• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dutch Flyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT_USER

Has anyone booked Rail Sail tickets from Liverpool Street to Amsterdam Centraal before?

I booked on the phone and the chap in the Stena Line call centre said I'd have to collect the tickets at Liverpool Street before departure. Given some of the horror stories I've read on here about not being able to collect tickets and staff not knowing about these tickets and the fact we need to get the 06:38 from Liverpool Street I'm a bit worried! Is there a special pick up point for these tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The last time I booked the Dutch Flyer I did not receive a train ticket for my connecting train but just presented the ferry print off to the guard, stated that I was travelling on the Dutch Flyer, was thanked, and he moved on to the next passenger.

My journey was on the direct Cambridge to Harwich service connecting into the night boat.

Things may be different at Liverpool Street though?

SWT_USER

The last time I booked the Dutch Flyer I did not receive a train ticket for my connecting train but just presented the ferry print off to the guard, stated that I was travelling on the Dutch Flyer, was thanked, and he moved on to the next passenger.

My journey was on the direct Cambridge to Harwich service connecting into the night boat.

Things may be different at Liverpool Street though?

Thanks, I've had my confirmation email through now after chasing them up this morning. You have to go to the ticket office at Liverpool Street on the day of departure (and only that day) to collect the train tickets which is going to mean a very early start!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
When I did it last year, I just had an e-ticket which I printed at work.

Ah, I see why you have to collect the ticket, you should have booked it by internet rather than phone

SWT_USER

When I did it last year, I just had an e-ticket which I printed at work.

Ah, I see why you have to collect the ticket, you should have booked it by internet rather than phone

I tried to but their website wasn't working properly yesterday. I do have an e-ticket but apparently I still have to get a 'proper' rail ticket at Liverpool Street, according to this anyway:

At Liverpool Street station you must go to the main station concourse and visit windows 1-4 , please show them your E-Ticket and Reservation advice (Email confirmation ) which you will receive upon making payment and confirming your booking online.

They will then give you a rail pass for the train journey London Liverpool Street to Harwich. Upon arrival at Harwich International port please again show your email confirmation and they will print off your boarding pass for the ferry and also a train voucher for the Dutch rail leg.

Established Member
I recently booked a Rail and Sail ticket for the overnight ferry online. I printed off the e-mail as it stated, only to get a letter in the post from Stena Line a few days later. In it was a copy of my e-ticket that they'd printed themselves, as well as separate rail tickets - not proper National Rail or NS ones, but their own type of rail ticket!

SWT_USER

I recently booked a Rail and Sail ticket for the overnight ferry online. I printed off the e-mail as it stated, only to get a letter in the post from Stena Line a few days later. In it was a copy of my e-ticket that they'd printed themselves, as well as separate rail tickets - not proper National Rail or NS ones, but their own type of rail ticket!

Can you use any train between Rotterdam and Amsterdam?

SWT_USER

the ticket in Holland is basically a Rover... it doesnt have any definite destination but its only valid on that day.

Is it valid on all services though, for example could I use it on the Thalys service between Rotterdam and Amsterdam?

Are you sure? Can I to Amsterdam and then later in the day, to Maastricht, for example?

I don't see why not - I believe the ticket is to any Dutch station.

radamfi

Established Member
Nothing is ever valid on Thalys unless you have a ticket and reservation for that train. A more pertinent question is whether you need to pay the supplement for the Fyra train between Breda, Rotterdam, Schiphol and Amsterdam, or for the ICE train between Amsterdam, Utrecht and Arnhem.

SWT_USER

Nothing is ever valid on Thalys unless you have a ticket and reservation for that train. A more pertinent question is whether you need to pay the supplement for the Fyra train between Breda, Rotterdam, Schiphol and Amsterdam, or for the ICE train between Amsterdam, Utrecht and Arnhem.

Thanks, I suspected that was the case.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

... and this is exactly what I received in the post today! Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

Hopefully the GA staff on the gateline will be clued up enough to recognise the tickets.

cuccir

Established Member
Are you sure? Can I to Amsterdam and then later in the day, to Maastricht, for example?

I'm pretty sure I recall when I booked this that the Ts&Cs said that Break of Journey is not allowed on the Dutch side, but I can't recall where it said this.

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure I recall when I booked this that the Ts&Cs said that Break of Journey is not allowed on the Dutch side, but I can't recall where it said this.

This was discussed earlier in the year. The consensus is that BoJ is OK
http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=83723&highlight=Dutch+Flye
However, I think I'd always want to have a plausible destination in mind if going well off-route, and am not sure that Maastricht via Amsterdam is quite plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.