• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Drop in passenger numbers sees train services cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

js1000

Drop in passenger numbers sees train services cut
Ministers are preparing to cut back train services as passenger numbers slump and operators risk going bust.

Numbers of passengers are understood to have fallen by 30%-50% on some lines as fears over the spread of the virus hit busy services. Train bosses are believed to have held crisis meetings with transport officials after the drop in passenger numbers over the past two weeks left a number of operators in dire financial straits

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/drop-in-passenger-numbers-sees-train-services-cut-9slffvkdm
I commute to work in Manchester and last week was disturbingly quiet on the train so the possibility of some services being temporarily reduced over the coming months is not a surprise. It seems as if some are already working from home and I am expecting where we work that we will be doing the same in the coming weeks due mitigate the spread of the Coronavirus.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theironroad

Established Member
The last week or so especially there has been a noticeable quietness on many trains and even Waterloo seems eerily quiet at times.

MDB1images

We are in unchartered waters.
A personal opinion is that long distance services could be thinned out eventually as passenger figures drop as leisure and even business travel becomes less necessary.
It also gives some strength to the train plan if some traincrew end up self isolating(thus cover is available to provide a reliable service).

Robertj21a

On Moderation
We are in unchartered waters.
A personal opinion is that long distance services could be thinned out eventually as passenger figures drop as leisure and even business travel becomes less necessary.
It also gives some strength to the train plan if some traincrew end up self isolating(thus cover is available to provide a reliable service).

It might be quite a sensible thing anyway to reduce travel by encouraging far more to work from home and/or use video conferencing or Skype facilities to a much greater extent. This could actually be the 'break through' needed to curtail the need for further expansion.

westv

Established Member
The Jubilee and Met lines were the same for me last week as previous weeks.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Sunday service across most of the network in the next few months I bet. With maybe exceptions so trains start and finish service at their normal weekday times.

SlimJim1694

That's a nice thought. Reduced service = mess rooms full of spare train crew passing the virus onto each other! They aren't going to pay us to stay home unless we are sick so they'll be paying staff to sit around. Might as well just run the trains.

Triumph

Eurostar has already canceled 4 services each day starting from tomorrow for the next 2 weeks, with a further review in 2 weeks' time. I think one of the big problems will be if any signaling staff have to have time off in large numbers, as that could end up with sections of line closures.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That's a nice thought. Reduced service = mess rooms full of spare train crew passing the virus onto each other! They aren't going to pay us to stay home unless we are sick so they'll be paying staff to sit around. Might as well just run the trains.

I think you would eliminate overtime and possibly need to cut working hours and by implication Pay - no different to the rest of the economy.

The idea that people can continue to be paid a full salary when the demand for services (not just transport) is falling across the economy is fanciful.

Common sense about mess rooms would be needed.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I've not seen an impact on ScotRail services yet. However from this week I believe that passenger figures will drop across the ScotRail network as fewer people will travel.

matt_world2004

Established Member
They would pay train crew to be on callout that would be the most sensible solution. Most people with coronovirus are going to report sick before their duty starts at which point you get the reserve drivers in. A lower frequency service in the long term is better than a unreliable service and if reliability tanks passenger numbers drop further.

Or use the reduced service to train staff in things they will need to know, such as rolling stock changes .

Meerkat

Established Member
Are the TOCs dropping units yet? Ie 12s running as 8s etc etc?

The Planner

Veteran Member
TOCs started looking at timetables for this eventuality a couple of weeks ago.
Depends on how they are leased, if they are mileage based then expect to see it, otherwise it makes little difference to them.

Meerkat

Established Member
Depends on how they are leased, if they are mileage based then expect to see it, otherwise it makes little difference to them.
Reduced access charges, reduced cleaning, reduced maintenance - the latter could be important if sickness absence starts to bite.
Conversely they could be told that lots of space is healthy, don’t reduce capacity and squeeze passengers together.....

The Planner

Veteran Member
Reduced access charges, reduced cleaning, reduced maintenance - the latter could be important if sickness absence starts to bite.
Conversely they could be told that lots of space is healthy, don’t reduce capacity and squeeze passengers together.....
You assume you can stable them too, there is a fair bit of outstabling overnight as depots don't have enough room.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I’ve noticed a slight drop on long distance routes - I got the 16:10 Manchester Airport to Newcastle as far as Leeds last Saturday and it was dead from Manchester Airport (I’m pretty sure I was the only one in coach A. There were also entire tables available upon leaving Oxford Road, on a Class 185!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Slight drop on my train last week, not huge, kinda akin to a school half term week.
The drop in road traffic has been far more noticeable though.

The services I use are far from empty so don't think we need to cancel services yet, but possibly if the reduction rate increases it may be worthwhile to shortform trains and catch up on maintenance. Northern is still regularly cancelling services due to "too many trains requiring maintenance"

InOban

Established Member
I believe that the French government has told SNCF to halve their services.

