• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers banned medication list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AverageJoe

Hi.
Is there an accessible list of medication that drivers cannot take?

I know it is best to ask the individual TOC but if there is a generic list that I could see it would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There won't be a generic list - always liaise with your line manager and occupational health.

If your GP / doctor is recommending medication, state that you are safety-critical and they should be able to confirm whether its likely to be fine or recommend an alternative, but always check with your company.

Established Member
Hi.
Is there an accessible list of medication that drivers cannot take?

I know it is best to ask the individual TOC but if there is a generic list that I could see it would be helpful.

Thanks.

The short answer is “no”, I’m afraid.

A slightly longer one is that occupational health teams generally have a list of approved medications that can be immediately permitted over the phone, but I’ve never heard of one being made available publicly. Other meds may be permissible, subject to a period of monitoring to assess side effects.

Very much something that needs to be disclosed and assessed on a case by case basis.

Last edited:

Efini92

Established Member
I don’t think anything is on medigold’s banned list.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I don’t think anything is on medigold’s banned list.

48hrs off to check side effects or F2 with a phased return.

We did get a 'green list' and a 'red list' at one point but those lists are worthless after it comes out the printer.

Medigold are horrendous.!

dk1

Veteran Member
Ever since I was a child we had Veganin in the house as a pain killer. Never thought anything of taking them until random drug screening one day at work. I got called back in as something had shown up. Wracked my brain trying to think what it could be then suddenly mentioned them, they looked them up & were the cause. One of the ingredients is Codeine a no no for train driving. Explained I’d been taking them for over 40 years on/off like you would paracetamol without knowing.

LCC106

Established Member
Certain medications under circumstances may be allowed for one person when they absolutely wouldn’t for others. I found this out recently. As mentioned ed above, it’s very much a case by case basis for some medication. Definitely declare anything before taking it though. Is there a specific medication you are wondering about?

tlv2019

Does anyone know whether Prep (HIV Prevention) medication is ok? I don‘t take it but thinking about starting it to be safer.

TreacleMiller

Does anyone know whether Prep (HIV Prevention) medication is ok? I don‘t take it but thinking about starting it to be safer.

You'd definitely need approval for that one. Side effects are nasty based on my own experience.

Aivilo

As a general rule anything ending INE is a normally a no but always declare with work and get guidance

NI 271

Is there a particular reason you wouldn't? Medical records are 100% confidential and there's zero chance such disclosure would go any further than HR and probably your line manager.

If you could walk into another job on the same money off the railway, you may consider it a risk worth taking, but if not, it seems like quite a gamble to me. If the company were to find out, I'd be quite surprised to find that even if the diagnosis wasn't something which would, in itself, see you out of a job, trying to cover it up (and being caught out) may well do.

The read may be because I believe that I was misdiagnosed with Fibromyalgia.
I don't think I have it as I don't have the symptoms. The only symptom I have is acking of my feet, but that is not always.

How can the company find out? As well is it a legal requirement to disclose any changes of my medical health?

LCC106

Established Member
If you have an incident and it is discovered you may have Fibromyalgia and it wasn’t disclosed, they will scrutinise why you didn’t tell them as it may potentially be a contributing factor. If you had declared it in the first place, they can do risk assessments and send for medical reports and if they are able, make reasonable adjustments to your role. Always best to declare.

In terms of medication, always declare to Occ Health (or however it is reported in your company) so they can assess whether you can do safety critical work while on it. Sometimes they just put you on light duties for a few weeks until it kicks in.

Hard job to get, easy one to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.