• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Trains Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I think DfT will quickly intervene if a franchise and open access operators are seen to be integrated at all, at least as seen by the public. Chiltern caught a cold over certain aspects of their operations when WSMR were operating, although I forget the exact details...
Yes, the last thing we want is integration and cooperation. That way madness lies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver068

Out of curiosity, due to the Coronavirus pandemic and the financial implications this will have on many employers, employees, families ect. What is the likelihood that East Coast Trains Ltd may now be a none starter. Could this COVID19 outbreak end a OAO like ECT before its even started.

It goes without saying the Health and Safety of us all is paramount in these difficult times.

Look after yourself, stay safe guys

Domh245

Established Member
It certainly could delay the start of operations if it drags on, although the services hadn't appeared in the timetable yet had they (as GC's west coast operation had).

Seeing as their first few vehicles are arriving/have arrived at Newton Aycliffe already for final assembly, it could be a bit of an interesting one if First decided to throw the towel in now, although I suppose LNER would then be able to use those units to replace the IC225s they're keeping post 2021.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
No wibble please, it’s going ahead as planned. The only issue at the moment is the stop on all work at Newton Aycliffe.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
To the person who saw the bodyshell - is it a standard 80x style one, or does it have the doors-at-thirds layout and different front from other 80x that the artist's impressions showed? I seem to recall the artist's impression made it look a lot more like a slightly elongated Javelin unit than a regular 80x.

Carlisle

Established Member
Yes, the last thing we want is integration and cooperation. That way madness lies.
All well & good, providing ones never knowingly indulged in a competitive market to obtain a better deal.

Last edited:

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The units will be a standard class only 5 car 80(x) so I would expect the interior to be broadly similar to a TPE 802 but with the standard class A carriage configuration at both ends and no galley equipment. That’s all I know from internal (within TPE) talk, not much further is known at this stage.

Driver068

I believe i have read somewhere that the class 80x type is different from others on the network in terms of engine. Im sure ive read the power supply is overhead and powering batteries so if over heads are down or faulty then it will be battery power instead of diesel engine.

Anyone have any ideas or input on this info please.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe i have read somewhere that the class 80x type is different from others on the network in terms of engine. Im sure ive read the power supply is overhead and powering batteries so if over heads are down or faulty then it will be battery power instead of diesel engine.

Anyone have any ideas or input on this info please.
Modern Railways published a piece a while ago explicitly stating that the units would not have battery traction. I think it had been a massively wrong assumption, based on the news that they were not getting the limp mode diesel engine that the EC 801s have.

I posted it in the thread we had last year about the “803s” here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...n-access-operation.179999/page-4#post-4006186

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Given the shortage of power in the overheads I personally can’t see these not having any engines fitted....

Would make sense to be be conventional 802s, should ECT fail or otherwise not go ahead the modular nature of the IEP/AT300, the stock can easily be refitted and retasked to TPE, GW or LNER as they are all short of units, or to HT or even GC.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Given the shortage of power in the overheads I personally can’t see these not having any engines fitted....

Would make sense to be be conventional 802s, should ECT fail or otherwise not go ahead the modular nature of the IEP/AT300, the stock can easily be refitted and retasked to TPE, GW or LNER as they are all short of units, or to HT or even GC.
Your obviously entitled to your opinion, but all the previous evidence is that they are definitely not having Diesel engines...

Clarence Yard

Established Member
They are electric only, no diesel engines will be fitted and the batteries are for hotel power in case of OHL failure.

Seating configuration is something that will be announced later.

mcmad

Given there isn't enough juice in the wires North of Newcastle for the trains running now, how are these magically going to be powered until the extra feeder stations are online?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Given there isn't enough juice in the wires North of Newcastle for the trains running now, how are these magically going to be powered until the extra feeder stations are online?
They presumably won’t start service until the power upgrade is completed? I suspect the full ECML timetable including all planned open access requires Werrington diveunder and Kings Cross station upgrades as well...

Roast Veg

Established Member
The power upgrade was never cancelled, though it has been delayed more than once I believe. It'll be done before this service starts, that's for sure, and plenty of other operators will be pleased to hear it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The power upgrade was never cancelled, though it has been delayed more than once I believe. It'll be done before this service starts, that's for sure, and plenty of other operators will be pleased to hear it.
The TPE track access for their Edinburgh services states that it is understood to be planned for completion during 2021. I’m hoping that is reasonably accurate information.

Status
Not open for further replies.