• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DSLR Mounted Mic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katketty

Hi there! I've been photographing trains recently with my Nikon D3200 but have been interested in moving into video. The problem I am having is that the onboard mic is terrible and picks up a lot of movement from the camera. I am looking into getting an external microphone to attach to my camera's hot shoe.

I'm currently considering two options - the Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro and the Rode VideoMic Pro.

I am at a loss as to what would be better.

I don't want to capture too much of what is around me other than the train itself. Also, if I were to record at model rail events, the stereo mic would probably capture the noise of the crowds, drowning out that of the models.

On the other hand, I worry that the non-stereo option will be too focused and I will only capture audio for the few seconds the train is passing and nothing at all from its approach. It may also not pick up my voice if I had a comment on the subject.

If anyone could offer some advice it would be very much appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Complicated subject actually, and several issues here.

For really good audio, the last place you want to put any sort of mic is actually on the camera, because it is always going to pick up unwanted sound to some extent. For instance, small 'shotgun' designs like the Røde Videomicpro will 'hear' quite a lot from the back as well as any noises from the camera itself. Unfortunately, there is no audio equivalent of a telephoto lens (nearest would be a parabolic reflector which is nae use here). To get good audio, the mic itself has to be in the right place.
But I agree, sometimes it's the only practical solution when you are working by yourself. :D

Second point is mono or stereo, and that depends partly on your shooting style. If you are filming a train approaching without panning the camera to follow it as it passes, then a stereo mic can do a realistic job of letting you hear it pass, but moving the camera will also move your stereo image which will sound (to some at least) a bit disorientating - as what is seen and what is heard part company. Generally speaking mono is less hassle, and gives you better directionality as you note.

Third point is that neither of these mics are particularly good in windy condition (even with the extra furry bit) but there again the trade solution for that can be expensive. Here's an example of the Videomic Pro in action, good directionality but some wind noise. (You can see someone who takes his mic wind protection seriously on the platform and later on the second coach).

I'll add some other links shortly.

EDIT more info:

For comparison, this Sennheisser is also popular in the trade, but the Rodes do have a big presence in the DSLR audio scene.

Do some searches on http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/ The wedding/event video pros are well into DSLRs these days.

Another solution altogether would be to use a separate audio recorder, like one of the Zooms or Tascams. This is the preferred solution for many people but it is more complicated and probably more expensive. Some like the Zoom H6 give you a line out for the camera and a choice of plug in mics, which would take care of the stereo/mono issue. Pretty ungainly stuck on top of you camera though, but I believe it has a wee brother appearing soon which might be better.

Last edited:

Katketty

Thank you very much for the detailed post! It certainly cleared a few things up for me and is certainly appreciated :)

I am not looking for the best of the best, but something that is relatively affordable and convenient to use solo whilst being a reasonable improvement from the onboard DSLR mic.

I'm thinking I will certainly be going mono as it does sound like it will suit my needs that little bit more and be less fuss.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Nae bother.
You can get cheaper mics on Amazon and eBay, but you tend to get what you pay for. Since you have already noticed how bad the built-in mics on cameras are, you might be happier with a reasonable quality one like the Røde. They have brilliant after sales support BTW, not something you usually find from eBay.
(10 year warranty comes after registering the mic.)

Katketty

Aye, the reviews of the Rode along with the price point and 10 year warranty do certainly appeal. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.