• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dyslexia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy74

Hi. I am applying for a post as a conductor with GWR @ Exeter. I am Dyslexic and my mental arithmetic is poor when under exam pressure, day to day its ok (ish). I am going to ask for reasonable adjustments for the selection/interview process (I have evidence of diagnosis). But it got me wondering, do any conductors use a calculator or is it frowned upon by the employer. Or can it be a reasonable adjustment? If you think about it, tills in shops do all the maths for you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12guard4

Ticket machines have the same function you enter the cash given it will tell you the change required.

sw1ller

Established Member
If it’s just arithmetic that you have difficulty with, I can’t see it being too much of an issue, as stated above, ticket machines do all the work for you. It’s if you get numbers completely mixed up as the job isn’t just about dealing with money. You could be giving times out or platform numbers and if you get these mixed up often, it could cause some problems. It’s also an issue with signal numbers too, some places have the “off” indicator next to others half way down the platform (Crewe, p6) and if you get them mixed up it’s could in fact be dangerous. Good luck though pal.

Billy74

Thanks for the replies, yes its just the maths that I struggle with, interpreting numbers and sequences I am fine with.

Billy74

Its does beg the question though, if the machines do the maths for you, why the reliance on a mental arithmetic test? I used to work for ASDA and I was on the tills and on the shop floor, no arithmetic test needed, but maths was used on a daily basis.

axlecounter

I guess maths involves a kind of logical thinking useful in the railway. Hence the maths tests. Maybe. And maybe also because a math test could rule out candidates without basic skills, which doesn’t seems your case, of course.

Clip

Established Member
Its does beg the question though, if the machines do the maths for you, why the reliance on a mental arithmetic test? I used to work for ASDA and I was on the tills and on the shop floor, no arithmetic test needed, but maths was used on a daily basis.

The money doesnt count itself though does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.