• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drivers tests. Hand to eye. Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth111278

Hi
There's a possibility I might be stirring the dreaded tests!

One of them is the hand to eye coordination test with th two joy sticks guiding the ball round the course.
They suggest playing computer games to hone your skills.
Does anyone have any ideas on games or apps that are good for this?
Other wise I'll just play loads of Mario Kart!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi
There's a possibility I might be stirring the dreaded tests!

One of them is the hand to eye coordination test with th two joy sticks guiding the ball round the course.
They suggest playing computer games to hone your skills.
Does anyone have any ideas on games or apps that are good for this?
Other wise I'll just play loads of Mario Kart!!

First person shooters are good for this. You need to use both thumbs on the sticks to aim. If you want a good game too then I recommend battlefield 1

ComUtoR

Established Member
I'd say the "Top Down" "Twin Stick" shooters. Stuff like Dead Nation (PS4)

Super Stardust would be a good option.

Generally anything that makes your head/eyes go in one direction but you need to move in another (strafing/kiting etc.)

Gareth111278

I'd say the "Top Down" "Twin Stick" shooters. Stuff like Dead Nation (PS4)

Super Stardust would be a good option.

Generally anything that makes your head/eyes go in one direction but you need to move in another (strafing/kiting etc.)

Thanks again, I'll look into those too.

Gekko5154

The 2 hand co ordination is a very easy task. I left the track a million and one times but still passed. They want to see if you can get from point A to point B quickly. So don't take your time dont purposely leave the track but if you do leave just get back and continue. It's very easy bro. Left stick controls left to right and right stick controls up and down. You have to go over the same track like 13 times or so

Andy-mc

Closest thing would be some kind of old school Atari game, the test reminded me of one of a computerised version of those wire mazes where you have to guide a loop round it without touching the sides :D

Its nothing to really worry about one does up and down and the other does left and right, quite fun in a weird way

Other tests are a lot more testing, like looking through a phone directory while listening to a recording of an elevator

Hardest is the MMI as you really don't know how well you've done until you get the result

Gareth111278

Thanks to you both.
So speed is the key? Do you get a practice to get a feel for the controls?

I've heard about the phone book & the elevator, sounds interesting!

The MMI, that's the one where you say how helpful the statements are?
I'd think you can't second guess it or you'll catch yourself out?

Gekko5154

Again the tea occ is a straight forward task. Its done in 3 stages. The 1st is counting the tones. There will be a low tone and a high tone being played and you have to count all the low tones. You have practice to familiarise yourself with the low tones. You have to put your hands on your knees. I didn't practice for this test and separated the tones mentally so I can't offer guidence on how to do it.

Next is part 2. Theres talk of finding a plumber looking through a yellow pages. Its one big sheet you will have in front of you and you have 45 seconds to look for matching symbols. The symbols you have to look out for are star/star,cross/cross,circle/circle,square/square.

3rd is listening to tones(just one toned being played) and searching for same symbols.

Once passed you have the computer tests. You do get practice on all tests apart from MMI.

As for the MMI you will be asked the same 6 questions as everybody else and this doesn't change regarding your sjt results. The questions are as follows:
1.Describe a time you dealt with a difficult problem and what obstacles you had to overcome
2.Describe a time you had to follow rules and procedures.
3.Describe a time you worked alone for a long period.
4.Describe a time you've been on a training course longer than2 weeks
5.Describe a time you've been in a emergency situation.
6.Describe a role you do thats similar to that of a train driver.

Any questions just pm bro. Just go in there prepared and calm and you will be ok.

choochoochoo

Established Member
you could buy a Bop-It device

They are good for training hand/eye or hand/ear coordination

Raul_Duke

I wouldn't be massively concerned about this one tbh.

The controls/feedback are that different from pretty much any video game all you'll do is panic when you realise how different they are from what you've been practicing.

It's really not that hard.

The tests are designed so you can either do them or you can't.

If you can't move your hands independently enough to pass this one, you've got bigger problems than trying to become a train driver ;)

Gareth111278

I wouldn't be massively concerned about this one tbh.

The controls/feedback are that different from pretty much any video game all you'll do is panic when you realise how different they are from what you've been practicing.

It's really not that hard.

The tests are designed so you can either do them or you can't.

If you can't move your hands independently enough to pass this one, you've got bigger problems than trying to become a train driver ;)

Thanks that's reassuring :)

davidacton

It's not a hard test. As people have said you can leave the line. But make sure you go back in straight away when you do leave the line.

You will the line at some point as it's designed to make you over compensate with the movement of the sticks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.