• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dull question - yellow trackside boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp01

What are the yellow boxes called, as in this photo:

DSC_0906a.jpg

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Trackside connection box used with Siemens Axle Counters, it's where the interface is made between the track mounted fittings, and the cables heading off to the signalling system. There's some electronics in there as well.

I believe the cables between sensors and the box are a standard length, which is why the boxes appear to be scattered all over the place in a complex area of track. Picture here: http://www.roscalen.com/signals/Abercynon/090630/AxleCounter.jpg

Last edited:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I was going to ask you what camera you used for this but the EXIF data embedded with the image file tells me (nearly) all. :) Scary the amount of information that cameras collect these days, isn't it?

What it doesn't tell me though, is whether that splendid star filter effect from the signals happens naturally with that F4 lens, or whether you used a filter to achieve it, if you don't mind me asking?

Railsigns

Established Member
I'd say those are Thales axle counters, not Siemens. The yellow boxes are called "EAK units" (or "mushrooms" unofficially).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That wouldn't surprise me - it's just that I saw them initially all over the Bournemouth area, and then around Portsmouth, which I took to be 'Siemens' installations.

mp01

I was going to ask you what camera you used for this but the EXIF data embedded with the image file tells me (nearly) all. :) Scary the amount of information that cameras collect these days, isn't it?

What it doesn't tell me though, is whether that splendid star filter effect from the signals happens naturally with that F4 lens, or whether you used a filter to achieve it, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi. Thanks for your interest. This happened naturally, presumably because it's not an expensive lens. Some more variations on the theme in this set, in case you're interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeplonk/sets/72157627925686556/

Cheers

Nym

Established Member
Mario would be so happy in an area running with Axle Counters.

(And you can cut down the length of cables from the boxes, but it's usually not done, as they tend to be pre-cut off site)

Status
Not open for further replies.