• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driver's responsibilities after a fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoogaBarooga

Just wondering if a driver could outline what they are required to do in the event of a fatality.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Thinking back when to when I was involved in one several years ago. There isn't much you can do apart from communication and you're under no obligation to go back to the body.

Stop the train. Make an REC (Rail Emergency Call). Contact control and the BTP fatality line. Wait for the cavalry to arrive. Once you've been taken off site by management you'll fill in a report and then sent home until you're ready to return.

The company's chain of care should kick in and you'll be likely be offered counselling if you want it. It's a shock trauma event that affects everyone differently, some may return fairly soon after the event, others may return after a few months and some may never drive again.

dk1

Veteran Member
After making the REC and communicating with your guard (if you have one) and talking to the BTP there is nothing really you can do until the emergency services arrive. Another police statement will usually need to be made and then it’s just a waiting game until a driver manager &/or relief driver arrive. This has personally taken up to 90 minutes.

railfan99

Established Member
...then it’s just a waiting game until a driver manager &/or relief driver arrive. This has personally taken up to 90 minutes.

'Up to 90 minutes', suggesting sometimes it's expedited, is quite reasonable as police in my country often do not 'release' the train for two to four hours.

dk1

Veteran Member
'Up to 90 minutes', suggesting sometimes it's expedited, is quite reasonable as police in my country often do not 'release' the train for two to four hours.

Thankfully 90 was the worst for me. So much can depend on location & circumstance.

driver9000

Established Member
British Transport Police aim to have lines reopened within 90 minutes where possible for non suspicious deaths.

chuff chuff

British Transport Police aim to have lines reopened within 90 minutes where possible for non suspicious deaths.
This is why they want you to phone the BTP hot line so they can decide if suspicious or not and start the clock.

spellbound330

Some trains have equipment underneath which may need to be switched off to allow the emergency service to do their job safely.

bramling

Veteran Member
Just wondering if a driver could outline what they are required to do in the event of a fatality.

The general expectation is that the driver is likely to be shaken up by the incident and therefore able to do very little.

For the driver the main response is simply to make the immediate situation safe - stop the train, secure the train, inform the signaller by way of an emergency call and if possible speak to control, inform the guard (if there is one), inform the passengers, and then essentially wait for responders to arrive. If the driver feels able then they can do more. A relieving driver will be sent as a matter of routine to take over.

the stripler

Thinking back when to when I was involved in one several years ago. There isn't much you can do apart from communication and you're under no obligation to go back to the body.

Stop the train. Make an REC (Rail Emergency Call). Contact control and the BTP fatality line. Wait for the cavalry to arrive. Once you've been taken off site by management you'll fill in a report and then sent home until you're ready to return.

The company's chain of care should kick in and you'll be likely be offered counselling if you want it. It's a shock trauma event that affects everyone differently, some may return fairly soon after the event, others may return after a few months and some may never drive again.
And what options are available if a driver feels they are unable to return to driving...

E27007

There is also the chain of command.
Top level is the ECO (Electrical Control Officer), then the Signaller, those are the people in order of authority who have to take the lead role in the immediate response to the emergency situation reported by the driver

Last edited:

GemGem

I had one a few weeks ago and this is very similar of the process I went through. The BTP, MIO and emergency services were fantastic. Felt very supported by everyone at the time and also afterwards.

railfan99

Established Member
Within reason, after such (euphemism) "incidents", given individuals' reactions widely vary, how much leave is typically paid by the TOCs if a driver genuinely says he requires it to recover?

I have come across drivers in Oz who are back to work within two or three days but that won't occur with every colleague, as driver9000 mentioned.

driver9000

Established Member
Within reason, after such (euphemism) "incidents", given individuals' reactions widely vary, how much leave is typically paid by the TOCs if a driver genuinely says he requires it to recover?

I have come across drivers in Oz who are back to work within two or three days but that won't occur with every colleague, as driver9000 mentioned.

All of it is paid. I've known Drivers be off for 12 months after a fatality.

CAF397

Lucky enough to not have had to deal with this yet.

What I don't agree with is at my TOC they book you as sick. This will sit on your personnel file as such. As someone who takes pride in their attendance for work, having a fatality absence recoded as sick leave is not right.

dk1

Veteran Member
Lucky enough to not have had to deal with this yet.

What I don't agree with is at my TOC they book you as sick. This will sit on your personnel file as such. As someone who takes pride in their attendance for work, having a fatality absence recoded as sick leave is not right.

Unfortunately that’s how it has to be done & of course if you have a sick certification from your doctor who I have seen within the first few days each time. It is also on your record as having a fatality so has no comeback on yourself. I am one who prides myself in my attendance having had 100% on around 25 years in my career. It’s simply part & parcel of the job of being a driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.