• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dutch OV Chipkaart - Can you get one sent to the UK in advance of travel in the Netherlands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slammerTel

I'm aware that you can obtain a pre loaded Oystercard when travelling around London for tourists who come to the UK but does anyone know if you are able to obtain the Dutch OV chipkaart pre loaded and have it sent to the UK before you travel ??

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I believe you can use this retailer, as suggested by the official OV Chipkaart website to purchase one before arrival for shipping to the UK:

I have no idea on whether that's a good deal compared to getting one on arrival (which is what I did when I travelled to the Netherlands).

slammerTel

I believe you can use this retailer, as suggested by the official OV Chipkaart website to purchase one before arrival for shipping to the UK:

I have no idea on whether that's a good deal compared to getting one on arrival (which is what I did when I travelled to the Netherlands).
I was thinking of it possibly being a timesaver when arriving at Hoek van Holland metro station and I'm greeted by a load of passengers trying to fathom out how to work the ticket machine :p

biko

I would just buy one from the ticket machine in Hoek van Holland. It costs €7.50 then. I don't think that many people will use it if you're coming from the ferry. Most Dutch people don't have a need to use the machine, so if you're relatively quick during disembarking, you should be the first at the machine.

That website doesn't say anywhere if they will ship to the UK, but for domestic postage they ask €3 and you also need to pay a surcharge if you want to have some money loaded on it. So I think buying in the Netherlands is better unless it is essential to save a few minutes.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That website doesn't say anywhere if they will ship to the UK, but for domestic postage they ask €3 and you also need to pay a surcharge if you want to have some money loaded on it. So I think buying in the Netherlands is better unless it is essential to save a few minutes.

I got as far as putting in a UK address and it happily recalculated the shipping and was a bit more expensive to boot. Though I agree with you that you might as well just get it on arrival!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I too have noticed that the first metro out of Hoek is fairly soon after the official arriving time. Instead of buying an OC Chipkaart, preload the RET Barcode app on an Android phone or an iPhone and buy a single ticket in advance of arriving at Hoek. Use it to get to Schiedam or Rotterdam where there are plenty of ticket machines.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I too have noticed that the first metro out of Hoek is fairly soon after the official arriving time. Instead of buying an OC Chipkaart, preload the RET Barcode app on an Android phone or an iPhone and buy a single ticket in advance of arriving at Hoek. Use it to get to Schiedam or Rotterdam where there are plenty of ticket machis.

Comments on the download site say it doesn't accept non-Dutch credit/debit cards.

JRT

Comments on the download site say it doesn't accept non-Dutch credit/debit cards.
Originally the OV Chipkaart machine didn't accept non-Dutch credit/debit cards or banknotes (rather inconvenient).

Meanwhile, OV chipkaart issuer Translink announced the introduction of a new public transport payment system. The new system replacing OV chipkaart — OVpay — will allow travellers to use their debit cards and smartphones for public transport. The system is to be introduced next year.

Further details (in Dutch)

Last edited:

dutchflyer

Established Member
Note that-other as the Oyster/leap etc, there are 2 types of OV-chip: anonymous or personal=with your foto+name (and formerly birthdate also) on it.
The latter of course needs to be individually produced and is a necessity for any type of discount or season. These will only be sent out to BE and DE beside of course domestic here.
I somehow even recall that Stena would sell anon. ones in their purserssoffice-on board. But I also think sales would be minimal and due to the 5 yr. timecap on them had to be replaced too often to make that worthwhile.
There have been -many moons ago- issues about non acceptance of non-Dutch cards-but since IBAN and common European payment it is enforced to accept at least all those cards. Untill 31/12 last UK also participated in that and I assume your bank/creditcards will still do.
Note that fairly often the single use flat fare tickets work out cheaper as riding on chip for longer distance-certainly on the RET-metro. You could metro it all the way-roundabout a bit-to den Haag for 4 eur.
NS gives out free personal chipcards for those subscribing to any type of season, but thus is a giant hurdle to take from abroad due to necessary credit checks. I have even 2 of them.

lawrence_hardy

Note that-other as the Oyster/leap etc, there are 2 types of OV-chip: anonymous or personal=with your foto+name (and formerly birthdate also) on it.
The latter of course needs to be individually produced and is a necessity for any type of discount or season. These will only be sent out to BE and DE beside of course domestic here.
I somehow even recall that Stena would sell anon. ones in their purserssoffice-on board. But I also think sales would be minimal and due to the 5 yr. timecap on them had to be replaced too often to make that worthwhile.
There have been -many moons ago- issues about non acceptance of non-Dutch cards-but since IBAN and common European payment it is enforced to accept at least all those cards. Untill 31/12 last UK also participated in that and I assume your bank/creditcards will still do.
Note that fairly often the single use flat fare tickets work out cheaper as riding on chip for longer distance-certainly on the RET-metro. You could metro it all the way-roundabout a bit-to den Haag for 4 eur.
NS gives out free personal chipcards for those subscribing to any type of season, but thus is a giant hurdle to take from abroad due to necessary credit checks. I have even 2 of them.
Interesting chain of messages about the OV Chip card. I used to be a regular visitor to the Netherlands and although I live in the UK I managed to get a personal OV Chip card sent to an address I frequently used to visit in Belgium. That personal OV Chip card expires next month however and they have emailed to invite me to apply for a refund of the amount remaining on the card. When I tried though it would not accept my bank account details. It looks as if it only allows NL prefixed IBAN references. It rejected BE and ES prefixed IBANs which were for a Belgian and a Spanish bank I use. As an aside, GB prefixed IBAN should be accepted as the Single European Payments Area (SEPA) covers more than the EU and the UK remains a member. I'll have to look for another way for getting the refund.

biko

Interesting chain of messages about the OV Chip card. I used to be a regular visitor to the Netherlands and although I live in the UK I managed to get a personal OV Chip card sent to an address I frequently used to visit in Belgium. That personal OV Chip card expires next month however and they have emailed to invite me to apply for a refund of the amount remaining on the card. When I tried though it would not accept my bank account details. It looks as if it only allows NL prefixed IBAN references. It rejected BE and ES prefixed IBANs which were for a Belgian and a Spanish bank I use. As an aside, GB prefixed IBAN should be accepted as the Single European Payments Area (SEPA) covers more than the EU and the UK remains a member. I'll have to look for another way for getting the refund.
Is the credit more than €50? In that case, you could fill out a paper form which allows for any format of IBAN. I'm not sure if that same form can be used for smaller amounts. If you'd like a new card, there is also a paper form for renewing a personal OV-chipkaart which also has no format requirements for IBAN, although it costs €3 more than doing it online.

lawrence_hardy

No, it's just 33 euros. Thanks for the information. I'll look for the paper form and use that to reclaim if they allow smaller amounts. I didn't get much benefit from the personal OV card so I'll just buy an anonymous one from the machine next time I arrive at the Hook Holland.

biko

lawrence_hardy

Thanks Biko, that's great. I opened the link and my phone automatically translated it into English. I studied Dutch at evening classes for a year in the 1980s but most of its forgotten now. I could never really use it much as whenever I went to the Netherlands nearly everyone replied in very good English!

lloydyyj

I wasn’t able to get a personal card online without a dutch address - so I got my Dutch friend to do it for me

Status
Not open for further replies.