• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving tips that you’ve picked up along the way (for road vehicles).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
If someone did that in front of me I’d assume they were some kind of idiot child playing with their switches and not focussing on driving.

I’d close up and look to get past at the first opportunity.

No idea which part of any driving instruction, course or highway code/law that is supposed to refer to in terms of good driving.

I'd say an idiot is best off in front; that way you're always in control of the situation. Let them take their accident elsewhere.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CM

Prats driving around without lights on - some have whizzy cars that have automatic front marker lights, and presumably think this absolves them the responsibility of switching it themselves.

I guess you're referring to the clowns who drive around with nothing but the DRLs(Daytime Running Lights)on with no lights at all at the rear. I come across this quite often whilst on my Motorcycle. Perhaps it's about time manufacturers set cars up so that the head/tail lights can't be turned off. It's a common thing on motorcycles these days so why can't they do it with cars?!

MotCO

Established Member
An ex had a tyre go, but wheel nuts had been done by a garage with air tools and would not budge. Walked a couple of miles to a garage and borrowed an extension bar which did it. They then got the business for replacing the tyre! Made me wonder about always keeping a bar in the boot.

A really good tip I can give is when you are short on fuel and looking at your options, remember to consider if you’ll still be on the same motorway at the next services :)

I reckoned I had 50miles of fuel, next services was advertised as 32 (or something like that) so tight but ok. Sadly I forgot I turned off M6 onto M42 and M40. Next services was almost bang on 50 miles away, I know that because it turned out my car had 49. Ran out and stopped with mile marker in front 8-)

I wish I could say I never let it get low again but I havealbeit not like that.

Could you have turned off the motorway and found a local petrol station which would probably be at a reasonable price? Alternatively, topping up only a few gallons at a motorway services could have kept you going but wouldn't cost a king's ransom as a full tank would have done.

corfield

Could you have turned off the motorway and found a local petrol station which would probably be at a reasonable price? Alternatively, topping up only a few gallons at a motorway services could have kept you going but wouldn't cost a king's ransom as a full tank would have done.
Possibly, this was late 90s so didnt have the access to dynamically navigate like that which one would have today. All the M42/M40 junctions don’t look obviously inviting to find something. Which just adds time. Plus it was a dawning realisation quite late that this “32 miles seems to be wrong”.

cactustwirly

Established Member
I suspect you'll also get a longer life on diesel vehicles with a low first gear than petrols with a very high one, to be fair. My Defender will, in first even in high range, start out with almost no clutch slip at all, even on a hill. Whereas I once had a Renault Laguna 1.6 petrol as a courtesy car, it was easy to stall and 1st was so high that you had to slip loads (for probably a couple of seconds at least) just to get it moving.

A diesel has more torque so you need less gas at the biting point. A petrol needs more gas to get moving, but it should never slip. A clutch will only slip if it is about to give out

Tom B

Established Member
I guess you're referring to the clowns who drive around with nothing but the DRLs(Daytime Running Lights)on with no lights at all at the rear. I come across this quite often whilst on my Motorcycle. Perhaps it's about time manufacturers set cars up so that the head/tail lights can't be turned off. It's a common thing on motorcycles these days so why can't they do it with cars?!

I think the opposite; the increasing automation and lights on all the time etc has lead to a certain segment of society thinking "great, we don't need to worry about lights anymore".

And speaking of motorcycles, one of the most dangerous road users that I see is the kamikaze moped delivery drivers delivering pizza. Usually going at a silly speed and doing ridiculous manoeuvres, and eyes glued to a mobile phone rather than to the road. Closely followed by minicab and multi-drop couriers.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I guess you're referring to the clowns who drive around with nothing but the DRLs(Daytime Running Lights)on with no lights at all at the rear.

Daytime running lights are always on whether you like them or not, and regardless of weather, you don't actively choose to turn them on. They're not like parking lights. But, as you say, you don't get them on the rear. I agree that you probably should.

