• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast drivers on Aberdeen section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuna84

Hi all, as I was travelling up to Aberdeen last night (21:17 arrival), the thought struck me, how do the drivers do the shifts, with a view towards working the following morning. Obviously there are 3 London trains each day with a 4th to Aberdeen from Leeds. There is a driver change at Edinburgh I am pretty sure (confirmation on here to come probs). The first direct train from London which arrives at 17:37 then works back to Edinburgh so that driver is covered. As for my driver last night, I assume he then works the 7:52 the next morning to London with the driver who worked the 23:07? arrival the night before then working the 9:52 towards London. Is this how it works in practice?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tynesider

I believe, although may be incorrect that a Newcastle driver travels passenger on the Highland Chieftain as far as Edinburgh. He then works the train from Edinburgh to Inverness, takes it to the depot for refuelling, before bringing it back into the station, and booking off for the night. As this would leave insufficient rest time before working the 07:55 southbound from Inverness the next day, he travels pass across to Aberdeen then works the mid-afternoon departure South (14:50ish).

The other way round, the 07:10 Leeds - Aberdeen is worked by a Newcastle driver from either Newcastle or Edinburgh (I cannot remember which). Upon arrival into Aberdeen, he is relieved by the Newcastle driver who worked the Inverness service the previous day, before travelling pass to Inverness, booking off and lodging.

As he books off early, he can book on early the next day to prep the Chieftain in Inverness station before working it South.

Hope this is of use

You are indeed correct about the 0710 Leeds to Aberdeen, 2 Newcastle drivers join at Newcastle, 1 to take over from the Leeds driver and one joins pass in 1st class who then takes over at Waverley and takes the train to Aberdeen, pass to Inverness and into lodgings, back on the 0755.

cuna84

Many thanks for the response, so I am correct still in my assumptions that the driver of the 21:00 (ish) arrival into Aberdeen works the 7:52 the following morning, and the 23:00 arrival does the 9:52?

westcoaster

Established Member
Many thanks for the response, so I am correct still in my assumptions that the driver of the 21:00 (ish) arrival into Aberdeen works the 7:52 the following morning, and the 23:00 arrival does the 9:52?

No he can't do that due to having to have 12 hours rest between shifts. If he finished at 2100 he could not book on until 0900 the next day.

scotsman

Established Member
On the Chieftain a Newcastle Driver takes over at Newcastle and takes it up to Inverness and back the next day

FGWman

Some TOCs permit the minimum rest period when lodging to be reduced to 9 hours

Rest period for lodging turns has always been 9 hours. There are so few lodging turns these days not many people now that.

I believe the thinking is that lodging will be very close to the station so driver get enough sleep. 12 hours is normal to allow for the driver to get to his home sleep and get back to depot the next day

E&W Lucas

Established Member
12 hours for shifts, at our depot the rule is no more that 5 hours of continual driving, may be different at different depots dependent on routes covered.

Hidden - 12 hours for shifts, but no driving beyond the 11th hour except in an emergency.
In seat time is company specific. 5 hours sounds pretty high! 4 in my case, and we're rarely rostered close to that.

junglejames

Established Member
The driver who arrives on the last arrival from Aberdeen, then takes it for refuelling etc. He doesnt knock off until around 0300hrs the next morning. He leaves late afternoon. 1700 ish??

EltonRoad

You are indeed correct about the 0710 Leeds to Aberdeen, 2 Newcastle drivers join at Newcastle, 1 to take over from the Leeds driver and one joins pass in 1st class who then takes over at Waverley and takes the train to Aberdeen, pass to Inverness and into lodgings, back on the 0755.

On the Chieftain a Newcastle Driver takes over at Newcastle and takes it up to Inverness and back the next day

Which is correct? :)

Or is there double-manning going on? I've seen two in the cab when photographing it last year.

Pumbaa

Established Member
As far as I was aware the Chieftain was a lodging turn for a Newcastle crew; they take it to Inverness, lodge, work it back the next morning.

Aictos

Established Member
Which is correct? :)

Or is there double-manning going on? I've seen two in the cab when photographing it last year.

I would go for YorkshireRider as he does work for East Coast so ought to have a good idea, no disrespect intended to Scotsman though.

tynesider

As I understand it, the back end staff work the Chieftain from Newcastle to Inverness and back the next day. They can book off duty as soon as the train arrives into Inverness

However, as the Driver takes the train for refuelling, then back to stable in Inverness station, by the time he books off duty, he will have insufficient rest time before the requirement for the train to be prepped the next day - This is why the drivers pass between Inverness and Aberdeen, and vice versa.

The driver workings i posted re the 0710 leeds-aberdeen then back 0755 inv-kx are correct because i have been told by the drivers working this very shift. Other diagrams im unsure about but what tynesider says does sound right, except dont think the back end staff do work the next day as both catering crew and guards must have minimum 12 hours rest between booked shifts. As the chieftain arrives Inverness 2008 and leaves the next day 0755 and add to the fact the book on time is 25 mins before the train leaves and the book off time is 10 mins after the train arrives it would not be possiable.(the only exception being if a catering crew member was on overtime, in which case the minimum rest becomes 10 hours). Think its more likely they work day on, day off, however they could work sat and sun together as the train leaves Inverness later on sun morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.