• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers departing safely using Platform Sceen Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howie

Are there any drivers that struggle to determine there are no passengers trapped in PSD/PED when departing platforms?
Are drivers to depart just having interlock and platform doors shown as closed? CCTV images can be hard to determine that no one is trapped, especially when platform are busy.
Wondering if any drivers on PED/PSD fitted lines have any experience

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whoosh

Established Member
I haven't any experience of PEDs myself, but I can imagine that because of the screens, there is not thought to be a need for standing behind a yellow line - which would give a clearer view that no clothing, bags, or people were trapped.

Although saying that, do PEDs have more sensitive edge detection than regular train doors?

Established Member
Obviously if something is trapped in a platform screen door and not a train door, there isn’t the risk of someone being dragged onto the track, when the doors remain safely on the platform. They will open again after a few minutes when the next train arrives!

futureA

Are there any drivers that struggle to determine there are no passengers trapped in PSD/PED when departing platforms?
Are drivers to depart just having interlock and platform doors shown as closed? CCTV images can be hard to determine that no one is trapped, especially when platform are busy.
Wondering if any drivers on PED/PSD fitted lines have any experience

Two ways.
On the Elizabeth line and Jubilee line the trains have CCTV screens in the cabs which shows feeds from cameras on the platform.
The second way is that the PED door system is integrated into the trains door system so if a door is not closed it will show as not closed in the cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.