• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving for Cross Country Trains (Pros and Cons)

Alumni

What's it like working for Cross Country Trains? There’s a lot I’d like to know, and there's probably other prospective applicants that share the same thoughts too.

In the absence of first hand experience it can sometimes help to hear from those in the know. Having read through many posts there’s some good information, but at the same time I’m left wondering about other aspects (possibly more than I can remember). And rather than ask multiple questions elsewhere I figured this thread might be helpful to myself and others.

It would be great to have an insight on what it’s like working for XC (whether it be good, not so good, or a bit of both). Anything from matters like T&Cs to the quality of training or everyday politics. Do you enjoy it at XC, or would you prefer to move to another TOC and why? Or maybe you’re aspiring to join, or you left to go elsewhere. In any situation, what is it you like and dislike about XC?

Any views on other aspects would be great to know as well (diagrams, rosters, morale, facilities, pension etc). Whatever you feel like sharing is greatly appreciated and it might help other prospective Drivers as well.

Many thanks :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tysoe

This would indeed be useful and I've been thinking a post that extends this to all TOCs would be great, I'm sure it's too complex, but almost ranking the best TOCs to work for.

Not sure how it would be done tho and would need a lot of current drivers from the different companies to go through what's good and not so good, what they like, what they don't.

I've got applications in for 4 different TOCs at the minute, not that I anticipate I will, but if I get through each process I've no idea which I'd choose other then maybe which I'm closest too, which route I'd prefer, although I don't really have anything to base that on!

1867Blue

I applied for them in December, my application is still showing “application in process” so I’d say the recruitment process is pretty slow!

Established Member
This would indeed be useful and I've been thinking a post that extends this to all TOCs would be great, I'm sure it's too complex, but almost ranking the best TOCs to work for.

Not sure how it would be done tho and would need a lot of current drivers from the different companies to go through what's good and not so good, what they like, what they don't.

I've got applications in for 4 different TOCs at the minute, not that I anticipate I will, but if I get through each process I've no idea which I'd choose other then maybe which I'm closest too, which route I'd prefer, although I don't really have anything to base that on!

If it’s about getting in somewhere as a trainee you’re likely just to end up taking the first that gives you an offer, and will generally only be able to apply to places close to where you live due to commuting requirements. Being sniffy about the work, the culture of the TOC etc. isn’t likely to be a factor for most people.

Moving as a qualified driver is a different proposition, however.