• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Anglia Bus Scene

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Any idea what maybe replacing them? I think BUS91D was the best bus they had out of the four. I rode on BUS91A and it was awful with a very noisy engine and it rattled a lot, not to mention it was an uncomfortable ride. Hopefully they will bring in some better buses.
The new OmnlLink will become BUS 91A and live on the Hadleigh to Ipswich shorts duty.

The ex NCT fleet are presented well with nice seats downstairs but you are right that the departed ones especially were loud and didn't ride very well.

Not sure what longer term plan is for 91 is. There seems to be no fixed allocation right now and buses change daily quite often.

Apparently one of the new First StreetDecks broke down this morning on a Suffolk One route!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kartenga

On Moderation
The new OmnlLink will become BUS 91A and live on the Hadleigh to Ipswich shorts duty.

The ex NCT fleet are presented well with nice seats downstairs but you are right that the departed ones especially were loud and didn't ride very well.

Not sure what longer term plan is for 91 is. There seems to be no fixed allocation right now and buses change daily quite often.

Apparently one of the new First StreetDecks broke down this morning on a Suffolk One route!
It seems Beestons BUS91C is back on the road as it been spotted in Ipswich in recent days.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I assumed that had gone with the other two, since it hasn't appeared at all on the 91 since July according to bustimes.org. That's a long time for a bus to be missing! Did it have some work done?

Apparently Beestons are due another coach from Plaxton before the end of the year.

Kartenga

On Moderation
I assumed that had gone with the other two, since it hasn't appeared at all on the 91 since July according to bustimes.org. That's a long time for a bus to be missing! Did it have some work done?

Apparently Beestons are due another coach from Plaxton before the end of the year.
The new coach is in service. It is a Plaxton Panther 3 using number plate FHJ 565.

Beestons have aquired a further Plaxton Panther 3 coach. This being a 22 plate and observed at Hadleigh Bus Station this afternoon.

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The new coach is in service. It is a Plaxton Panther 3 using number plate FHJ 565.

Beestons have aquired a further Plaxton Panther 3 coach. This being a 22 plate and observed at Hadleigh Bus Station this afternoon.
Saw what looked like a Plaxton Leopard (not tall enough to be a Panther) running around on private hire on the A1071 earlier for Beestons.

Kartenga

On Moderation
Saw what looked like a Plaxton Leopard (not tall enough to be a Panther) running around on private hire on the A1071 earlier for Beestons.
There is also a Beestons Plaxton coach, as it is a ‘22 plated one. So they must have 4 or 5 now if they still have the ‘17 plated one.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Beestons re-advertised the two remaining Scania N230UD deckers ex NCT with them, despite being in almost daily service.

Apparently new vehicles coming in during March/April, any idea what?

Kartenga

On Moderation
Beestons re-advertised the two remaining Scania N230UD deckers ex NCT with them, despite being in almost daily service.

Apparently new vehicles coming in during March/April, any idea what?
I’ve been told there are going to be two brand new Volvo MCV deckers coming in March.

Last edited by a moderator:

AaronR

Wonder what will happen now at Ipswich Buses? Apparently the manager has left for pastures new so not sure who is taking charge now?

buslad1988

Wonder what will happen now at Ipswich Buses? Apparently the manager has left for pastures new so not sure who is taking charge now?
That’s correct. The General Manager has departed and the Managing Director is retiring. The latter position is advertised in industry press etc.

AaronR

I do wonder where they will go from here. It surely can’t be worthwhile the council keeping hold of them now in the current climate?

buslad1988

I do wonder where they will go from here. It surely can’t be worthwhile the council keeping hold of them now in the current climate?
Not wanting to talk politics too much on here but they’ll certainly be no intention to sell at the moment. They’ll be keeping hold of the business at any cost - those in charge at the Borough Council presently would never sell.

If I were First I’d be turning my attention to expanding in Ipswich rather than Colchester (if staffing levels etc permit). With the massive investment in 17 streetdecks it’s freed up some stock to use on potential new town routes. If targeted and marketed correctly could be a huge success for them.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Not wanting to talk politics too much on here but they’ll certainly be no intention to sell at the moment. They’ll be keeping hold of the business at any cost - those in charge at the Borough Council presently would never sell.

If I were First I’d be turning my attention to expanding in Ipswich rather than Colchester (if staffing levels etc permit). With the massive investment in 17 streetdecks it’s freed up some stock to use on potential new town routes. If targeted and marketed correctly could be a huge success for them.
What is happening with the influx of new vehicles in Ipswich anyway?

