• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

class 313

Established Member
Thanks for the info but i didint over shoot the platform, (0.0). and i was early :), i thort my driving was good. meh back to training. :P

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

I think a good trick is to find a speed that you are comfortable with when entering stations. I've found that on most LU routes entering the station at 25mph and flicking between notch 1 & 2 ends with a good stopping position.

Of course, you can always do what I do, overrun the stations and reverse :o :p :toothy10:

Guinness

Established Member
James 66526 said:
RBTs (Running Brake Tests) are to ensure that the braking systems are fine and also to see how they are reacting. It also gives you some idea of how slippy the railhead is. Say for example I am coming out of Maybank in a 220. I accelerate to 35mph and tehn throttle down gently so that I don't exceed 40. Then, I ut the brakes into 20% braking (notch 1 on BVE4) as it is the braking I use all the time. I then watch as the speed drops to 35mph. If all is well then I accelerate away to linespeed (which is 80mph by this point.) If in a 158 I use notch 1 on the brake most of the time so I use notch 1 in the RBT. It's the same with freight. It's also a good idea to perform an RBT on the approach to a severe falling gradient or a bay platform just in case! And regarding red signals.. When you encounter a restrictive aspect (double yellow or single yellow) you should be braking depending on your traction and route knowledge. But always make sure that you do not overuse notch 2 if in a 158, 323, 170, 156. In a 66 it's best to use 4 bar braking at the most and on the voyager notch 3 (60%) is best. Never use full service for anything unless you really have messed up! When going over the AWS magnet in passenger go over at between 15mph and 20mph. On freight you should go over at 10mph. Usually on passenger I go over at 15, then when I get a bit closer to the signal I drop down to 10mph. Then down to 5mph and then to about 2mph nearer the signal and roll up to it. Don't brake too hard in between the AWS magnet and the red as you won't need to! If you are approaching an approach control signal (as at Radley jctn if you are stopping at that station) you should always treat it as a red. Also a bit with the rules. The sounding of horns is noat permitted in between 23:00 and 0700 so in both night routes horns aren't allowed. Although if track workers are on the line then you should blow it whatever the circumstances. 8)
Interesting... Have to try that myself! :)

Dennis

Established Member
Simudrive was an old DOS text based driving simulator (originally ported from the Amiga)...good fun at the time but really ancient history now. I seem to remember it was distributed by Siam Software. I have not been able to find any working links but no doubt someone around here would have it.

Dennis

Established Member
LondonBVE said:
Do you have it now?

Bad news, think I binned the CD with it on a couple of weeks ago when I was tidying up. Got a few floppies still to check through.:hiding:

Status
Not open for further replies.