• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

due to a short notice change to the timetable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I understand it, with some tocs some staff where having issues with passengers when the "shortage of train crew" or "shortage of drivers" was announced and thus the unions requested that these reasons stop being used especially when a train was cancelled for shortage of crew/driver whilst a driver/crew were on platform etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Frontera2

As someone involved with information provision at a large TOC, I can say with certainty that the majority of our customers want to know a reason for any delay / cancellation / alteration to their service. I agree that they don't want to know the war and peace technical explanation, but they definitely want to be given a reason.

Viper

There are some interesting comments in here stating that passengers don't care why their train is delayed, they just want to know when the next one is.

That actually isn't the logic used to plan the station announcements and the recent changes have been to provide more information to keep passengers better informed. If they are told their train is delayed but not why, passengers are much more likely to be annoyed and agitated, which can then be transferred to the station staff who aren't at fault and doing their best to help them.

Passengers are much more understanding when they are better informed. If they know that there were animals on the line, they can understand that the network isn't at fault and it isn't an easy/quick thing to fix. If they're just told it's delayed, they don't have the situational understanding and will more than likely presume that it's just the generic British Railway that has failed them.

I am very surprised at the constant use of "Short notice change to the timetable" as it really doesn't fit with keeping passengers informed. As someone said earlier this translates to me as "It's cancelled because it's cancelled", and doesn't provide any situational understanding.

Birkonian

Surely every cancellation for whatever reason is a short notice change to the timetable? So it is a useless statement.

Birkonian

Merseyrail have just posted a statement that puts perspective on this thread. 'Due to person being struck by a train, services on the Wirral lines are disrupted.' An explanation that is very explicit and very sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.