• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easing of Coronavirus restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotrail158713

Established Member
For balance I'm glad to say there are more reasonable staff as well. I was on an Edinburgh to North Berwick service yesterday and there were no announcements mentioning masks whilst the conductor was unmasked and didn't mention wearing one to anyone who wasn't either when checking tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red Onion

For balance I'm glad to say there are more reasonable staff as well. I was on an Edinburgh to North Berwick service yesterday and there were no announcements mentioning masks whilst the conductor was unmasked and didn't mention wearing one to anyone who wasn't either when checking tickets.

I noticed similar on trains out of Glasgow Central back in February. Was all very relaxed.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’ve found 90% of staff perfectly reasonable and find, but there are some who are so insistent it’s a joke

ld0595

Noticed this morning at Central that very staff were wearing masks. The TE on my train was the same.

greyman42

Established Member
I’ve found 90% of staff perfectly reasonable and find, but there are some who are so insistent it’s a joke
It is a pity the TOCs can't get rid of these people, or at least get them away from public facing roles.

Essan

No announcements made re masks on any trains I used last week (to Glasgow, then on to Lochailort and return, plus Stirling to Glasgow) - and no comments made by staff. Most of the time I did not wear a mask, but did have food/drink in front of me. I basically just used a mask in main stations (and even in Glasgow Central a significant number of people were not wearing masks). A few passengers worn masks the whole time, but I'd say the majority only worn them like me, or didn't wear one at all)

Falcon1200

Established Member
Travelling south from Glasgow on Avanti last Friday, no announcements about masks. Returning yesterday on LNER, approaching Berwick 'masks are mandatory in Scotland, this is being enforced by the BT Police and a fine of £200 may be charged for non-compliance, unless you are exempt'.

Welcome to Scotland !

kez19

Established Member
Now confirmed that mandatory face coverings will be lifted on Monday. About time!

but must be kept on public transport or crowded places

The legal requirement to wear masks in most indoor public spaces and on public transport will be dropped from Easter Monday.

The law will be replaced by guidance, with people “strongly recommended” to wear face coverings in crowded indoor spaces and on public transport.

It follows record-breaking highs in cases of Covid-19 and numbers in hospital wards.

However, the First Minister said data shows the situation with coronavirus has improved although more than 5000 cases are still being recorded daily.

Further up:
However, people are urged to continue wearing face coverings in crowded places and on public transport.

not exactly dropping them completely… maybe it’s the wording in the media who knows?

Just to add first paragraph quotes urged to continue then in the next it’s like guidance… so really seems to me mixed messaging or it could be the media themselves doing this on purpose.

Last edited:

devon_metro

Established Member
They can advise all they like. It's no longer a law so so need to wear them. Many have already ditched them anyway.

Berliner

but must be kept on public transport or crowded places

Further up:

not exactly dropping them completely… maybe it’s the wording in the media who knows?

Just to add first paragraph quotes urged to continue then in the next it’s like guidance… so really seems to me mixed messaging or it could be the media themselves doing this on purpose.
How do you read "people will be urged" as "but must be kept" and "not dropping them".

You are urged to recycle, but it isn't legally mandated, for example.

The law is changing and masks are being dropped. It's entirely up to individuals to wear one or not, no one can enforce it after 18th April.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
How do you read "people will be urged" as "but must be kept" and "not dropping them".

The law is changing and masks are being dropped. It's entirely up to individuals to wear one or not, no one can enforce it after 18th April.
Presumably, as in England, some businesses will choose to retain the mandate.

Does this apply to NHS settings?

Berliner

Presumably, as in England, some businesses will choose to retain the mandate.

Does this apply to NHS settings?

That's up to those businesses, but they will have no legal power to enforce it.

As for hospitals..I'd still gladly wear one in there. Place where you are usually expected to find the sick and weak, or those dealing with them in close proximity. Wouldn't bother me one iota if masks remained mandatory in healthcare settings.

kez19

Established Member

I am someone who couldn’t care less if someone wants to keep wearing them or not it’s a choice, however I was pointing out the wording in the article that at one point it’s dropping them to then further up (in the beginning feels like not too), as I state is the media stirring the pot?

Berliner

I am someone who couldn’t care less if someone wants to keep wearing them or not it’s a choice, however I was pointing out the wording in the article that at one point it’s dropping them to then further up (in the beginning feels like not too), as I state is the media stirring the pot?

Of course the media is stirring the pot. That's all the media ever does.

The law is the only wording that actually matters and that's being changed to reflect it being a personal choice.

kez19

Established Member
Of course the media is stirring the pot. That's all the media ever does.

The law is the only wording that actually matters and that's being changed to reflect it being a personal choice.

That’s something I’ll completely agree with you on in terms of media.

For me too it should be personal choice but I’ll always respect other’s decisions if they want to keep a mask on or not.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
That’s something I’ll completely agree with you on in terms of media.

For me too it should be personal choice but I’ll always respect other’s decisions if they want to keep a mask on or not.
I wouldn’t respect it, but it can be tolerated

Butts

Veteran Member
What benefit has this extended mask wearing (for those that have) in Scotland brought us that we would not have had if we'd gone the same time as England ?

kez19

Established Member
I wouldn’t respect it, but it can be tolerated

On the other side of this we really should be looking at how the media are playing us and still continue to do so (just as bad as politicians/governments), surely there has to be a line of questioning now on the media and it’s role in all this and it’s continuation of baiting people?

