• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dumfries conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reeko

Hi all, I have passed the assessment for the conductor job at Dumfries and I was just looking for some advice about what to expect at the interview!! Also had anyone any idea how many jobs are going for this post or is it just 1 position! Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They are looking for a few posts at Dumfries, as there is extra trains running and extra work for the depot. As announced today there's more shuttles to Carlisle and an extra train each way to Glasgow. They are recruiting for Conductors internally for Glasgow Central also.
It's not a depot where jobs pop up regularly so this is a rare opportunity. Essentially you are waiting for a Conductor to become a driver or retire.
Decent shifts, the bread and butter work is runs to Glasgow and Carlisle with the odd random East Kilbride to spice up your days. You will have your PNBs (breaks) at Carlisle, Dumfries, Kilmarnock and Glasgow.
Sole traction at the depots is Class 156s. Some very early turns and late turns doing the First and last trains of the day from Glasgow and Carlisle.
Gaffers will leave you to it, they are old school. As long as your coming in and doing your job properly and not causing trouble you will have a safe secure job.

Will be your generic interview questions about safety, following procedures, customer service, an emergency situation, team work, dealing with a complaint etc.

Good luck.

uww11x

They are looking for a few posts at Dumfries, as there is extra trains running and extra work for the depot. As announced today there's more shuttles to Carlisle and an extra train each way to Glasgow. They are recruiting for Conductors internally for Glasgow Central also.
It's not a depot where jobs pop up regularly so this is a rare opportunity. Essentially you are waiting for a Conductor to become a driver or retire.
Decent shifts, the bread and butter work is runs to Glasgow and Carlisle with the odd random East Kilbride to spice up your days. You will have your PNBs (breaks) at Carlisle, Dumfries, Kilmarnock and Glasgow.
Sole traction at the depots is Class 156s. Some very early turns and late turns doing the First and last trains of the day from Glasgow and Carlisle.
Gaffers will leave you to it, they are old school. As long as your coming in and doing your job properly and not causing trouble you will have a safe secure job.

Will be your generic interview questions about safety, following procedures, customer service, an emergency situation, team work, dealing with a complaint etc.

Good luck.

I had no reply to my application :(

Reeko

Good luck.

Reeko

Thanks that’s great, just want to find out as much as I can before the interview. Do u know much about the medical? I read there’s a hearing test, my hearing isn’t the best so was wondering if it’s a full blown hearing test? Cheers

Donhamer

Yep, definitely a tough day. how did you 'enjoy' doing the mock tannoy announcement? I felt really pressured during that.

Reeko

Once I got going it wasn’t too bad, I was really dreading it though. I didn’t want to get that far and fall at the final hurdle! I didn’t think I done particularly well so I was glad when they said I had passed it

Donhamer

Same here.

I really felt for the people that got sent home early especially the 2 guys that already worked for Scotrail. Hoe bad must they have felt?

Reeko

Aye it must have been a bit embarrassing for them pair, to be honest I’m surprised there wasn’t more that got sent away at lunch time, I found the mornings tests pretty tough. Only 4 failing out of the 16 was pretty decent going I think

Donhamer

I wonder how many interviews they'll be doing in total. Must have been loads of people applying too.

Reeko

Yeah must be afew. I know of a guy who works internally at Lockerbie station who applied and he was up afew weeks ago for the assessment and passed, so I don’t know how many groups of people have been up altogether. It must be afew

Donhamer

Sounds like there will be loads of interviews. Will be tough going to get through, just have to give it everything.

Thanks that’s great, just want to find out as much as I can before the interview. Do u know much about the medical? I read there’s a hearing test, my hearing isn’t the best so was wondering if it’s a full blown hearing test? Cheers

If you pass the interview it’s a medical with OH Assist their occupational health provider. It’s a colourblind, vision, BMI, Urine, General health disclosure and hearing test. The hearing test is you in a booth and you have a set of headphones on and you press the button when you hear the beep in either ear. Plenty of Traincrew and drivers wear hearing aids so don’t worry.

Reeko

If you pass the interview it’s a medical with OH Assist their occupational health provider. It’s a colourblind, vision, BMI, Urine, General health disclosure and hearing test. The hearing test is you in a booth and you have a set of headphones on and you press the button when you hear the beep in either ear. Plenty of Traincrew and drivers wear hearing aids so don’t worry.
Cheers for the info mate

Status
Not open for further replies.