• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Timetable Dec 24

Scotrail88

Can’t see a thread for this but there are several points about such as LNER cut backs from Glasgow and Stirling and Lumo extras.

Any summaries ahead of final timetables being released?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can’t see a thread for this but there are several points about such as LNER cut backs from Glasgow and Stirling and Lumo extras.

Any summaries ahead of final timetables being released?
There was a thread in January, but it was closed:

LUMO additional services are being discussed here:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
There are ongoing discussions between NR and the DfT this week as the Dec 2024 ECML timetable has several significant issues and NR, at the highest level, want to postpone it, to avoid a repeat of the 2018 fiasco and give them time to sort out the many issues.

Bidding at D-40 is going to be messy as most operators will have to bid as if it is going ahead otherwise they could lose priority.

Established Member
There are ongoing discussions between NR and the DfT this week as the Dec 2024 ECML timetable has several significant issues and NR, at the highest level, want to postpone it, to avoid a repeat of the 2018 fiasco and give them time to sort out the many issues.

Bidding at D-40 is going to be messy as most operators will have to bid as if it is going ahead otherwise they could lose priority.
It's not a great reflection on the industry as a whole if a timetable which has been in development for years still has "significant issues", bearing in mind there was a consultation on it in 2021. It goes back even further if you include the wrangling between ORR, NR, DfT and long distance TOCs - note not freight - over East Coast Mainline access getting on for a decade ago!

If I were at the Treasury I think I'd want to get my investment back on Werrington, Kings Cross remodelling and the ECML power supply and connectivity schemes so I can imagine how the conversations between DfT and NR might be going...

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
Lots of issues with freight paths with firm rights being pushed out by passenger services without any. Its a bit messy apparently.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Lots of issues with freight paths with firm rights being pushed out by passenger services without any. Its a bit messy apparently.

Indeed, which obviously won’t happen as there’s no way that will win at ADRC but it’s an enormous mess!

Class 466

Established Member
It's not a great reflection on the industry as a whole if a timetable which has been in development for years still has "significant issues", bearing in mind there was a consultation on it in 2021. It goes back even further if you include the wrangling between ORR, NR, DfT and long distance TOCs - note not freight - over East Coast Mainline access getting on for a decade ago!

If I were at the Treasury I think I'd want to get my investment back on Werrington, Kings Cross remodelling and the ECML power supply and connectivity schemes so I can imagine how the conversations between DfT and NR might be going...
I see the ECML recast has been mentioned in the Budget today… so it’s a case of Government vs Industry on this then.

yes, that is that decided then, and rail industry needs to get with the government programme:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ring_Budget_Mar_24_TEXT_20pt_LP_PRINT__2_.pdf:

4.14 At Spring Budget, the government is giving the green light to the next section of East West Rail, accelerating works to allow services from Oxford to Bedford to run by the end of the decade. It is also upgrading the timetable on the East Coast mainline from December 2024, delivering the benefits from £4 billion of government investment by providing faster and more frequent services between London and Yorkshire, Newcastle, the North East, and Edinburgh.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
One of the problems with timetable recasts that go through a long development period is that they continually get overtaken by events. It’s difficult when freight operators fill up the available space but if the demand is there now, it does kindof suggest that cancelling the eastern legs of HS2 (which would have partially relieved the ECML) was a bad idea!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
It’s difficult when freight operators fill up the available space

In this instance this isn’t the case, the freights which NR have not been able to find paths for are long standing services with firm access rights. Just taking them out the timetable to run extra passenger services really isn’t very pragmatic regardless to whatever has been announced in todays budget.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
It isn’t legal, either. If NR wanted to use the “better use” provisions in Part J of the Network Code, they have run out of time for December 24.

They have made a real mess of this timetable recast, so far.

Class 170101

Established Member
It isn’t legal, either. If NR wanted to use the “better use” provisions in Part J of the Network Code, they have run out of time for December 24.

They have made a real mess of this timetable recast, so far.
What about May 2025?

In this instance this isn’t the case, the freights which NR have not been able to find paths for are long standing services with firm access rights. Just taking them out the timetable to run extra passenger services really isn’t very pragmatic regardless to whatever has been announced in todays budget.
I thought that the planned third path each hour for LNER between York and Newcastle for an additional Kings Cross to Newcastle service is at the expense of TPE and XC so there is no increase in the number of paths taken by passenger trains on this section of the East Coast Mainline. I thought that between Peterborough and Doncaster freight trains have paths via Spalding which was the point of the Werrington dive under. Is the lack of available paths between Doncaster and York? If not where on the East Coast Mainline is the lack of paths for the proposed additional third LNER train each hour from Kings Cross to Newcastle? Could the hourly XC Reading to York train (I understand it will be hourly again from May 2025) which currently runs on the ECML between Doncaster and York be diverted via Pontefract Baghill? It would probably be better for this XC train always to terminate at York and leave TPE with two paths an hour between York and Newcastle. As they are saving tens of billions of pounds by not extending HS2 from Birmingham to Leeds they should use some of the money saved to create more capacity on the East Coast Mainline as there is clearly still not enough capacity on the ECML.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I thought that the planned third path each hour for LNER between York and Newcastle for an additional Kings Cross to Newcastle service is at the expense of TPE and XC so there is no increase in the number of paths taken by passenger trains on this section of the East Coast Mainline. I thought that between Peterborough and Doncaster freight trains have paths via Spalding which was the point of the Werrington dive under. Is the lack of available paths between Doncaster and York? If not where on the East Coast Mainline is the lack of paths for the proposed additional third LNER train each hour from Kings Cross to Newcastle? Could the hourly XC Reading to York train (I understand it will be hourly again from May 2025) which currently runs on the ECML between Doncaster and York be diverted via Pontefract Baghill? It would probably be better for this XC train always to terminate at York and leave TPE with two paths an hour between York and Newcastle. As they are saving tens of billions of pounds by not extending HS2 from Birmingham to Leeds they should use some of the money saved to create more capacity on the East Coast Mainline as there is clearly still not enough capacity on the ECML.
Its not just the ECML where the issues are. I believe a new Northern service is ploughing through some freight paths.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
But I think binning XC off York to Newcastle and replacing it with TPE doesn’t reflect where people actually want to travel to, according to the recently published origin/destination data.

