• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Seat Reservations map ignored my request!

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
I booked some tickets on East Coast tonight, using the new seat reservation map, and it ignored my requests! I asked to be seated in Coach K on the way out, and Coach B on the way back. Instead, it gave me M and E! (For the record, yes I do have 1st class on the way out and Standard on the way back!). I did pick the seats and confirmed them, and the reservations did change but when I got to the final screen they changed back to what they were before. I don't know what stage they changed back at, because I wasn't paying attention to that small detail.

I've fired an e-mail off to East Coast to ask if they can rectify the situation; in particular stressing that I was seeking seats in the quiet coach. What are the chances of them changing the reservations, bearing in mind that I've booked Advance tickets for both legs of the journey? (I appreciate that they're next to nil, but if you don't ask you don't get).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
The annoying thing as well is someone like me will end up in the quite coach who doesn't want to be because they have no seats elsewhere.

On my last journey I as for an individual seat and ended up on a table. Got on the train and the only unreserved seats were the individual. :-/

Furrball

Chances of getting changed slim to none I would guess. I am having an argument with them at present in that I have reservations booked on the old seating plan for 2 seats either side of a table but these are now true individual seats based on the new seating layout.

Their website has been unable to handle requests for 2 x individual seats for many months, and now they just look stupid when you select individual seats and the text advises you that the system was unable to allocate this requirement but looking at the seating plan shows many such seats available.

I wonder how any passengers have been *£(*£($*£)" off when boarding a reseated HST to find their seats no longer match what they thought they had booked.

me123

Established Member
I had a feeling it would be next to nil, but I sent an e-mail off, in particularly referring to "booking a table for two being a key reason for upgrading to first class". The worst comes to the worst, nothing happens. But it's quite worrying that the system doesn't seem to be working, in particular for families who could be split up if they're booking nearer the deadline.

It's not so bad in Standard Class, but they've allocated the two of us to a table of 4 in FC, and I don't want to be sat next to a pair of suits looking down their noses at us...

I know if you phone the call centre number they are able to change reservations, I appreciate this does cost to make the phone call though.

me123

Established Member
Ahh, but they're not open at 9pm! The e-mail is worth a try, and by the time they get back to me (hopefully not too long), there should still be plenty of seats available. The thing is that they're advance tickets and I believe they're therefore subject to a fee for any change?

If it was simply a reservation issue, it's easy enough to go to the station and make a new reservation, but I don't really want to pay to alter the tickets.

Failed Unit

Established Member
My experience is they won't alter reservations at stations. I as for a change to an open ticket so I could travel a different day. No you bought them over the Internet came the reply.

Furrball

I know if you phone the call centre number they are able to change reservations, I appreciate this does cost to make the phone call though.

As expected, having spoken to Customer Relations they say they cannot do anything to amend the reservations.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just booked a ticket in first class myself, tried to change the seat they gave me and was unsuccessful, it doesn't really bother me as I was fine with the seat originally allocated but EC really need to get that fixed as it is quite annoying.

island

Veteran Member
Unless the train's rammed you can presumably go and sit somewhere else when you board, no?

me123

Established Member
I just booked a ticket in first class myself, tried to change the seat they gave me and was unsuccessful, it doesn't really bother me as I was fine with the seat originally allocated but EC really need to get that fixed as it is quite annoying.

Is it an issue with the select a seat problem? If so, it is quite annoying. I'm travelling with someone, and I don't necessarily want to sit side by side staring at a pair of businesspeople, even if it is only until Newcastle; in particular I wanted to sit in the quiet coach.

Hopefully if it's an issue they may be able to do something. I'll wait until my reply before worrying myself. It's really just a bit of an inconvenience more than anything else.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, but most EC trains I personally use are rammed.

Well, I'm only on until Newcastle, so in my experience there's usually plenty of free seats between Edinburgh and Newcastle (although I've never done FC).

Smethwickian

Unless the train's rammed you can presumably go and sit somewhere else when you board, no?

Please don't, because it's very annoying for other rule-obeying people who, on a busy train, avoid seats marked "reserved", sit somewhere they don't like or maybe even stand for a while, only to see the seat remaining empty long after departure. Very annoying indeed.

Furrball

Please don't, because it's very annoying for other rule-obeying people who, on a busy train, avoid seats marked "reserved", sit somewhere they don't like or maybe even stand for a while, only to see the seat remaining empty long after departure. Very annoying indeed.

Well this is the advice that is being handed out by East Coast customer service staff . . .

island

Veteran Member
On services with paper reservation dockets on the seats, if I was doing this I would also remove the reservation docket from the seat I wasn't taking up.

I possibly wouldn't do it on a pendolino or train with electronic displays.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On my last journey I as for an individual seat and ended up on a table.
The only seats that are "individual" are first class seats. If you booked in standard it should have said that there are no seats of that type available. If you booked in 1st then perhaps a set-swap took place.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The only seats that are "individual" are first class seats. If you booked in standard it should have said that there are no seats of that type available. If you booked in 1st then perhaps a set-swap took place.

It was in 1st, sheduled for a mk4 and was a mk4

me123

Established Member
I received an e-mail saying to go to a manned station and change my reservations there. They'll probably charge me for the privilege of doing so.

Furrball

Hmm, be interested if you are successful as so far all I have had is 'nothing we can do'

Dreadnought

On services with paper reservation dockets on the seats, if I was doing this I would also remove the reservation docket from the seat I wasn't taking up.

I possibly wouldn't do it on a pendolino or train with electronic displays.

On the rare occasion I have travelled EC I have always noticed that seats can be reserved for 2 or 3 different legs on the journey so not always possible to remove the docket.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Personally if the reserved seat I have been allocated is not what I wanted then I will regularly sit somewhere else. VT are always allocating pillar seats when a window is requested, even if it is the only reserved seat in the entire carriage!!

If a reserved seat is unoccupied I would always check to see where it is to and from before deciding whether to sit down or not anyway.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Don't know if it is a flaw, but you can't change your seat on a "Scottish Executive Package" unless you want to move into standard that is. If you try and move to another seat in first you get the "Ticket not valid in this coach"

An update to this, when booking my seat I requested a backwards facing individaul seat, I was given seat 15A as I was told that no individaul seat existed. Upon boading the service only 3 reservations were in the entire coach - none of them on individaul seats, I know I am very down on East Coast at the moment, but annoying that my preferences were ignored when the coach I was booked in was nearly empty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.