There's been only 4 of the Eclipse 2 single deckers enter service with four of the ones being destined for Ipswich ending up in service in Norwich, and whilst there was 5 Streetdecks enter service in October, nothing since.

Probably price at end of the day, or they got a very good deal.

Any info on spec would be appreciated, I assume they will get the Bus91.co.uk branding?

Kartenga

On Moderation
What is happening with the influx of new vehicles in Ipswich anyway?

There's been only 4 of the Eclipse 2 single deckers enter service with four of the ones being destined for Ipswich ending up in service in Norwich, and whilst there was 5 Streetdecks enter service in October, nothing since.

Any info on spec would be appreciated, I assume they will get the Bus91.co.uk branding?
I believe Norwich and Coastal have been having new influx of buses recently. Probably waiting for the Wessex ones to be released by them. I did see a Streetdeck being towed so maybe that’s why they are delayed Co one though.

As for Beestons, I would of thought they would keep Bus91 branding like they did when bus division was under the Constable brand a decade ago.

Hopefully any new buses they get are hybrids as that would help to reduce costs.

By looking at the Beestons website it does also state they intend to restart the holidays and excursions part of the business in 2023.

buslad1988

First are busy with the second hand purchases coming through for Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth and ex Bristol Streetdecks for Norwich. I’m sure the Ipswich fleet renewal is still taking place - perhaps if deliveries of the streetdecks are spaced out enough we may see some on 23 plates?

Beestons should just step aside from the 91 now and let Ipswich Buses or First have a go. There maybe some potential in just operating a fast Ipswich - Hadleigh - Sudbury route bypassing the estates on a standard hourly timetable (maybe as an X9 if First).

Kartenga

On Moderation

The stock they are replacing are moving on or going to scrappers due to their age

Kartenga

On Moderation
First are busy with the second hand purchases coming through for Lowestoft/Great Yarmouth and ex Bristol Streetdecks for Norwich. I’m sure the Ipswich fleet renewal is still taking place - perhaps if deliveries of the streetdecks are spaced out enough we may see some on 23 plates?

Beestons should just step aside from the 91 now and let Ipswich Buses or First have a go. There maybe some potential in just operating a fast Ipswich - Hadleigh - Sudbury route bypassing the estates on a standard hourly timetable (maybe as an X9 if First).
Beestons won’t step aside they only created bus91 to increase awareness of the route. It's not first time they split up bus and coach business; back in 2010 they had Constable Coaches as their bus arm, even though name was not displayed on the buses themselves. Beestons is going to be back to normal next year due to them suspending their Holidays and Excursions business since beginning of the Covid Pandemic, a move which is quite clever as they have sold older buses and put money away to gain interest on it while they wait for things to settle down.

buslad1988

Beestons won’t step aside they only created bus91 to increase awareness of the route. It's not first time they split up bus and coach business; back in 2010 they had Constable Coaches as their bus arm, even though name was not displayed on the buses themselves. Beestons is going to be back to normal next year due to them suspending their Holidays and Excursions business since beginning of the Covid Pandemic, a move which is quite clever as they have sold older buses and put money away to gain interest on it while they wait for things to settle down.
The 91 is a route Beestons have had monopoly of since First departed that corridor back in the early 2000’s due to increased competition from them. In the past twenty years since it’s been in gradual decline and it’s always came across like Beestons see their bus operations as a side line to their coach/holiday business and it isn’t a priority. The constant revolving door of vehicle types, liveries/branding etc lacks professionalism (in my opinion).

The 91 should be ripe bus territory due to lack of train connections on the route and the expansion of Hadleigh and Sudbury. Even the Ipswich end of the route is seeing significant numbers of new houses being built. Yes it passes through some affluent areas with a high proportion of concessionary holders but if the route was simplified and end-to-end journey times decreased with a standard hourly timetable it could gain more custom. Using vehicles like Ipswich Reds ex Weymouth eclipse 2’s would be ideal. Leather seats, USB charging etc plus the added bonus of the First app and mobile ticketing altogether build a much better proposition to the current offering.

AaronR

The 91 is a route Beestons have had monopoly of since First departed that corridor back in the early 2000’s due to increased competition from them. In the past twenty years since it’s been in gradual decline and it’s always came across like Beestons see their bus operations as a side line to their coach/holiday business and it isn’t a priority. The constant revolving door of vehicle types, liveries/branding etc lacks professionalism (in my opinion).