Class 466

Established Member
But I think binning XC off York to Newcastle and replacing it with TPE doesn’t reflect where people actually want to travel to, according to the recently published origin/destination data.
is there a link to this data?

Established Member

jfollows

Established Member
It does seem bonkers that the railway finds it so hard to construct something as basic as a timetable, I’m not trying to criticise the people doing the work but presumably it’s because of the myriad of complex and competing pressures they have to take into account, plus that in May 2018 they made mistakes they won’t want to repeat. I just feel that the whole process needs to be blown up and restarted, that’d probably be impossible but “GB Rail” was presumably originally intended to do some of this, but presumably won’t in whatever watered-down version finally emerges.

The Planner

Veteran Member
It does seem bonkers that the railway finds it so hard to construct something as basic as a timetable, I’m not trying to criticise the people doing the work but presumably it’s because of the myriad of complex and competing pressures they have to take into account, plus that in May 2018 they made mistakes they won’t want to repeat. I just feel that the whole process needs to be blown up and restarted, that’d probably be impossible but “GB Rail” was presumably originally intended to do some of this, but presumably won’t in whatever watered-down version finally emerges.
Politics are the issue as well as the ever present "move freight out of the way". May 18 was different, on paper it worked but lots of people knew that was a disaster waiting to happen but were over ruled. This timetable hasn't even got to the point where it even works on paper.

LNERTTproposal.jpeg

This was from the 2021? consultation. Not sure how much it has moved on since then

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
View attachment 153804

This was from the 2021? consultation. Not sure how much it has moved on since then
It’s also the same as the ‘end game’ 2020 timetable in the 2015 application, eg it still includes a Sunderland extension, and we know that’s going to be withdrawn. I think Glasgow and Stirling are also being binned according to recent discussions.

Only one in every two of the XC Reading to York trains will be extended to Newcastle when the hourly service is restored as XC will only have 1.5 paths per hour York to Newcastle. The former five extensions a day Reading to Southampton are not being reinstated. All the hourly XC Plymouth-Bristol-Birmingham-Derby-Sheffield-Leeds-York-Newcastle-Edinburgh trains will continue to run. Which passengers would be missing out if all the XC Reading to York trains terminate at York?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Only one in every two of the XC Reading to York trains will be extended to Newcastle when the hourly service is restored as XC will only have 1.5 paths per hour York to Newcastle.
Well, having read the TAA again, that limitation is not really made clear at all, they just refer to services on the “Reading/Newcastle corridor” being mostly hourly.
The former five extensions a day Reading to Southampton are not being reinstated.
On the other hand those extensions are not mentioned at all so I’d definitely read them as not happening.

Last edited:
Only one in every two of the XC Reading to York trains will be extended to Newcastle when the hourly service is restored as XC will only have 1.5 paths per hour York to Newcastle.
Well, having read the TAA again, that limitation is not really made clear at all, they just refer to services on the “Reading/Newcastle corridor” being mostly hourly.
See
Meeting: Rail North Committee Consultation Call
Subject: East Coast Main Line December 2024 Timetable
Meeting Date: Tuesday, 14 November 2023
1. Purpose of the Report:
1.1 This report describes the proposed timetable to be introduced on the East Coast Main Line and connecting routes in December 2024 and discusses the implications for Transport for the North.
3.8 The main weaknesses of the revised proposal from Transport for the North’s point of view are:
• The current 1.5 trains per hour (i.e. one train in one hour then two trains in the next hour) between Manchester and Newcastle is reduced to hourly, this service having been already reduced from two per hour in 2019. Its path is effectively used to accommodate the additional London service with connections at York to other services pending the provision of additional infrastructure
• Cross Country services would be hourly between Sheffield/Leeds/York/Newcastle and Scotland, as now, with the Sheffield/Doncaster/York/Newcastle service operating every other hour.

Robski_

Possibly a wild shot, but does anyone know whether GTR plans to go ahead with the changes as consulted on in the timetable consultation from 2021? More specifically:
  • Peterborough - Horsham to gain an extra stop at Knebworth in peaks
  • Cambridge stopper to be merged with the Baldock peak service during peak hours (i.e. a new semi fast service and a curtailed stopper) - presumably they would need additional trains and drivers for this?
Cambridge stopper rebranding to GN and Welwyn to Sevenoaks peak service extensions were also part of this and have already been introduced.

When I asked GTR about it I was told the consultation didn't exist...