• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers: coupling up in a 377/7

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffall

Although I am aiming this query at Southern drivers I'll just explain for others what I'm on about...

On the older generation 377's the hill start button is on the power/brake controller, to move away you hold the button in which keeps it in a step 1 brake application while you move the controller through the neutral position and into a power notch, when you feel the unit beginning to pull you release the button, the brake comes off and away you go.

On the 377/7 (and on the 387 which is why I'm asking) the hill start button has been moved to a new location on the desk. You press the button and it lights up and the brakes are held on and - his is where it differs - you must select at least NOTCH 2 POWER and then when the unit's computer senses that enough power is being taken then it releases the brake for you. Simples.

So, when coupling up in an older 377 you simply hold the button in, select notch 1 - which is the advised power notch for coupling - release the button and it moves slowly forward for a nice smooth couple.

So the questions (eventually got here) what is the procedure for coupling in a 377/7? The guys who have attended the 387 brief have come away with some notes and a DVD but are none the wiser and when asked about this the trainers aren't too sure either. And the southern guys I have spoken to haven't had to do it thus far and they aren't too sure either.
Do you select notch 2 then quickly drop back into 1? Or does this result in the unit lurching unceremoniously forward into a heavy "controlled collision"? has anyone got a technique or seen a published procedure? Or do we just wing it on the day

Edit: searching the forum there has been some mention of this, is it on the desk in a 377/6 too? And 379 ? How have drivers got on with the desk mounted button?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

O L Leigh

Established Member
Has the 379 got this?

On the desk, yes.

But it's practically redundant. These units simply don't roll back no matter what my former colleagues might claim. I've never used the hill start button on a Cl379, even when I've been stopped on the fierce gradient at the last signal before plunging into Stansted Airport Tunnel, and I've never rolled back. The power comes in before the brake cylinder pressure drops to zero.

As for coupling up, the best advice I can give is to select notch 1 and then shut off immediately the unit moves. Cl379s have a habit of lurching forward quite alarmingly no matter how little power you select. Leaving the power on would result in a heavy contact.

O L Leigh

SPADTrap

Established Member
On the desk, yes.

But it's practically redundant. These units simply don't roll back no matter what my former colleagues might claim. I've never used the hill start button on a Cl379, even when I've been stopped on the fierce gradient at the last signal before plunging into Stansted Airport Tunnel, and I've never rolled back. The power comes in before the brake cylinder pressure drops to zero.

As for coupling up, the best advice I can give is to select notch 1 and then shut off immediately the unit moves. Cl379s have a habit of lurching forward quite alarmingly no matter how little power you select. Leaving the power on would result in a heavy contact.

O L Leigh

Thanks for that O L Leigh!

leaffall

Thanks for the above, don't know what the powers that be would say about not using the hill start, however that does seem to make it easier and negates the need to go into step 2 for a release.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Do you even need to be using the hill start button on the older versions of these units? With the experience I've had with Cl379s I'm not even sure it would be necessary. Do these units roll back at all?

O L Leigh

westcoaster

Established Member
Do you even need to be using the hill start button on the older versions of these units? With the experience I've had with Cl379s I'm not even sure it would be necessary. Do these units roll back at all?

O L Leigh

Yes they can had a few at FCC on the 377, brake pressure comes of instantly on the /5's, but then again we use our thumb on the cpbc not a button on the desk.
Never once not used hill start, it's written in the driving policy to use it. Be on a sticky wicket if you don't.

Last edited:

otomous

Notch 2 then quickly back to 1. It's a bit trickier to ensure you have enough momentum than with the old 377s, and they do tend to couple more gently as a result which can you think they haven't connected, but it's just a case of learning a slightly different technique.

leaffall

Yes they can had a few at FCC on the 377, brake pressure comes of instantly on the /5's, but then again we use our thumb on the cpbc not a button on the desk.
Never once not used hill start, it's written in the driving policy to use it. Be on a sticky wicket if you don't.

Im still training and I got into a buggers muddle the other day and released the hill start button too early and it rolled back a couple of inches before I stopped it.

But Otomous has said what I thought, take notch 2 then quickly back to 1. I imagine it might be a bit tricky to master, but we'll see:)

otomous

Im still training and I got into a buggers muddle the other day and released the hill start button too early and it rolled back a couple of inches before I stopped it.

But Otomous has said what I thought, take notch 2 then quickly back to 1. I imagine it might be a bit tricky to master, but we'll see:)

Don't worry, we've all done that! The old 377s feel more controllable because you are physically holding in the hill start button until you almost feel it pulling away - like releasing the handbrake on a car when you feel it bite. With the new ones you just have to remember the equivalent is taking power notch 2, don't move out of 1 until you feel happy to do so - I usually count to 5. I've had rollbacks on them when I've done it too quick.

physics34

Established Member
Don't worry, we've all done that! The old 377s feel more controllable because you are physically holding in the hill start button until you almost feel it pulling away - like releasing the handbrake on a car when you feel it bite. With the new ones you just have to remember the equivalent is taking power notch 2, don't move out of 1 until you feel happy to do so - I usually count to 5. I've had rollbacks on them when I've done it too quick.

I also rolled back a touch yesterday

Bigfoot

Is there not a low speed mode which restricts the top speed to around 3mph?

O L Leigh

Established Member
I would tentatively suggest that even 3mph would make for a fairly heavy contact, as anyone who has walked into a door or any other solid object will attest. Delners don't need to be walloped like Tightlocks, and even on Tightlock equipped units we only took notch 1. Taking notch 2 to couple up seems rather excessive, even if that is your company's instruction.

I think you boys are just going to have to have a bit of a play with your new toys when you get them to discover just what they will and won't do and then work backwards from there.

O L Leigh

The 387 electro stars are identical in coupling behaviour to all 5 car Southern electro stars introduced last year and this year and the Southern drivers have not had any problems coupling ( it happens daily at Purley).

Status
Not open for further replies.