• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easing of Coronavirus restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

ld0595

What are our predictions for the 'long term strategy to live with covid' tomorrow?

Provided the masks go soon, I'll be happy!

Masks, vaccine passports, check in for hospitality and silly barriers at supermarket checkouts. One can hope...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Razorblades

On my latest foray into the Borders last week, there was no enforced requirement to do anything in the Inn where I stayed, the petrol station bothy/ supermarket, or the tea-rooms and cafes frequented. The exception was the enclosed parts of Caerlaverock National Nature Reserve, where everyone was covering up. Naturally, I stuck to the outdoors, as that's what nature reserves are all about, isn't it!

liam456

Time to tune in Nicola, Queen of Scots, to hear her plans for the future of Covid in Scotland.

UPDATE: Supposedly, vaccine passports are to be axed next week, on the 28th February.

Nicola Sturgeon has announced the covid vaccine passport scheme in Scotland will end on Monday.

In a statement to Holyrood, the First Minister said: “I can confirm, firstly, that the COVID certification scheme requiring certain venues and events to check the vaccine or test status of attendees will come to an end next Monday 28 February.

“The app which supports the scheme will remain operational, however, so any business that wishes to continue COVID certification on a voluntary basis to reassure customers will be able to do so.”
UPDATE 2: The big one; one more month left of masks. M-day is 21st March for Scotland. Also on that day, the need to collect tracing data from customers in businesses ends. (Not that I've ever seen much of it in a long time!)

Last edited:

Red Onion

I must admit to being a tad surprised she went ahead with dropping the restrictions but I don’t think she has any justification for keeping them given that the other home nations (and several European nations) are in the process of removing restrictions.

3 weeks and 6 days till a return to normality…

D1024

I'm travelling south on LNER on 23rd March - it will be interesting to hear what crap messaging they are (still) giving out then...

scotrail158713

Established Member
This news today has made me feel the most positive I've felt in a while. Not that I've felt bad recently but confirmation that it's finally on its way out is brilliant.

ld0595

Was presently surprised at todays announcement. I wasn't expecting her to go as far as this. Slightly frustrating that we still have to wait a few weeks to ditch masks but better late than never.

big_rig

I trust Trish Greenhalg, Cristina Pagel, the rest of the zero covid lot have blasted Sturgeon for exposing Scotland to the same dangerous and unethical experiment as England, throwing the vulnerable into the fire and so on? Maybe their internet connections have gone down today :p

eoff

Was presently surprised at todays announcement. I wasn't expecting her to go as far as this. Slightly frustrating that we still have to wait a few weeks to ditch masks but better late than never.

Don't bet on it, in the annoucement document...

"On 21 March (indicative date, to be confirmed at preceding review), we plan to remove the legal requirement for face-coverings in indoor public places and on public transport. Again, some settings and service providers may wish to maintain face-covering policies to help to protect their customers and staff."

danm14

Face coverings will remain legally mandatory in Scotland for a "further short period" and will not become optional until "early April". The other changes planned for Monday 21st March will proceed.

Scotrail12

Who is really listening? NS is not there to tell me what is and isn't "optional" to wear on my face. There are other pressing issues.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Who is really listening? NS is not there to tell me what is and isn't "optional" to wear on my face. There are other pressing issues.
Exactly. I know of quite a lot of people to have had it recently and none of them have been badly ill. People are deciding for themselves - one example personally was a Citylink bus I was on on Sunday where considerably less than half of passengers were wearing one. (This was a reasonably well loaded service as well)

bengley

Established Member
Wonderful, I was rather looking forward to the play I was going to see in Edinburgh being restriction free, but now looks like I'll have to reel out the 'exempt' excuse again.

initiation

It's clear though that the retention of face covering laws in Scotland has had a dramatic effect compared to reckless England....oh wait...the data doesn't quite suggest that.

Attachments

• 20220315_173303.png
    20220315_173303.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 67

Butts

Veteran Member
I think I'll just pretend I didn't see this "update" and still throw my mask in the bin on Monday morning as I intended to do.

