• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon station: ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mac

Has anyone else noticed the translucent film which has recently been applied to the glass walls of the ramps leading to the platforms of East Croydon station?

I am unclear of the thinking behind this monstrous addition. It seems to add nothing and in my opinion very much detracts from the clean and functional design originally envisioned by the architects of the 1992 re-design of the station.

Walking down the ramps now feels like being in a steamy bathroom with no windows in the middle of the winter, the effect being akin to heavy condensation.

I heard a rumour it has been installed in an effort to dissuade folks from running down the ramps as they see a train pulling in. That is in my view no excuse for totally mangling the vision and aesthetic of the architects who originally designed the elegant steel and glass framework.

In any event, as of 7 AM on Monday this week, folks were still running down the ramps as per usual.

Interested to hear forum members views on this most unfortunate development...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Big Mac

Thanks for the link - it seems the subject has been touched upon, but only in the more general context of the other works currently going on at East Croydon.

Those seem to be taking far longer that they might reasonably be expected to be, but I was specifically asking about the films of translucent plastic on the glass walls of the ramps which would to my mind be separate from the work going on in relation to the new platform canopies.

Interesting perspectives nonetheless, so thank you for bringing these posts to my attention.

physics34

Established Member
dont you like the pretty birds and deer theyve put on the side of it.....

...it really is pathetic, lol

Big Mac

dont you like the pretty birds and deer theyve put on the side of it.....

...it really is pathetic, lol

Oddly enough, no I don't!

They make it look even worse than if it was plain. Wait a few short months and it'll likely start peeling away at the edges and flapping around in the wind...

I'm minded to start a campaign to get this detritus removed. Seriously, there was no consultation about it and rail users have paid for it. I bet it wasn't cheap to install either...

blotred

They make it look even worse than if it was plain. Wait a few short months and it'll likely start peeling away at the edges and flapping around in the wind...

I'm minded to start a campaign to get this detritus removed. Seriously, there was no consultation about it and rail users have paid for it. I bet it wasn't cheap to install either...

If you are going to start a campaign to get it removed, could you also add "Fix the footbridge to be less slippery", and "finish the canopy work so we can see the PIDs" ^_^

physics34

Established Member

yet again, which idiots are employed to make these decisions it really is so poor

Status
Not open for further replies.