• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Driving with contact lenses only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stench

Does anyone here solely use lenses when driving a train?
Ie glasses arnt used in your medical due being ineffective so contacts are used instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
You are not allowed to solely use contact lenses. You must have a pair of glasses with you at all times as a backup. If for some reason you can only meet the vision standards with contact lenses, then I think you would fail the medical.

BloominMan

You are not allowed to solely use contact lenses. You must have a pair of glasses with you at all times as a backup. If for some reason you can only meet the vision standards with contact lenses, then I think you would fail the medical.

Exactly this. You MUST carry a set of glasses which you can meet the vision requirements with.

Gtremployee

I am a QTD and I wear contact lenses every day. I carry a spare pair of glasses with me as is the requirement (but also spare contact lenses too). For a medical they test you in both and then without.

Melancholia

I only wear contact lenses, with a pair of glasses as backup with me. Last year I had a driver's medical, and they only tested my eyesight with and without contact lenses.

DoubleO

I also wear contacts and have only had to have an eye test with and without correction in a medical, rather than specifically being asked to wear glasses. I carry spare contacts and glasses with me at all times.

dk1

Veteran Member
When I first transfered into the driving grade in 1998 contact lenses where not permitted. That changed around 2001 I'd say & I've worn them ever since. I do have spare pairs and although officially I should, I haven't always got my spectacles with me too.

dk1

Veteran Member
On my original driving medical I couldn't read the bottom line without them in. It was compulsory to do this for some odd reason. The lovely lady conducting the medical said she needed to pop out for a moment and told me to feel free to wander round the room whilst she was gone then winked. Bless her, will never forget her kindness.

Every single medical since I've done the test with the darn things in.

Skoodle

I solely wear contact lenses, but with spare glasses with me. I've been driving for 10 years and was using daily disposables. I would say that I would probably have had an issue where I had to take them out and use glasses instead whilst on duty about once or twice a year. I had a chat with my optician about dry eyes etc, especially with in cab a/c, and they suggested Acuvue Oasys two-weekly disposable. I can wear them constantly, even whilst sleeping, for a week. I've never had an issue with dry eyes at work since I started using them a couple years ago. You can now get them with "transitions" but I doubt they're allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.