Both my cars have automatic lights and so I normally let the car do it's own thing. It's easy to disengage from monitoring whether the car's decision about turning the lights on is the correct one. My cars normally get it right but sometimes they need overriding.

I'll never understand people who put parking/side lights on. If it's dark enough for parking lights, it's dark enough for headlights.

I learned that day the hard shoulder is a scary place to be!

I've been taught not to even attempt to change a tyre when on the hard shoulder, leave it for the recovery service to do it. I know fine well how to do it, but I agree it's too dangerous, and even on the near side I won't.

IIRC the breakdown services won't do it either now, they'll tow you somewhere safe.

Last edited:

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
A couple of points that have occurred to me to do with consideration for pedestrians and cyclists.
  • If you have a loud music player in your car, turn it down so it can't be heard significantly outside the car - and if you like it even moderately loud, close your windows in towns. You have no idea how annoying it is to be walking along the pavement and for 10-20 seconds be unable to hear yourself speak because of the loud music blaring out from one of the cars stopped at the traffic lights. Plus, it doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look like an inconsiderate prat. (And can you really concentrate on driving with such loud music anyway?)
  • Ditto if you have an ultra-noisy sports-style engine. OK, maybe a bit hard to get rid of it if you already have one, but don't buy the car in the first place. They are totally inconsiderate to, basically everyone else who uses the roads and isn't deaf.
  • When you are overtaking cyclists, seriously leave a wide gap. Move out as far as you safely can, up to a couple of metres (unless obviously it's slow moving traffic in a queue). Too many motorists don't seem to understand that cyclists sometimes have to slightly change direction and road position because of small defects in the road surface or items on the road that you wouldn't even see in a car, but which could do serious damage to a cyclist's wheels. I've had a couple of times recently when I've been forced to risk that damage because just as I came up to and became aware of an obstacle, a car was moving to overtake me so close that I couldn't safely move road position (and you wouldn't want to brake suddenly with a car coming up behind you).

PeterC

Established Member
Daytime running lights are always on whether you like them or not, and regardless of weather, you don't actively choose to turn them on. They're not like parking lights. But, as you say, you don't get them on the rear. I agree that you probably should.

Both my cars have automatic lights and so I normally let the car do it's own thing. It's easy to disengage from monitoring whether the car's decision about turning the lights on is the correct one. My cars normally get it right but sometimes they need overriding.

I'll never understand people who put parking/side lights on. If it's dark enough for parking lights, it's dark enough for headlights.
The combination of front only DRLs and automatic lights can be a problem. Where I used to automatically switch headlights on in rain or poor visibility it is too easy to leave it to the automatics which can leave the rear lights off when you really want them on.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The combination of front only DRLs and automatic lights can be a problem. Where I used to automatically switch headlights on in rain or poor visibility it is too easy to leave it to the automatics which can leave the rear lights off when you really want them on.

I don't wholly understand why DRLs are front only - rear reds would have benefit as well.

MotCO

Established Member
  • If you have a loud music player in your car, turn it down so it can't be heard significantly outside the car - and if you like it even moderately loud, close your windows in towns. You have no idea how annoying it is to be walking along the pavement and for 10-20 seconds be unable to hear yourself speak because of the loud music blaring out from one of the cars stopped at the traffic lights. Plus, it doesn't make you look cool. It makes you look like an inconsiderate prat. (And can you really concentrate on driving with such loud music anyway?)

And if you have the radio turned up, how can you hear other vehicles around you, particularly motor bikes and emergency services?

corfield

• When you are overtaking cyclists, seriously leave a wide gap. Move out as far as you safely can, up to a couple of metres (unless obviously it's slow moving traffic in a queue). Too many motorists don't seem to understand that cyclists sometimes have to slightly change direction and road position because of small defects in the road surface or items on the road that you wouldn't even see in a car, but which could do serious damage to a cyclist's wheels. I've had a couple of times recently when I've been forced to risk that damage because just as I came up to and became aware of an obstacle, a car was moving to overtake me so close that I couldn't safely move road position (and you wouldn't want to brake suddenly with a car coming up behind you).

