• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossforth

Established Member
Hey Guys

I've been searching for some Hornby East Coast MK3 coaches without much success. I've been watching the MK3s sell on eBay the past few days for over £100 a piece... why?

Anyone know where I can get some at a more reasonable price?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
As noted, the East Coast HST and coaches were limited editions for Model Zone (no longer trading), so you can either spend big in the secondhand market, spend big getting a professional respray or learn to respray and create transfers yourself.....

Crossforth

Established Member
Ah well. I shall keep hunting and praying that one comes within my budget. I did manage to get one earlier for just over £20 in a shop. If I'd've been in on Friday I could have had all 4 different coaches. Ah well.

HawkeyeTheNoo

I saw a few at rrp in the WHS/Modelzone in Glasgow a month or so ago! If you are near to one of the few of these branches that exist you could give them a go!

Crossforth

Established Member
I saw a few at rrp in the WHS/Modelzone in Glasgow a month or so ago! If you are near to one of the few of these branches that exist you could give them a go!

I may give a few a call and see what they have. If they do it means a trek to either Manchester or Meadowhall. Cheers for the info though

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There was a Trailer Standard in the WHSmiths in Manchester Arndale earlier today, £24.99 I think. Didn't see any of the other coaches though.

Crossforth

Established Member
There was a Trailer Standard in the WHSmiths in Manchester Arndale earlier today, £24.99 I think. Didn't see any of the other coaches though.

Thank you for the info. I rung MZ this morning and they've put it to one side for me so I am now on the train on my way there.

Thanks again guys for everything :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well I've been to Manchester and bought the East Coast Mk3 that was there. £19.99 so the eBay sellers can suck on that as I'm not paying through the Nose for one. Cheers for the help again guys :)

HawkeyeTheNoo

Glad you got one! Might be a good idea to call them every so often just in case they get more in! I have three of the four and hope to get the standard class at some point!

David Goddard

Established Member
The problem here was that, in line with most limited edition runs, Hornby produced the same number of each coach (First, Buffet, Standard and TGS)

As we know, the real thing is not formed of just one of each, and modellers don't normally create formations like that either. Therefore there are plenty of TGS and buffets around, a mild shortage of Trailer Firsts and a chronic shortage of Trailer Seconds (R4441).

I ordered five of the latter from Modelzone when they were still trading and they never came, have managed to find one since. Should anyone on here see some please let me know.

Crossforth

Established Member
The problem here was that, in line with most limited edition runs, Hornby produced the same number of each coach (First, Buffet, Standard and TGS)

As we know, the real thing is not formed of just one of each, and modellers don't normally create formations like that either. Therefore there are plenty of TGS and buffets around, a mild shortage of Trailer Firsts and a chronic shortage of Trailer Seconds (R4441).

I ordered five of the latter from Modelzone when they were still trading and they never came, have managed to find one since. Should anyone on here see some please let me know.

I've heard that if you put an order in with MZ, Hornby can do something about it if you contact them.

I now have a TGS and as of today have a TF. The bloke did say they may get more in.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Glad you got one! Might be a good idea to call them every so often just in case they get more in! I have three of the four and hope to get the standard class at some point!

I think I may well check back periodically to see if they have anymore. It would Be nice to have 3 coaches in my set as my layout can't take much more but it may one day so I might stock up.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The problem here was that, in line with most limited edition runs, Hornby produced the same number of each coach (First, Buffet, Standard and TGS).....

You have to accept that the manufacturers believe the modeller's thinking is....

..... It would Be nice to have 3 coaches in my set as my layout can't take much more....

Bearing in mind that a 2+4 HST in OO gauge is around 6 feet long!

Crossforth

Established Member
If anyone is interested, I've just got back from WHSmith's Meadowhall with an EC MK3 buffet car. They had another two when I left. I also picked up an FGW MK3 TF of which I bought one and there was one other left.

Status
Not open for further replies.