I’m all for freedom of speech/press/media but I think (and if my opinion was right that the media are getting too much control in all this), ie twisting words to suit them? Although I know this is the Scottish thread but come on we seen how the media were keen with Boris to lockdown again (when he said no), they done it with Sturgeon too ( was either week later or before), the pattern is there - the media are happy causing ruptions with the public but they walk away with damage done to public but they themselves have damage limitations? Surely it’s time people woke up to the media than take everything they say for granted? (I’ll even say this as put politics aside on this only part but surely the public should be raising more questions about the media?)

What benefit has this extended mask wearing (for those that have) in Scotland brought us that we would not have had if we'd gone the same time as England ?

They reinforce the sense of public paranoia. While I wouldn't (yet) go as far as banning them anywhere, I do think that their use should be strongly discouraged.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The same impact that all the other 'England plus a but on top' measures achieved, in Scotland or Wales? Diddly squat except at the margins or perhaps in timing. But The Big Inquiry will undoubtedly cover that too.

The same impact that all the other 'England plus a but on top' measures achieved, in Scotland or Wales? Diddly squat except at the margins or perhaps in timing. But The Big Inquiry will undoubtedly cover that too.

I expect large quantities of whitewash have been sorted! If the enquiry concludes anything other than that the government basically got it right but should have imposed restrictions earlier / harder / for longer then I will be surprised.

joncombe

I expect large quantities of whitewash have been sorted! If the enquiry concludes anything other than that the government basically got it right but should have imposed restrictions earlier / harder / for longer then I will be surprised.
I fear you are right. I hope you are wrong.

For a lot of time there seemed to be arguments that countries with the toughest restrictions have got it right and we should have been tougher. I think that has well and truly unravelled now. The countries with the tightest restrictions are still battling with low vaccination rates, still under heavy restrictions, still locking down. For example New Zealand and Australia and indeed China, the first to still lock down has several major cities under strict lockdown. Likewise restrictions are still in place in countries like Italy (the first to impose draconian restrictions, although I think they are due to end in May) whilst those that took a lighter touch such as most of the Scandinavian countries, much of the US and to a degree the UK (by comparison to much of Southern Europe at least) are now largely free of restrictions.

We are also now seeing much more acutely the issues many of us against lockdown warned - inflation running out of control and debts to high the Government is still putting up taxes. Companies going bust etc. Likewise in the travel industry, about the hardest hit we are now seeing the problems caused by laying off staff en-masse and no struggling to recruit new staff. Again I think more staff were let go than needed due to the continuing restrictions in the travel industey are Furlough ended. (I know there are other issues as well here, such as the situation in Ukraine and Brexit, but I believe lockdown and associated measures are the main issue).

brad465

Established Member
Oh dear oh dear...

Nicola Sturgeon has been reported to police after being filmed apparently breaching Scotland's face mask rules.
Footage on social media shows the first minister without a mask in an East Kilbride barber shop, which she had visited on the election campaign trail.
She posted footage of the visit on her own Instagram account with her mask on.
The SNP said Ms Sturgeon realised she was not wearing a mask "within a few seconds" of entering the shop.
It is legally required for people to wear face coverings in many indoor settings in Scotland until Monday, when the law becomes guidance.
A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "We can confirm that we have received a complaint which is currently being assessed."

During the visit to the barber shop on Friday, Ms Sturgeon shaved a man's beard while journalists took photographs.
The SNP leader later posted footage on her own social media feeds, describing it as "surreal" but one of the best and "scariest" things she had done on the campaign trail.
However, further footage was later posted online showing her interacting with people without her mask on.
A SNP spokesperson said: "The first minister was invited into the barbers during an outdoor visit on the street.
"Within a few seconds, she realised she hadn't put her mask back on and immediately put it on."

james60059

When I went to Edinburgh on Wednesday 13th with Lumo, one of the train ambassadors made a PA that face coverings were still compulsory, but yet on getting off at Waverley, I'd say two-thirds of passengers weren't wearing one, and even a fair few staff wasn't (some was however).

Coming back on Avanti, the train manager made an announcement that masks are compulsory until Carlisle where you can make a "personal choice".

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
When I went to Edinburgh on Wednesday 13th with Lumo, one of the train ambassadors made a PA that face coverings were still compulsory, but yet on getting off at Waverley, I'd say two-thirds of passengers weren't wearing one, and even a fair few staff wasn't (some was however).

Coming back on Avanti, the train manager made an announcement that masks are compulsory until Carlisle where you can make a "personal choice".
Quite frankly, it's a blessing we can get rid of this absolute nonsense from tomorrow.

Those who are genuinely wanting to mitigate against the spread of this virus can wear an effective FFP2 or FFP3 mask ans ensure their personal protection, and the rest of us can get on as normal without worrying about the police or staff moaning at us for not following a stupid, completely unscientific law which has no epidemiological basis (but could have a political one... hmmm...)

Technically they were optional from the Sark Viaduct after Gretna Junction. I've had words with 2 TM's about that

Status
Not open for further replies.