• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Duty Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flange Squeal

Established Member
A couple of examples here from Thames Bus, a small operator in Surrey that lasted for a bit over a year in the early 2000s, set up by Martijn Gilbert (better known in the years since with Yorkshire Tiger, Reading Buses and Go North East). Quite a few other interesting documents have been uploaded to this Facebook group recently.

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 202a.jpg
    202a.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 195

LUYMun

I think this may be a silly question, but am I be able to know information about all duty cards (which I doubt this because of 'security reasons')?

I am relying on bustimes.org's unofficial fleet list in order to know which buses travel on which route, as my local Stagecoach operator's buses often interworks two or three routes daily, and I'm asking if there's a more accurate way of finding out this sort of information.

carlberry

Established Member
I think this may be a silly question, but am I be able to know information about all duty cards (which I doubt this because of 'security reasons')?

I am relying on bustimes.org's unofficial fleet list in order to know which buses travel on which route, as my local Stagecoach operator's buses often interworks two or three routes daily, and I'm asking if there's a more accurate way of finding out this sort of information.
Bustimes is your best source of this kind of information. Companies are not going to release duty card information in any other way because of the limited need for anybody to know. Just look up the routes that a vehicle has covered on a previous day and you'll have a idea of the duty card. Be aware that the duties could change every week at present with the ramping up of services but will eventually stabilise.

mwest123

If you look at what buses travel on what journeys, you can work out the running boards, however duty cards are the driver shifts, so that wouldn't be easy to get. You could ask the driver if you can take a photo of one or even ask at the depot but the most you'll find from the public domain is the running board information.

David Verity

As far as i’m aware, London is the only place that have running numbers. The running number isn’t the duty or running board number. It’s just a number that identifies a bus to a particular duty. For example, you are doing duty 526 which has running number 444. You’d then look for the bus that has 444 on the side. However, if there’s a fault with the bus at some point on the journey, the running number can be swapped over to a replacement vehicle and the next driver who takes over the bus has the correct bus for their duty.
Blackpool trams on timetabled journeys carried a timecard in the windscreen with its number clearly visible from outside, Apart from ensuring that relieving crews took over the correct car it also enabled the regulators out on the track to identify which cars were maintaining the timetable and which were on "specials" and could be switched around as required to cope with busy traffic flows and keep the queue sizes down.

richw

Veteran Member
If you look at what buses travel on what journeys, you can work out the running boards, however duty cards are the driver shifts, so that wouldn't be easy to get. You could ask the driver if you can take a photo of one or even ask at the depot but the most you'll find from the public domain is the running board information.
Most drivers will say no to a photo as they often contain information not for public domain

Pat1105

Most drivers will say no to a photo as they often contain information not for public domain
The only info carried on a duty card that is considered ‘classified’ is phone numbers and the driver’s meal break times (on cards that are driver based).

richw

Veteran Member
The only info carried on a duty card that is considered ‘classified’ is phone numbers and the driver’s meal break times (on cards that are driver based).
Our driver based ones carry more than that

Status
Not open for further replies.