• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Early Morning Metrolink

Status
Not open for further replies.

iknowyeah

Since the early morning Airport services have been withdrawn, there seems to have been silence about when, or if, these will return? Has there been any announcement I've missed, or even rumours seeing as the network seems to be getting back to its usual running

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

javelin

The 'early morning' service was to facilitate overnight flights. Airport traffic is still very low, and is likely to remain less than pre-pandemic for a long time, so where's the demand? Metrolink is also still only around 60% pre-pandemic passengers over the whole network, so it is running at a significant loss. Running a lightly-used airport service is probably not financially viable right now, it wasn't exactly a money spinner pre-pandemic.

Last edited:

Mothball

It was more about staff access, mostly from Wythenshawe where a good many live. Did the airport perhaps part-fund it?

I'm not sure if the airport put any funding towards the early morning services but I seem to remember they put quite a bit of funding into the construction of the line itself, the early services could well have been a condition of that. Although I'd imagine if that was the case and there was a need for the early service to return then the airport would have some input

507 001

Established Member
We're hearing that they won't be returning, but nothing official.

Chester1

Established Member
We're hearing that they won't be returning, but nothing official.

Permanently? That would amount to a stealth cut "because of covid" once air travel returns to previous levels. I am aware that might be some time away but its very likely to happen eventually.

507 001

Established Member
Permanently? That would amount to a stealth cut "because of covid" once air travel returns to previous levels. I am aware that might be some time away but its very likely to happen eventually.

Yes. That’s the rumour. The thing is, they were never particularly well used. There was one busy service for a short time but I believe that eventually tailed off. They’re also a nightmare to staff, taking up pretty much every member of an entire grade that had to be expanded to cope.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes. That’s the rumour. The thing is, they were never particularly well used. There was one busy service for a short time but I believe that eventually tailed off. They’re also a nightmare to staff, taking up pretty much every member of an entire grade that had to be expanded to cope.

If usage was low but not tiny, it'd be a good case for the new regulated system to put on a bus (or indeed the current system to tender one). It's mostly just about Wythenshawe-Airport, isn't it?

scrapy

Established Member
If usage was low but not tiny, it'd be a good case for the new regulated system to put on a bus (or indeed the current system to tender one). It's mostly just about Wythenshawe-Airport, isn't it?
The 43 runs at least half hourly 24/7 and serves a good chunk of Wythenshawe (east of the m56), running directly past Manchester Airport, Robinswood Rd, Wythenshawe Town Centre, Crossacres and Benchill Metrolink stops (also passes West Didsbury and Piccadilly Gardens stops as well).

507 001

Established Member

I never drove one as I’m not driving in the unfortunate grade that did them, so I can’t say for certain what it was like other than the description of ‘dead’ from a couple of the guys that did do them. I’d say you’re probably spot on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.