The 91 should be ripe bus territory due to lack of train connections on the route and the expansion of Hadleigh and Sudbury. Even the Ipswich end of the route is seeing significant numbers of new houses being built. Yes it passes through some affluent areas with a high proportion of concessionary holders but if the route was simplified and end-to-end journey times decreased with a standard hourly timetable it could gain more custom. Using vehicles like Ipswich Reds ex Weymouth eclipse 2’s would be ideal. Leather seats, USB charging etc plus the added bonus of the First app and mobile ticketing altogether build a much better proposition to the current offering.
I totally agree. Zero competition from trains, plenty of new houses along the route, and a large college on the edge of Ipswich. It should be a goldmine that route. Hardly any competition from other bus routes too. The problem is the lack of promotion by Beestons, and no identity to the route. I think it has real potential with the right promotion etc

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I think the criticism of Beestons is a bit over the top.

Yes, they may not be perfect, but they are a rare example of a long established family run company still in existence in this regioo who continue to do a good job and have an excellent reputation and continue to do a lot of contracted, school and private hire work work in addition to their service routes. Yes they've been hit by COVID and the excursions market but this is not the only work they do and they don't get that work by accident.

Unlike Ipswich Buses and First they've not been at all hit by driver shortages, so no doubt they pay more and they operate their services day in, day out with the minimal of fuss and without any cancellations. They may have about 15-20 vehicles dating back from 2004-2006 etc, in their bus fleet, but the standard of maintenance on those vehicles would put many operators with vehicles half that age to shame.

As for the 91, if Ipswich Buses or First were to run that then they'd have a lot of dead running in the morning from Ipswich and to Ipswich in the evening since they're at the wrong end of the peak flows which is going to add costs. Also the Beestons depot is ideally located for the 91 on a main road with easy access to Ipswich, Sudbury and Hadleigh, which really does help.

I'm not saying it cannot be improved. But Beestons get a lot of the operational side done a hell of a lot better than others even if they are not the most commercially active.

buslad1988

As for the 91, if Ipswich Buses or First were to run that then they'd have a lot of dead running
in the morning from Ipswich and to Ipswich in the evening since they're at the wrong end of the peak flows which is going to add costs. Also the Beestons depot is ideally located for the 91 on a main road with easy access to Ipswich, Sudbury and Hadleigh, which really does help.

I’m sure Beestons do their best but having had first hand experience of the service they’re not as popular amongst locals as some on here might think. Even pre-covid the 91 was gradually being reduced. A bit of competition is never a bad thing - it’s how Beestons gained that corridor in the first place.

I get the point regarding dead running however First currently have multiple dead running from Felixstowe, Stowmarket and Aldeburgh so adding Sudbury to the list wouldn’t be that big a deal. The same with Ipswich Buses to/from Colchester; albeit they operate as token ‘X93’s’.

Kartenga

On Moderation
I think the criticism of Beestons is a bit over the top.

Yes, they may not be perfect, but they are a rare example of a long established family run company still in existence in this regioo who continue to do a good job and have an excellent reputation and continue to do a lot of contracted, school and private hire work work in addition to their service routes. Yes they've been hit by COVID and the excursions market but this is not the only work they do and they don't get that work by accident.

Unlike Ipswich Buses and First they've not been at all hit by driver shortages, so no doubt they pay more and they operate their services day in, day out with the minimal of fuss and without any cancellations. They may have about 15-20 vehicles dating back from 2004-2006 etc, in their bus fleet, but the standard of maintenance on those vehicles would put many operators with vehicles half that age to shame.

As for the 91, if Ipswich Buses or First were to run that then they'd have a lot of dead running in the morning from Ipswich and to Ipswich in the evening since they're at the wrong end of the peak flows which is going to add costs. Also the Beestons depot is ideally located for the 91 on a main road with easy access to Ipswich, Sudbury and Hadleigh, which really does help.

I'm not saying it cannot be improved. But Beestons get a lot of the operational side done a hell of a lot better than others even if they are not the most commercially active.
Totally agree, Beestons are very professional in their approach. Yes they lack branding but they make that back in customer service. I remember back in 1998 when they had 91a and 91b branding, First buses were empty and their bus drivers were not helpful. Then you had Beestons whose buses were full to the brim of people and were never late, unlike first at the time.

Beestons will keep the route as they wouldn’t be buying brand new buses which, I might add, are fully paid not leased. Beestons now 3rd oldest coach/bus company now so they won’t be leaving anytime soon.

M803UYA

Totally agree, Beestons are very professional in their approach. Yes they lack branding but they make that back in customer service. I remember back in 1998 when they had 91a and 91b branding, First buses were empty and their bus drivers were not helpful. Then you had Beestons whose buses were full to the brim of people and were never late, unlike first at the time.