I've stopped wearing one ages ago and am not alone - when it says early April the 1st would be appropriate :E

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BBC article released today:
Most of the remaining legal Covid restrictions in Scotland have now officially come to an end.
Businesses are no longer required to retain customers' contact details.
However, the legal requirement to wear face coverings in shops, hospitality venues and public transport remains in place.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said the rule will stay for "a further short period" because of the surge in cases.
The latest Office for National Statistics figures also showed one in 14 people in Scotland had Covid last week, a new record high and the highest rate in the UK.
Questionable that the BBC decided to quote Christine Tait-Burkard; typical of the BBC to quote someone who admits that the impact of mask-wearing "is small, or is smaller than it ever was before" (but that is still a huge exaggeration) and yet still supports the measure.

The BBC's reporting has generally been getting much better in recent weeks but they still can't help themselves by falling into their bad old pro-restriction ways at times.

Anyway, a good update from John Campbell:
13:05 we know that ba2 is now the
13:07 predominant variant in scotland as well
13:12 we do know that now
13:13 but we also know that scotland had been
13:15 taking more stringent precautions than
13:17 england for example
13:19 and we see that scotland which has been
13:21 taking more stringent precautions to try
13:23 and prevent the spread of omicron
13:25 has a higher prevalence
13:28 and this is consistent with the idea
13:31 that omicron and especially omicron ba2
13:35 is very hard to stop and indeed is
13:37 probably unstoppable
13:40 so we see at least from this data here
13:42 no benefit at all
13:44 in the increased restrictive measures of
13:46 mask wearing that have taken place in
13:49 scotland
Again it's worth listening to the full video, and he is absolutely spot on.

Of course Sturgeon would never listen to such common sense.

While Sturgeon is not going to admit that face coverings make no difference, I think even she is going to be forced to admit the game is up on masks, as fewer and fewer people are complying with the ridiculous mandate.

Back in July 2021 and again in January 2022 I think it benefitted her pro-independence agenda to paint a "England are reckless" picture and try to use face masks as a political weapon, but this position is increasingly untenable, with case rates nosediving in England since the 27th January, only increasing relatively modestly recently due to the BA.2 variant of Omicron, and in that time Scotland case rates have been increasing constantly and is now at record levels.

Furthermore, with the entire British Isles no longer requiring masks, including Ireland which had previously had the strictest Covid rules, and with hardly anyone in Ireland wearing them (I know; I was there recently), masks no longer suit her political agenda. I expect masks to cease to be mandated in Scotland next month, having served their political purpose, and now with mask wearing being exposed for the sham that many of us knew it was all along.

ld0595

When does she announce if masks will go? I believe Wales went ahead leaving just Scotland now.
In theory it should be Tuesday I think. Although with as many cases as we have, it wouldn't surprise me if she doubled down and kept them even longer.

island

Veteran Member
It’s just three weeks to flatten the curve.

It’s just four more weeks.

It’s just a little while longer to protect the NHS.

It’s just a request to meet people outside.

It’s just two weeks at home when you come back from abroad.

It’s just to protect us all.

It’s just a mask.

It’s just a little delay.

It’s just a few more places to wear your mask.

It’s just changing the rules on two days’ notice.

It’s just a small limit on how many people can meet.

It’s just a few precautions as we go into winter.

It’s just 4 weeks to save Christmas.

It’s just a little while longer.

It’s just sacrificing Christmas to save Easter.

It’s just a little gesture during the coldest months.

It’s just safety to avoid importing Covid from abroad.

It’s just 12 days locked in a hotel room.

It’s just a few more weeks.

It’s just a chance to get more people vaccinated.

It’s just a precaution while cases rise.

It’s just temporary while we get boosters in arms.

It’s just a little delay while case rates are still high.

greyman42

Established Member
It’s just three weeks to flatten the curve.

It’s just four more weeks.

It’s just a little while longer to protect the NHS.

It’s just a request to meet people outside.

It’s just two weeks at home when you come back from abroad.

It’s just to protect us all.

It’s just a mask.

It’s just a little delay.

It’s just a few more places to wear your mask.

It’s just changing the rules on two days’ notice.

It’s just a small limit on how many people can meet.

It’s just a few precautions as we go into winter.

It’s just 4 weeks to save Christmas.