Sorry but as a lifetime cyclist “a couple of metres” is far more than an adult needs.

Cyclists do not weave that much at all - even avoiding a pot hole or drain grid doesn require that much adjustment.

What is incredibly stressful for a cyclist is a car behind them not going past. They dont know why without looking (which isn’t easy/prompts the wobble you refer to) and the sense being a problem/in the way is distracting.

Telling people to give metres means they dont go past unless the other side is clear to use. That usually guarantees no-one gets past and builds up frustration on all sides.

As a cyclist just as with a car you should be able to stop for an obstruction.

A good driver will look at what is in front of the cyclist just as they would look at what is in front of them/the car in front and make a judgement. If it is clear then there is no reason for the cyclist to need any more than 2-3ft. Clearly passing speed is a factor, faster = more space, and if the road is clear then take the opportunity to give more.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Agreed. When my dad found that he was no longer able to drive he gave me the keys to his car. The automatic front lights were sufficiently bright to make me think that I was driving on dipped headlights, but there were no rear lights. It took a few flashes from other drivers to make me realise, and if I ventured outwith the street lights it quickly became apparent that I wasn't using the correct setting!

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
What is incredibly stressful for a cyclist is a car behind them not going past. They dont know why without looking (which isn’t easy/prompts the wobble you refer to) and the sense being a problem/in the way is distracting.

Interesting. Your experience is evidently different from mine: I don't generally find it at all stressful if a car is waiting behind me. In fact, usually I appreciate it because I know that usually it means the driver is being considerate and not trying to overtake at a point where it's dangerous to do so. And figuring out with more certainty why they are holding back isn't usually much of an issue. I don't find glancing back difficult - at least enough to see roughly where the car is and whether it has indicators flashing - and I often have a mirror anyway. And even without looking back, I can often hear roughly what kind of vehicle it is (car, bus, etc.) I already know the road conditions - whether overtaking would be safe, whether I'll need to pull out in a few seconds, which the driver behind may well have also noticed. And I also know whether there's a side turn or something coming up that the car may be wanting to turn into - so I already know the likely reasons why a car or other vehicle could be waiting behind me. And usually, if my quick assessment tells me that I'm likely to be holding the vehicle up for more than a few seconds, I will look for a safe place to pull in slightly to let him/her past and gesture my intentions - which often (though not always) attracts a wave from the driver, or a thank-you light-flashing from the bus driver. (Bus drivers in London are btw usually exceptionally good at indicating a thank-you - far more often than any other group of drivers in my experience. But I'm really going off-topic and getting too gossipy now aren't I :lol: )

On the other hand - a car that comes up at speed and overtakes too near/too fast/when it's not really safe - fpr me, that is stressful. (Note to other cyclists - it's also stressful when cyclists come up and overtake too near - especially when they do it on my left. And downright annoying if I'm slowing down for a pedestrian crossing that someone is obviously waiting at, and they still overtake).

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed. When my dad found that he was no longer able to drive he gave me the keys to his car. The automatic front lights were sufficiently bright to make me think that I was driving on dipped headlights, but there were no rear lights. It took a few flashes from other drivers to make me realise, and if I ventured outwith the street lights it quickly became apparent that I wasn't using the correct setting!

You aren't, however, required to use headlights if there is street lighting:

Though it does say to use sidelights, and in my understanding what people call sidelights on modern cars actually aren't, rather they are parking lights.

Must be one of those very rare cases when everyone acts in excess of the law without even thinking about it.

MotCO

Established Member
You aren't, however, required to use headlights if there is street lighting:

Though it does say to use sidelights, and in my understanding what people call sidelights on modern cars actually aren't, rather they are parking lights.

Must be one of those very rare cases when everyone acts in excess of the law without even thinking about it.