Dave W

The Jubilee and Met lines were the same for me last week as previous weeks.

The Piccadilly and Victoria lines were markedly quieter than my usual experience. Maybe the timings have changed and people are trying to avoid the peaks?

td97

Established Member
It could provide a useful opportunity for TOCs like Northern to thin out their passenger service and make some progress with their huge training backlog using the spare train crew/stock.

westv

Established Member
The Piccadilly and Victoria lines were markedly quieter than my usual experience. Maybe the timings have changed and people are trying to avoid the peaks?
I was travelling in the peak. Maybe the Victoria and Picc lines are more tourist orientated?

furnessvale

Established Member
That sounds like a good idea NOT. Instead of letting passengers spread out to avoid passing the virus on, let's keep them in the cramped conditions they have become used to!

theironroad

Established Member
That sounds like a good idea NOT. Instead of letting passengers spread out to avoid passing the virus on, let's keep them in the cramped conditions they have become used to!

Exactly. Give people more space, to sit at least a metre apart .

Also, cleaning budgets should be increasing temporarily to allow a far more frequent and thorough cleaning of trains in service.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The idea that people can continue to be paid a full salary when the demand for services (not just transport) is falling across the economy is fanciful.

Unless I miss my mark they may not have a choice. As far as I'm aware if you're contracted to work, say, 35 hours per week then your employer pretty much has to either give you 35 hours of work or pay you for 35 hours of work. I am, of course, speaking in broad terms. If someone's contract makes provision for being laid off for a period of time or being given reduced hours for a period of time then those provisions could be used. Equally if you're on zero hours then clearly the employer doesn't have to give you work then either!

Sticking to the transport sector though I it was interesting that BA didn't tell it's staff "you will be taking unpaid leave" it asked them to take unpaid leave. I suspect that that's because BA don't have the choice as I rather suspect their staff contracts don't have provisions for them to force them to be laid off.

Obviously many contracts have variation clauses in them that allow an employer to change the contracted hours of work but that can take a bit of time to work through and in unionised industries like the railway or airlines isn't exactly a risk free option. Of course in an extreme you can obviously make staff redundant but that does then make it hard to ramp back up again on the other side of a temporary slow down as well as the industrial relations issues...

ScotGG

Established Member
I started a post on this about 2-3 weeks ago. It was locked I believe (or moved to somewhere obscure) as some people didn't grasp the situation. Yet it was clear a month ago at least this event was to have a massive impact on travel.

As for current contracts, emergency legislation could be passed to annul or amend contracts. Who knows - all bets are off.

France today looks set to announce intercity limits to coach and train travel.

theironroad

Established Member
Unless I miss my mark they may not have a choice. As far as I'm aware if you're contracted to work, say, 35 hours per week then your employer pretty much has to either give you 35 hours of work or pay you for 35 hours of work. I am, of course, speaking in broad terms. If someone's contract makes provision for being laid off for a period of time or being given reduced hours for a period of time then those provisions could be used. Equally if you're on zero hours then clearly the employer doesn't have to give you work then either!

Sticking to the transport sector though I it was interesting that BA didn't tell it's staff "you will be taking unpaid leave" it asked them to take unpaid leave. I suspect that that's because BA don't have the choice as I rather suspect their staff contracts don't have provisions for them to force them to be laid off.

Obviously many contracts have variation clauses in them that allow an employer to change the contracted hours of work but that can take a bit of time to work through and in unionised industries like the railway or airlines isn't exactly a risk free option. Of course in an extreme you can obviously make staff redundant but that does then make it hard to ramp back up again on the other side of a temporary slow down as well as the industrial relations issues...

BA initially asked staff to voluntarily take unpaid leave, which at other times might be welcome. I'd take a few months if I could go travelling, but as that's not a realistic option with C19 then not much point.

BA's widely leaked internal letter from a few days ago says that they will have to make compulsory lay offs.

That may be averted if the airlines pleas to government today for £bns in financial aid are met.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
BA initially asked staff to voluntarily take unpaid leave, which at other times might be welcome. I'd take a few months if I could go travelling, but as that's not a realistic option with C19 then not much point.

BA's widely leaked internal letter from a few days ago says that they will have to make compulsory lay offs.

That may be averted if the airlines pleas to government today for £bns in financial aid are met.

Yes BA do seem to be in somewhat dire circumstances so I would not be surprised that if there's no bailout their next step is to seek compulsory redundancies (or perhaps voluntary redundancies and early retirements first).

Meerkat

Established Member
First stage will be negotiated pay cuts won’t it?

I can’t see it - the list of pleas for bailouts is going to be huge, they will be reluctant to set any industry specific precedents. First thing would be economy wide tax holidays, then maybe specific regulation changes to ease pressures (not sure what they could be for airlines though)

Status
Not open for further replies.