It’s just a little while longer.

It’s just sacrificing Christmas to save Easter.

It’s just a little gesture during the coldest months.

It’s just safety to avoid importing Covid from abroad.

It’s just 12 days locked in a hotel room.

It’s just a few more weeks.

It’s just a chance to get more people vaccinated.

It’s just a precaution while cases rise.

It’s just temporary while we get boosters in arms.

It’s just a little delay while case rates are still high.
It's just taking the mickey.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
DELETED

Not sure how I missed this one, but I see that Scotland is retaining the requirement to wear masks in schools even after the Easter holidays (which takes us into late April/early May).

They’re saying this will come as statutory guidance (which schools have no choice but to follow), but I fear this could also be a sign of what is to come in tomorrow’s announcement:

A Scottish government spokesperson said: "Following the Easter break, face coverings will continue to be required in communal areas for staff and secondary school pupils.
"This national guidance will apply in every school in Scotland."
Pupils have not had to wear masks while sitting in classrooms since 28 February.
Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland on Wednesday, Health Secretary Humza Yousaf confirmed that next week cabinet would consider changing the legal requirement to wear a face covering to guidance.
"As you would expect, schools would apply the national guidance, we would expect them to do so," he said.
"I still expect a large swathe of the population will follow the public guidance," he added, noting that there would still be certain settings - as well as schools - where the guidance would be to wear a face covering.
The Scottish Conservatives said the change had taken "far longer than was necessary", with young people's education "unnecessarily disrupted for far too long".
However the EIS teaching union said it would have rather seen masks kept in place until the end of March.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon insisted the change had been made "at the right time and in line with expert advice".
On 21 March it was expected that the legal requirement to wear face coverings in shops, hospitality venues and public transport would also be downgraded to guidance on the same date.
However, the first minister said it would remain as a regulation for "a further short period" because of the surge in cases.

(https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60843171.amp)

So disappointing.

Last edited:

initiation

Sturgeon was in London yesterday for the service in Westminster Abbey.

Guess who wasn't wearing a mask, but still maintains mask laws and guidance in Scotland?

(Link shows picture of Sturgeon bare faced).

The funniest thing is all the cyber-nats commenting that of course she wasn't wearing one, Westminster Abbey isn't in Scotland. We all know that once you cross Hadrian's Wall covid becomes much more serious.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Sturgeon was in London yesterday for the service in Westminster Abbey.

Guess who wasn't wearing a mask, but still maintains mask laws and guidance in Scotland?

(Link shows picture of Sturgeon bare faced).

The funniest thing is all the cyber-nats commenting that of course she wasn't wearing one, Westminster Abbey isn't in Scotland. We all know that once you cross Hadrian's Wall covid becomes much more serious.
This is absolute hypocrisy of course, especially when the report in the times today is:

Nicola Sturgeon poised to extend mask requirement​

Nicola Sturgeon is likely to extend the legal requirement for people to wear facemasks for at least another fortnight amid a surge in coronavirus cases.

Her cabinet met yesterday to discuss measures, with one in eleven people in Scotland now estimated to have the virus.

It is expected that the law requiring face coverings in shops, pubs, public transport and other busy venues will be extended for at least another two weeks.

Masks are not required in England or Wales, where Covid rates are lower than in Scotland. Ministers believe the spread of the Omicron BA.2 variant is more advanced north of the border and this has fueled the spike

(https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nicola-sturgeon-poised-to-extend-mask-requirement-xr6fsnr6l)

Disappointed? Yes
Hypocritical? Without a doubt!
Surprised? Not at all

Last edited:

bengley

Established Member
I'm off to Edinburgh today and I won't be wearing a mask, just like I don't in England :)

D6130

Established Member
When I travelled to Glasgow last Saturday, more people were not wearing masks than were wearing them....in all settings, including on the trains. Avanti West Coast now seem to have dropped their announcement on Down trains North of Carlisle warning of the mandatory wearing of masks on all public transport in Scotland.

Scotrail314209

Established Member

kez19

Established Member

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Masks will be converted to guidance in places of worship on Monday 4th April.

Wider mandate on transport and on indoor public spaces will remain until 18th April.

Status
Not open for further replies.