Beestons will keep the route as they wouldn’t be buying brand new buses which, I might add, are fully paid not leased. Beestons now 3rd oldest coach/bus company now so they won’t be leaving anytime soon.
Being a smaller operator too, Beestons might have very minimal (to non existent) levels of lost mileage. The concept of missing a service trip is alien with the smaller operator. You can set your watch by it, and if no driver is available, then the boss will leave their desk to go drive.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I’m sure Beestons do their best but having had first hand experience of the service they’re not as popular amongst locals as some on here might think. Even pre-covid the 91 was gradually being reduced. A bit of competition is never a bad thing - it’s how Beestons gained that corridor in the first place.

Unfortunately you will always get people who are unhappy with their local bus service no matter how good of a service they will provide. I'm sure the vast majority of patrons of services on this forum would like a bus service that doesn't have trips cancelled at short notice because of driver shortages which continues to effect pretty much every other operator in the area.

Once these people start seeing services being dropped because of a lack of staff or because it's too awkward to run an extra bus to cope with service disruption because of the location of the depot being the wrong end of the route, I'm sure that they will soon change their mind. Unfortunately because the service has been reliable for some time and doesn't drop trips, people don't realise how good they have it compared to First and Ipswich Buses passengers who see drivers taking short cuts, missing stops and services being dropped on a regular basis due to lack of drivers

During severe service disruptions in the last few years when there was an incident on Orwell Bridge and surrounding roads, the one common trait was that whilst First and Ipswich Buses were cancelling services en-masse and not operating some journeys at all as that was the easiest thing to do, Beestons ran every single one even if an hour or two late and made sure the last service runs no matter what.

TAS

Being a smaller operator too, Beestons might have very minimal (to non existent) levels of lost mileage. The concept of missing a service trip is alien with the smaller operator. You can set your watch by it, and if no driver is available, then the boss will leave their desk to go drive.
Yep, Chambers' timetables used to state: "The bus will come even if it's late". And in my experience this is exactly what happened, with the only exception being severe snow. Sadly this has not been the case since Go-Ahead took over.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
According to a friend who was on a Beestons service from Sudbury today, there are notices up outlining a substantial curtailment of weekday services with effect of February half-term.

Essentially 3 short trips a day between Ipswich and Hadleigh and 2 short trips a day between Hadleigh are being cancelled Monday to Friday meaning the service reverts to every 2 hours between Hadleigh and Ipswich outside peak times.

In addition on a Saturday the 06:50 Hadleigh to Sudbury is cancelled and the 07:45 from Sudbury to Ipswich will run between Hadleigh and Ipswich only. This means the first bus from Sudbury to Ipswich on a Saturday will not arrive in Ipswich until 10:30.

As of yet Beestons have not signed up for the £2 fare promotion being run by the Government. I would assume this is because the Government payment to cover this promotion will leave them substantially worse off when you consider their fare prices.

buslad1988

According to a friend who was on a Beestons service from Sudbury today, there are notices up outlining a substantial curtailment of weekday services with effect of February half-term.

Essentially 3 short trips a day between Ipswich and Hadleigh and 2 short trips a day between Hadleigh are being cancelled Monday to Friday meaning the service reverts to every 2 hours between Hadleigh and Ipswich outside peak times.

In addition on a Saturday the 06:50 Hadleigh to Sudbury is cancelled and the 07:45 from Sudbury to Ipswich will run between Hadleigh and Ipswich only. This means the first bus from Sudbury to Ipswich on a Saturday will not arrive in Ipswich until 10:30.

As of yet Beestons have not signed up for the £2 fare promotion being run by the Government. I would assume this is because the Government payment to cover this promotion will leave them substantially worse off when you consider their fare prices.
If this is the case then that reiterates the point that the time has come for a bigger operator to try and make a success of the route before it’s lost altogether. It’ll become almost unusable for some with these restrictive times.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
If this is the case then that reiterates the point that the time has come for a bigger operator to try and make a success of the route before it’s lost altogether. It’ll become almost unusable for some with these restrictive times.

The 91 has always been made up of mostly three groups of people, commuters in morning and evening peak, students in the morning and evening peak and at lunchtime and concessionary pass holders during the middle of the day and leisure passengers on a Saturday.

The only group really affected by these changes to any degree is going to be the concessionary pass holders and they're probably going to just simply adjust their times around what the new schedule is with the dropped services.

I agree it's not ideal for the service to be cut back the way it is and it can never be a good thing but I would imagine that the services being pulled are poorly performing commercially and are nowhere near pulling their weight compared to the rest of the departures. I know even as recently as December some of the Ipswich to Hadleigh and vice versa shorts were not even managing a handful of passengers per journey.