I have a feeling that use of highlights became more prevalent after the power cuts in the winter of discontent in 1979. Before that, sidelights were the norm; the darker towns during power cuts and the randomness of the cuts led to more people using headlights, which I think is more sensible. I'm not sure what the purpose of side lights is unless for illumination when parked; a previous car I had (a Cavalier) allowed you to park with only one side lit by using the indicator switch which I thought was a good idea, now abandoned.

corfield

Interesting. Your experience is evidently different from mine: I don't generally find it at all stressful if a car is waiting behind me. In fact, usually I appreciate it because I know that usually it means the driver is being considerate and not trying to overtake at a point where it's dangerous to do so. And figuring out with more certainty why they are holding back isn't usually much of an issue. I don't find glancing back difficult - at least enough to see roughly where the car is and whether it has indicators flashing - and I often have a mirror anyway. And even without looking back, I can often hear roughly what kind of vehicle it is (car, bus, etc.) I already know the road conditions - whether overtaking would be safe, whether I'll need to pull out in a few seconds, which the driver behind may well have also noticed. And I also know whether there's a side turn or something coming up that the car may be wanting to turn into - so I already know the likely reasons why a car or other vehicle could be waiting behind me. And usually, if my quick assessment tells me that I'm likely to be holding the vehicle up for more than a few seconds, I will look for a safe place to pull in slightly to let him/her past and gesture my intentions - which often (though not always) attracts a wave from the driver, or a thank-you light-flashing from the bus driver. (Bus drivers in London are btw usually exceptionally good at indicating a thank-you - far more often than any other group of drivers in my experience. But I'm really going off-topic and getting too gossipy now aren't I :lol: )

On the other hand - a car that comes up at speed and overtakes too near/too fast/when it's not really safe - fpr me, that is stressful. (Note to other cyclists - it's also stressful when cyclists come up and overtake too near - especially when they do it on my left. And downright annoying if I'm slowing down for a pedestrian crossing that someone is obviously waiting at, and they still overtake).

As a cyclist I dont want to hold car drivers up. When one is sitting there it bothers me as to why they dont just go past. Clearly good reasons (turns/obstructions etc.) are obvious but your message of effectively “leave a carriageway spare” means that few will be able to overtake - that isnt helpful as it builds massive frustration and congestion. Bikes are not green if one causes 100s of people to drive in iniefficent manner, nor safe as the human frustration build up leads inevitsbly to unsafe outcomes just as HGVs/caravans do (hence the very sensible raising if HGV speed on A roads a few years back which I believe had a signifcant impact on reducing accidents). We don’t need as much space as a horse as we aren’t animals that get startled.

I also see as a driver that when I do have to sit behind a cyclist, it unsettles them, their looks/balance go off. Ok it may be the constant horn, nudging of their back wheel and so on that contribute a little to that but the point is cyclists ideally want to flow freely and not feel they are constantly having to interact with vehicles. The same reason we invented pavements to seperate fast (wheeled/mounted) and slow (foot) traffic. (There is a point there!)

I cycle fairly assertively, at junctions/roundabouts I behave like a car and move out to dominate my bit of roadspace - but with anticipation, right gearing and some effort I can match or exceed a car’s acceleration/speed on those sections - before moving back in as speeds rise. It feels safer in that I am clearly visible, have my own space and I’m not actually in their way any more that another car would be. I much prefer being on the road than in a cycle lane unless the latter is a mini road in itself. Any cycle “provision” that requires effectively becoming a pedestrian with a bike is ignored as contemptible, as are “shared space” where it’s assumed pedestrians can and should be confined in some way and that entrances/vision and surface quality are things other people should think about. Probably best to avoid any more OT cycle lane rant :)

Noting even on my hack bike (early 90s mtb albeit slim tyres) I’m capable of 25mph and crusing high teens. On my road bike add another 5.

