• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DRS trainee drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spesh

DRS now looking for trainee drivers, Grangemouth, Carlisle, Crewe. Check website for full details.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geargrinder

Insecure, no railway pension, great job if you're a 1st generation diesel anarok, otherwise avoid.

Certainly no more insecure than any other industry. I don't know the pension situation with DRS, but I would have thought on a £40k+ salary DRS will either have a decent scheme of their own, or a driver could afford to pay into a private scheme as many people, me included, currently have. Traction wise I'm not an anorak but I wouldn't have thought a 37 or 20 can be any worse to spend a day in than a Pacer or 153.
I can see why current qualified drivers, happy in their role, might not be interested but I bet they get inundated with trainee applications !

TOCDriver

Certainly no more insecure than any other industry. I don't know the pension situation with DRS, but I would have thought on a £40k+ salary DRS will either have a decent scheme of their own, or a driver could afford to pay into a private scheme as many people, me included, currently have. Traction wise I'm not an anorak but I wouldn't have thought a 37 or 20 can't be any worse to spend a day in than a Pacer or 153.
I can see why current qualified drivers, happy in their role, might not be interested but I bet they get inundated with trainee applications !

You have obviously never sat in the cab of a 37!

SkinnyDave

Established Member
They are part of the BNFL final salary pension with 5% contributions the company then top up.
No travel facilities

Dave1987

On Moderation
All the older drivers have told us young guys to steer clear of DRS. No railway pension scheme, no TOC privileges (eg priv rate card), awful working shift patterns and job security a lot lot worse than working for a TOC.

Geargrinder

But as a trainee its a route to that train drivers license that opens the door to the security, pensions, decent working hours elsewhere in the future.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
But as a trainee its a route to that train drivers license that opens the door to the security, pensions, decent working hours elsewhere in the future.

As a trainee, go for it! My post was in answer to a question about why they weren't able to recruit existing drivers.

Dave1987

On Moderation

Yes but you may find they have some clause that if you leave before a predetermined amount of time you have to repay your training costs.

Geargrinder

I would be surprised if they didn't have such a clause. Personally that wouldn't be a problem. After 3 to 5 years experience at DRS - depending on the clause - I would hopefully be a good candidate when applying to other TOC's or FOC's.
I'm surprised most TOCs taking on trainees don't demand some level of commitment to repay training costs

Dave1987

On Moderation
I would be surprised if they didn't have such a clause. Personally that wouldn't be a problem. After 3 to 5 years experience at DRS - depending on the clause - I would hopefully be a good candidate when applying to other TOC's or FOC's.
I'm surprised most TOCs taking on trainees don't demand some level of commitment to repay training costs

That's fair enough, if the working patterns aren't an issue for you either then go for it. Personally I love the job security a TOC offers along with the travel facilities and more sociable working hours.

I wish you the very best of luck if you are applying!

Geargrinder

Thanks mate. Not sure yet if I will apply as relocation would be required for me. Are the working hours that terrible ?

JAMBO

Heavy haul are making the trainees do it now,believe they have to sign up for 5 years now. EWS used to make you sign up for 3. This all came about as a result of several trainees getting the training,passing out and jumping to another operator,must admit 5 years to be tied to a company is a very long time if you ain't happy.

JAMBO

Could say that about most freight operators tho,we have a lot of earlies in our link,it's freight at the end of the day so anything goes.

Will.C

Ive just read the job brief and it says other locations may be considered. Does anyone know if DRS have drivers based towards london way? I live in Hemel Hempstead.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Ive just read the job brief and it says other locations may be considered. Does anyone know if DRS have drivers based towards london way? I live in Hemel Hempstead.

Will prob depend on what vacancies they have and how many internals pass the assessments.

JAMBO

Didn't they advertise for drivers based at daventry which is down towards london,may have been another operator but im sure someone did?

robby p

They have depots in London at Willsden which from research I believe is a lot of nuclear work and they also have a depot at Stowmarket, DRS have started containers from Felixstowe so I assume Stowmarket get a share as well as their RHTT during autumn around the anglia network.

shedman

DRS core traction for any depot is class 37 with 2 day conversion for each other class of traction. Lodging at Carlisle while training. I'm not convinced by this thing people have about freight being insecure, especially with DRS, they are looking very good for new work. A very good company to work for according to the drivers I've spoken to but like every other rail company expect some degree of rubbish!

My advice is for anyone wanting to get into driving then give it a go. Just be aware their interviews are extremely difficult!!

Legzr1

I'm not convinced by this thing people have about freight being insecure

Would you like a list of approx. 45 qualified drivers made redundant between 2009 and 2011?
That was ONE freight company in one area.

Things are starting to pick up again and more drivers are required at various companies (a fair argument could be made that certain FOC companies just dumped staff in panic to save money without any compunction, empathy or forward thinking whatsoever) but the fact remains, once work drops off TOC's are FAR more secure.

They are prepared to carry staff whereas freight companies are far more likely to reduce hours, reduce wages or use the 'compulsory redundancy' threat to totally ignore national agreements, cut overtime payments and renege on bonus payments (or a combination of everything!).

It's rare that 1800 tonnes of coal complains of rough riding but pulling 300 tonne of people is more secure.

Would you like a list of approx. 45 qualified drivers made redundant between 2009 and 2011?
That was ONE freight company in one area.

Things are starting to pick up again and more drivers are required at various companies (a fair argument could be made that certain FOC companies just dumped staff in panic to save money without any compunction, empathy or forward thinking whatsoever) but the fact remains, once work drops off TOC's are FAR more secure.

They are prepared to carry staff whereas freight companies are far more likely to reduce hours, reduce wages or use the 'compulsory redundancy' threat to totally ignore national agreements, cut overtime payments and renege on bonus payments (or a combination of everything!).

It's rare that 1800 tonnes of coal complains of rough riding but pulling 300 tonne of people is more secure.

We have a lot of ex db shenker guys now working with scotrail because falkland yard at Ayr had no need for traincrew due to lack of coal needs. All other operators have been booming though with intermodal work add drs guaranteed nuclear flasks then they are pretty solid.

Will.C

They have depots in London at Willsden which from research I believe is a lot of nuclear work and they also have a depot at Stowmarket, DRS have started containers from Felixstowe so I assume Stowmarket get a share as well as their RHTT during autumn around the anglia network.

I did think that they might have a depot at Willsden as there are regular flask trains to/from there. Id be happy to relocate to Crewe and Carlisle but think Grangemouth would be a little too far for me.
I also quite like the idea of driving the Flask trains, quite an interesting load to have behind you I think. Not many people can say they drive around in the dead of night with tons of nuclear waste!
Ive sent off for my application form anyway, see what happens.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Seriously wish I was old enough to apply - yes it may have sh*te working hours and lack of other benefits, but surely that's better experience as a you driver going forward? Also, as has been said, it's a driving licesne at the end of the day. In 3/5 years time, a qualified driver is a qualified driver....

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.