• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon Station closed - evening 02/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gavin

Local flats near the station reportedly getting evacuated but this is unconfirmed

gavin

Trains which were close to the station are starting to reverse back so they are further away

RichardKing

Trains are being reversed away from East Croydon. Some unconfirmed reports on Twitter about it not being a false alarm (one or two stating that they have received this information from the driver over the PA system), but this is obviously just speculation.

Awaiting further information...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Trains are being reversed away from East Croydon. Some unconfirmed reports on Twitter about it not being a false alarm (one or two stating that they have received this information from the driver over the PA system), but this is obviously just speculation.

Doesn't sound good... hopefully it is just a false alarm and the authorities are being super-cautious.

gavin

I've seen those tweets need to await the arrival of the bomb disposal unit and official info from the emergency services

RichardKing

I've seen those tweets need to await the arrival of the bomb disposal unit and official info from the emergency services

Of course. I'm not sure where the driver would've got this specific information from either (the signaller wouldn't be aware at this stage, surely? Especially without the presence of bomb disposal).

thenorthern

Established Member
There have been unconfirmed reports on Twitter that a pipe bomb has been found. Again this is unconfirmed reports so it could change.

gavin

Uber's prices have increased in the area due to high demand...

Bromley boy

Established Member
Uber's prices have increased in the area due to high demand...

That's unsurprising.

In fairness it's due to an algorithm rather than a deliberate attempt to profiteer, even if it might appear that way.

gavin

All clear given

@BTP

UPDATE - The item at #EastCroydon has been declared non suspicious.

The station will be reopening very shortly!

thenorthern

Established Member
Its been confirmed as a false alarm by British Transport Police and the station will re-open soon. Its not ideal but better safe than sorry.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Of course. I'm not sure where the driver would've got this specific information from either (the signaller wouldn't be aware at this stage, surely? Especially without the presence of bomb disposal).

Perhaps the driver was trying to prevent a panic? We've already had one spontaneous detraining on 3rd-rail lines today!

RichardKing

All trains have now been moved at least two signalling blocks (apologies if incorrect terminology) away from the station now.

1C83 is the closest, currently standing at South Croydon on the up fast; 1F83 has just set back into Norwood Junction. All platforms have 'SHUT' interposed on their signalling berths.

EDIT: just seen the 'all clear' given. Thank God for that! Good to see the quick response.

Platforms 1 & 2 to remain closed until Police 'clear up'

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
BTP scanners and dogs were deployed and it was still deemed suspicious but then, once it was blown up, it wasn’t.

Something a bit weird going on. But I’m glad it proved non-suspicious in the end.

Lots of trains over an hour late but TL/Southern are, to be fair, doing quite well at monitoring it all. They also managed to get all stranded trains alongside platforms within about an hour, which isn’t bad going in the evening peak.

My advice to passengers would be to avoid Victoria for the time being (other termini are apparently less crowded) and try to head as far south as possible on alternative routes. Standard stuff really.

Engineering works will be postponed if needed to allow GTR to get people home.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
Just been advised London Bridge has been suffering reactionary problems due to the low level platforms being blocked with delayed / displaced trains. (This is happening quite regularly at this specific point on a weekday evening during major disruption events... Victoria usually follows an hour or two later... we shall see).

Apparently the suspect package contained electrical items but they were harmless maintenance supplies.

Buses to be used to cover connections towards the Arun Valley and West Sussex as needed.

Last edited:

farleigh

Just been advised London Bridge has been suffering reactionary problems due to the low level platforms being blocked with delayed / displaced trains. (This is happening quite regularly at this specific point on a weekday evening during major disruption events... Victoria usually follows an hour or two later... we shall see).

Apparently the suspect package contained electrical items but they were harmless maintenance supplies.

Buses to be used to cover connections towards the Arun Valley and West Sussex as needed.

Excellent updates tsr - thank you

Thebaz

When I asked a member of gateline staff at London Bridge what the problem was (this was about 22.20), I was told "because a [pejorative term - can't remember exactly what it was!] customer threw a suspect package out of a train window"!! Must have been on a 455 then.

tsr

Established Member
When I asked a member of gateline staff at London Bridge what the problem was (this was about 22.20), I was told "because a [pejorative term - can't remember exactly what it was!] customer threw a suspect package out of a train window"!! Must have been on a 455 then.

Most unlikely. The item was discovered on the island of platforms 1 & 2. Class 455s do not regularly use these platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.