Seriously do bikes undertake you? How? You must be a long way off the kerb for that to be possible? Perhaps they are sending a message! (Ah there is nothing so gratifying as undertaking someone cruising in the middle lane with the inside empty for miles and seeing them pull over in your mirror. So I hear anyway...)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Front fogs are useful on dark rural roads, even if it isn't foggy, as they highlight immediately in front of the car, especially the near side, in a way you don't get with the full beams on. But I knock
Rear fogs? Great in heavy rain too, better to beseen than not seen. The only real issue with rear fogs is that they disguise brake lights, so I'm cautious using them in stop-start traffic...
If that’s true, why weren’t they called “heavy rain or fog lights” when introduced? Presumably because you aren’t actually supposed to use them in heavy rain...

corfield

If that’s true, why weren’t they called “heavy rain or fog lights” when introduced? Presumably because you aren’t actually supposed to use them in heavy rain...
I think this has identified their misuse! No wonder people leave them on if there is a blanket “better to be seen”.

Highway code says can use if vis less than 100m which is not very far (football pitch). Driving Instr advice is even then if you can see the car in front’s lights, turn them off. The dazzle factor is significant and also causes fatigue.

Car design doesnt hell by many models positioning adjacent to brake lights. A single seperate light would be better as some cars doz

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Seriously do bikes undertake you? How? You must be a long way off the kerb for that to be possible? Perhaps they are sending a message!

Haha! It doesn't generally happen outside London, but certainly does in London. And yes I may well cycle away from the kerb if I'm not blocking any other traffic and the road surface is better, away from the kerb, or if it means avoiding swinging in and out between parked cars.

But thinking about it, I'd say being undertaken tends to be in two situations:
  • The most common is if I've stopped, either at a red light or at a pedestrian crossing. I also might stop to let a pedestrian cross the road or car get in from a side road - even when I strictly have priority - if I can see they are struggling because of, no big enough gaps in the traffic. When I do that, if possible, I normally stop well away from the kerb - mainly because, as you hinted at, it's safer once you start moving again. It also has the advantage that, if I've stopped to let an elderly/infirm pedestrian cross the road, it makes sure they can cross because I'm physically blocking any cars coming up behind me from proceeding. But in London, many other cyclists are not so considerate, and cut straight through on my left - either when the lights are still on red, or (most annoyingly) when they're just turning green and I'm just about to start moving again, or when the person is still crossing.
  • The other time I've noticed it is if I'm on a cycle/pedestrian path that is clearly marked for pedestrians on the left and cyclists on the right. As far as reasonably practical, I will normally stay on the left of the cycle path - and in effect treat the cycle path as having the same rules as a road, only changing position if some obstacle (such as a pedestrian on the cycle bit ;) ) forces me to. It's not that uncommon in that situation for cyclists who could overtake me in the normal way on the right to just swing into the pedestrian path to undertake instead.

LowLevel

Established Member
Be prepared for anything to happen in snow and ice no matter how careful you are. I've driven very many miles in it to work at all hours largely without incident but the three occasions I have had issues all involved losing control at very slow speed despite sticking to all the usual wisdoms.

The first time at 2 mph just before coming to a stand at a junction the wheels lost all traction on black ice, steering failed entirely when I tried to put it gently in to the kerb and I had actually opened the door to bail out when I managed to get things to bite and stop it.

The second time at less than 10 mph I was coming off a roundabout in a built up urban area at about 0530 again with no visible issues but still being careful as they hadn't gritted due to shortages. The next thing I knew the front of the car kept going around with the momentum of the turn, did a slow and graceful 360 degree turn narrowly missing the central reservation and then everything bit and it just kept going forward.

The third time I was driving on hard compacted snow around a corner on my estate and the car just started going sideways halfway through it. I managed to get that one into the kerb.

Of all the things I've done behind the wheel feeling the controls stop having an effect at very slow speed is by far the most disconcerting. If I hadn't been paying attention or had been pushing it hard all 3 incidents would have turned out much worse (I could have had the momentum to carry me into a 60 mph rural A road, could have rolled over or hit the central reservation or could have hit a parked car).

corfield

Haha! It doesn't generally happen outside London, but certainly does in London. And yes I may well cycle away from the kerb if I'm not blocking any other traffic and the road surface is better, away from the kerb, or if it means avoiding swinging in and out between parked cars.

