• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East coast 12 February trying to get to Ipswich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going South

2024: Stuck for last two hours just south of Wakefield on 1715 [edit :1745] from Leeds. Apparently tree fell on train. Tow from Leeds back to Leeds got stuck in Wakefield. Awaiting tow from Doncaster. Could be a late night. Any ideas on getting to Ipswich tonight?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
My gut instinct would say go via London for your best chances, but I'm not sure.

TP

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well the last Peterborough service in that direction is 2145 if you're not at Doncaster yet then I'd say that it is highly unlikely and most likely impossible to make that so London would almost certainly be your best bet.

Also did you mean the 1815 as the 1715 arrived at Kings Cross 11 minutes late several hours ago!

Going South

Thanks for replies. Still not moved. Guard has been very good with announcements and delay forms.

SouthStand

Presumably it would be prudent to get the TM to endorse/excess his ticket via London (assuming it isn't already).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Presumably it would be prudent to get the TM to endorse/excess his ticket via London (assuming it isn't already).

Yes it would be wise but I would be very surprised if it wasn't already valid via London if the OP had a problem with the weather the way it is today!

Last train out of Liverpool Street is 2330 arriving Ipswich at 0051, so if you've not made it to Kings Cross by 2310 I'd suggest you'd be in serious danger of missing the last train to Ipswich.

dk1

Veteran Member
23.30 is your last train from Liverpool St. Usually a Norwich but terminating Ipswich tonight.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I fear you're not getting to Ipswich tonight... sorry!

TP

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Realistically if they're not moving within the next half an hour I'd say they're sunk and that assumes that the train in question can run linespeed. Are there any speed restrictions on the ECML?

David

Established Member
Judging by the winds here in Scunthorpe (it's blowing a fair bit), I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few restrictions in place ....

mm333

Traveline is suggesting also at 0018 Liverpool Street-Marks Tey (arr 0121, train continues to Colchester). Then pick at a National Express coach 250 outside the station at 0203, arriving at Ipswich at 0300. You can book the coach online for £8.10.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Read tweets bottom upwards:

If you choose not to travel, you should be able to claim a full, immediate, refund from the ticket office.

TP

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Going South

Apparently another tree has fallen on the train and light engine not yet arrived. Various hi vis suited men with torches and a big stick.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
you see if they can get you a taxi, but they may struggle to find one willing to take the fare.

sonic2009

Established Member
jopsuk:1707579 said:
you see if they can get you a taxi, but they may struggle to find one willing to take the fare.

Also depending on circumstances, EC may not due to the fact it's an act of god.

Last edited:

Established Member
Traveline is suggesting also at 0018 Liverpool Street-Marks Tey (arr 0121, train continues to Colchester). Then pick at a National Express coach 250 outside the station at 0203, arriving at Ipswich at 0300. You can book the coach online for £8.10.

01.21 to 02.03 at Marks Tey! Wouldn't be my choice, especially as the bus stop is not right by the station. 00.46 Liverpool St to Colchester then taxi, always plenty of taxis at Colchester, even at 02.00. Or give up and start again tomorrow.

Going South

Thanks again for advice. Even stopping the journey is difficult unless EC pay for hotel. On Advance ticket via Peterborough. In better news, light engine has arrived and second tree is almost removed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
..but not yet moving

sonic2009

Established Member
Going South:1707625 said:
Thanks again for advice. Even stopping the journey is difficult unless EC pay for hotel. On Advance ticket via Peterborough. In better news, light engine has arrived and second tree is almost removed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
..but not yet moving

Have u sought assistance from the guard?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
At this point i would seek the guard, if nothing else I would not be surprised if your train was terminated at Doncaster!

mm333

East Coast are now predicting that the 1745 will be 268 minutes late into Kings Cross, which I make to be an arrival time of 0028.

harz99

2024: Stuck for last two hours just south of Wakefield on 1715 [edit :1745] from Leeds. Apparently tree fell on train. Tow from Leeds back to Leeds got stuck in Wakefield. Awaiting tow from Doncaster. Could be a late night. Any ideas on getting to Ipswich tonight?

You are not going to get to Ipswich tonight! As others have said, talk to the train manager if you have not already done so.

Going South

Taxis were not prebooked (you'd have thought a phone call ahead with numbers for destinations might have been possible in the previous 4 hrs). But EC staff at Peterborough worked quickly and cheerfully. 20 mins later we were underway. Minibus stopping at Bury St E, Stowmarket, village in middle of nowhere and then 3 drops in Ipswich. Driver needed a little persuading to take people home rather than dump at station (as EC had promised), but a threat to sleep in his bus in preferences to a one mile walk helped. Arrived Ipswich 0315.
Some issues on train with unhelpful staff (not the guard) refusing to confirm if PBO would be staffed.

sonic2009

Established Member
Glad to hear you arrived home safely. In regards to staffing at PBO I believe that staff are there 24-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.