ years ago.

DoubleO

ESW was introduced in the December 2018 rule book change, so good luck completing the form if you're not in possession of one....

ComUtoR

Established Member
ESW was introduced in the December 2018 rule book change, so good luck completing the form if you're not in possession of one....

God I love my company. My Rulebook is still issue 6 !!! We literally only got issued with those this year and told that it was only in use from this year but has been 'trialed' elsewhere !

*edit*

https://catalogues.rssb.co.uk/rgs/rulebooks/GERT8000-RBBL Iss 33.pdf

Module TW1 Preparation and movement of trains
KEY CHANGES

The list of items that a driver must have when on duty in section 21 has been extended to include emergency special working tickets

This is from the current live document (live from 7th December 2019)

*edit 2*

Its issue 5 24/4/2018 :(

Last edited:

DoubleO

God I love my company. My Rulebook is still issue 6 !!! We literally only got issued with those this year and told that it was only in use from this year but has been 'trialed' elsewhere !

Haha brilliant

DoubleO

*edit*

That may be true but that's probably being added as a result of drivers not carrying them.....ESW has been in the rule book since December 2018

ComUtoR

Established Member
When we had paper booklets issued every year. I religiously checked through and made sure I was up to date. We moved to the digital version with it being updated every year. (Yes I know, twice a year for the pedants) We get a briefing every year with the list of changes. We probably only got the briefing because carrying them is now mandatory equipment.

I guess this is the issue with going digital. You are reliant on others to keep it updated. I've had a full assessment since last December and it wasn't in my papers.

I use the app nowadays and tbh I'm glad I do. It's pretty decent and all the updates are in bright orange.

Cheers for the update; most appreciated.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
What, like a hip flask? :E

Torch, HV vest, tablet, phone, pens, waterproof coat, lunch, thermos cup, notebook (not to take down train numbers though...)...wipes...(because people may sneeze over stuff) and hand sanitiser.
Booster seat?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
In mine currently:
Hi Viz
Tablet - contains notices, rule book, WONs and PONs, RT3185 and all maps and traction manuals
Work phone
Charger for above
Charger for personal phone
Headphones
Tea and UHT milk sachets
Biscuits
Lamp and spare batteries
Training materials
Trainee Hours log book
Water bottle
Sunglasses
To be added tomorrow before work:
Lunch
Thermos

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
RT3185
ESW form

I'd say that's all a minimum for anyone. Interesting that no one mentioned RT3185 or ESW forms till now....

Haha I too was getting concerned waiting for someone to mention ESW forms. Of course, key question for all is do you have the latest one? (Should be NR 3190, not 'RT') 8-):p

*edit*

*edit 2*

Its issue 5 24/4/2018

Hahahaha top work!

As others have said, there have been delays where drivers haven't had ESW forms. The new NR 3190 is much better than the previous version (Trial D I believe) as it more closely mirrors the TBW form now.

83G/84D

Established Member
That may be true but that's probably being added as a result of drivers not carrying them.....ESW has been in the rule book since December 2018

Hence my earlier post, really surprised drivers have not had them longer!

Status
Not open for further replies.