But thinking about it, I'd say being undertaken tends to be in two situations:
  • The most common is if I've stopped, either at a red light or at a pedestrian crossing. I also might stop to let a pedestrian cross the road or car get in from a side road - even when I strictly have priority - if I can see they are struggling because of, no big enough gaps in the traffic. When I do that, if possible, I normally stop well away from the kerb - mainly because, as you hinted at, it's safer once you start moving again. It also has the advantage that, if I've stopped to let an elderly/infirm pedestrian cross the road, it makes sure they can cross because I'm physically blocking any cars coming up behind me from proceeding. But in London, many other cyclists are not so considerate, and cut straight through on my left - either when the lights are still on red, or (most annoyingly) when they're just turning green and I'm just about to start moving again, or when the person is still crossing.
  • The other time I've noticed it is if I'm on a cycle/pedestrian path that is clearly marked for pedestrians on the left and cyclists on the right. As far as reasonably practical, I will normally stay on the left of the cycle path - and in effect treat the cycle path as having the same rules as a road, only changing position if some obstacle (such as a pedestrian on the cycle bit ;) ) forces me to. It's not that uncommon in that situation for cyclists who could overtake me in the normal way on the right to just swing into the pedestrian path to undertake instead.

In all honesty I struggle to see the issue with people doing that - if you are stationary for your own (non standard) reasons then I expect they view you as odd and best got past?

I may push myself out into the car flow when moving, but I’d never stop in front of them other than as part of a nose to tail arrangement where there is one in front. Deliberately blocking cars is not legal or guidance in any way and seems dangerous to all? Doing it for your own crossing ideas seems bound to cause frustration with your assumption of an authority you don’t have? That leads to very unpredictable outcomes for all surely.

As for using the “pedestrian” half - if it is free, why not? I’d do that without thinking since after all it is a paved surface and no-one else needs it, especially if going down the right means potentially you moving outwards and a collision putting me in the road. The root cause there is the cheap and nasty approach to cycle lanes by “sharing” pavements when that shouldn’t be the case given pedestrians move at 2-4mph and cyclists at 10-25mph.

It does seem you’re issue is with people going past

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
In all honesty I struggle to see the issue with people doing that - if you are stationary for your own (non standard) reasons then I expect they view you as odd and best got past?

Stationary for non-standard reasons? In other words, there's a red traffic light, or there's someone crossing the road? You seriously think those are non-standard reasons?!?! Wow!

corfield

Stationary for non-standard reasons? In other words, there's a red traffic light, or there's someone crossing the road? You seriously think those are non-standard reasons?!?! Wow!
You wrote about letting someone out, and letting them start crossing the road.

Those are non standard as people will be expecting you to follow the rights of way - you are deciding to do somethimg different.

You also stated it was people going through as it turned green. Do you seriously think that they should stop behind you just because they’ve times their arrival at the lights well (or by luck)?

Also you made it clear you would enforce a pedestrian crossing as if the car driver cannot be trusted - when what you actually achieve is to block both parties vision. You have no authority to do that and it is nowhere in any cycling guidance. It is dangerous and results in confusion and probably frustration.

underbank

Established Member
I guess you're referring to the clowns who drive around with nothing but the DRLs(Daytime Running Lights)on with no lights at all at the rear.

DLR's are a classic example of unforeseen consequences. As are those that come on automatically in the dark. Just makes people lazy and stops them thinking. Which leads to cars being driven about without adequate lights in poor visibility such as fog, dawn/dusk etc.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
And if you have the radio turned up, how can you hear other vehicles around you, particularly motor bikes and emergency services?

Loud(er) music for me is restricted solely to the motorway when driving at normal speed, or the speed governed by roadworks. I quieten it down if in slow-moving traffic. At least emergency vehicles have other lanes in which to pass on motorways, although I pull to the left 99.9% of the time I'm not overtaking or passing an on-ramp (which is only for a few seconds at a time anyway). Don't want a £900-1000 fine for a simple error thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.