• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

e-Tickets, Break of Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

themeone

I've just booked an e-ticket on the SWR app, a day return Redbridge - Eastleigh. I was surprised to see in the conditions that break of journey is not permitted, as I'm sure it is on a paper ticket. If I'm right, can anyone explain where there's a difference?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I've just booked an e-ticket on the SWR app, a day return Redbridge - Eastleigh. I was surprised to see in the conditions that break of journey is not permitted, as I'm sure it is on a paper ticket. If I'm right, can anyone explain where there's a difference?
There isn't a difference and that purported restriction is not a part of the contract because it isn't communicated to you before you have paid and got your ticket. I would be surprised if any member of staff noticed the alleged (non-existent) restriction; I would be highly alarmed if SWR then tortiously demanded any additional amount, given that it is a basic facet of an Anytime ticket that you may break your journey, and given there is no obvious fare to excess the ticket to (as there would be if you broke your journey on an Advance).

Feel free to break your journey - even if anyone does (incorrectly) take umbrage to it, it is a civil matter at worst, and not a criminal matter, as there is no Byelaw against breaking your journey without authorisation.

northken

This has been going on with the GWR app for some time too. The staff I've asked about it have always concluded that it's just an error on the app. If you're really concerned, just message SWR Twitter. They'll almost certainly confirm it to be an error and that break of journey is permitted.

Mathew S

Established Member
The TPE app says the same thing. It's nonsense. The terms and conditions of a ticket are the same no matter the format. Feel free to break your journey however you would like as long as it would be valid with a 'nornal' ticket.

Felix A

I've broken an e-ticket journey with GWR (NQY - PNZ) and the staff at Truro had no problem with me doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.