• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

E-tickets unavailable on different TOC website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
I have had a few issues recently on Southern’s website, with credit cards saved to my account not working (yet I seem to be able to use PayPal with no problem)

To avoid the extra time faffing about with PayPal, I thought I’d use my account with South Eastern for a couple of purchases. I find, however, that the tickets I want are only offered as ‘Collect at station’ (TOD) and the e-ticket option is not available (which it is, on Southern’s site).
Anyone know why the e-ticket option is not there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have had a few issues recently on Southern’s website, with credit cards saved to my account not working (yet I seem to be able to use PayPal with no problem)

To avoid the extra time faffing about with PayPal, I thought I’d use my account with South Eastern for a couple of purchases. I find, however, that the tickets I want are only offered as ‘Collect at station’ (TOD) and the e-ticket option is not available (which it is, on Southern’s site).
Are you certain that eTickets are available for the journey in question?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Without knowing the journey in question, we are unable to assist further. Can you provide details of where the journey is from and to, at least? If you can provide the full itinerary (we don't need to know the date) that would be useful.

Does Trainsplit offer it?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
It's also possible that the journey is available as an M-ticket (requiring the use of an app), which some sites don't support (rightly, in my opinion) but is not yet enabled as an E-ticket.

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Are you certain that eTickets are available for the journey in question?
I thought it was clear from my post that the journey in question IS offered as an e-ticket on Southern’s site, but is not offered on Southeastern’s site.
The journey is from Brighton to Gatwick Airport. Hopefully the screenshots attached show the payment options:

Attachments

• 164F70B5-96FC-4C64-94C5-84B84334FC1C.png
    164F70B5-96FC-4C64-94C5-84B84334FC1C.png
    219.3 KB · Views: 29
  • AEEBD609-5B6F-41ED-B621-839CD8ABBA0F.png
    AEEBD609-5B6F-41ED-B621-839CD8ABBA0F.png
    282.6 KB · Views: 29

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Yes - Brighton to Gatwick is available as e-tickets and we will happily sell them. Strange that Southeastern won't - it's much cheaper to sell an e-ticket than TOD (unless it's collected from your own machines).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From a very quick play[1], it doesn't appear SE's website offers any e-tickets at all, which isn't that incongruous when you consider that they don't accept them (i.e. there are none for any flows including them).

[1] I tried both Bletchley-MKC and Euston-Manchester, two flows for which e-tickets are definitely offered.

py_megapixel

Established Member
From a very quick play[1], it doesn't appear SE's website offers any e-tickets at all, which isn't that incongruous when you consider that they don't accept them (i.e. there are none for any flows including them)
Really? Given how heavily DfT is pushing for it, I'm surprised that e-ticket acceptance wasn't a condition of the most recent Direct Award; the same one that had them sign a lease for the 707s.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Really? Given how heavily DfT is pushing for it, I'm surprised that e-ticket acceptance wasn't a condition of the most recent Direct Award; the same one that had them sign a lease for the 707s.

They have lots of barriered stations and no barcode readers on the barriers - it would make sense but be extremely costly.

paul1609

Established Member
With a fairly self contained patch I can see why they didn't. There is a limited amout of journeys avaialble without a Cross London journey.
Believe that by far the biggest non smart card/ contactless product sold by Southeastern is one day travel cards so unless there is going to be universal tfl acceptance e tickets don't make sense.

island

Veteran Member

Southeastern don’t sell or accept e-tickets.

paul1609

Established Member
Southeastern don’t sell or accept e-tickets.
The accepting bit is not wholly true there are some tickets that start at A southern Station then go on a Southeastern Train and then on to another TOC.
Cross country tickets from the Kent stations on Marshlink for instance. They are accepted on Southeastern trains with no problems in my experience.
Ive frequently used Appledore (Kent) to Portsmouth Stations rte polegate/Edenbridge e tickets with no problem including a break of journey at Tonbridge to buy coffee.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Where? Because at least two other members have come on this thread and said they don't.
And another has said that they have used them on SE trains.

SE don't sell them. They don't enable them for flows they price. But if their trains are valid to use them then they accept them.

Status
Not open for further replies.