• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon to Wareham via Barnham February 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

packermac

I am hoping one of the ticket experts on here can explain how things work during engineering work closures.
I will be taking this journey as the return leg of an off peak return from Wareham via Barnham (far cheaper than the SWR fare). This is a day the Brighton line is closed which I was aware of, but E.C is very convenient when I am on a sterwarding trip as I will be the previous day.
I am sure before Christmas NRE was showing either a bus to Redhill or a rail journey via Clapham Junction, Horsham and then the usual routing as valid. Checked today and now only offers the RRB to Redhill as selectable but still shows the other journey, although I could also not find it either the Southern or SWR booking sites.
I have noticed though that SN are running Victoria to Gatwick services via Clapham Junction, Sutton,
Horsham for the regular ticket price.
Will it be the mileage that stops the via Clapham Junction routing being available, yet that Gatwick train must be at least 50 percent longer than normal in mileage terms so how come they get a totally rail option?
I suspect I will end up going via Brighton not Barnham as it is a far nicer place to wait for 45 minutes than Ford or Barnham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
VIC GTW is a through train and so is valid by whatever route it takes.
I notice NRE won't allow Brighton that way :(

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
VIC GTW is a through train and so is valid by whatever route it takes
The through train rule can only be for the used for the whole route (e.g. with a London Victoria / London Terminals to Gatwick ticket), not part of the route.

paul1609

Established Member
In my experience Southern and their staff are very laid back when it comes to routing, this is very much so away from the BML and on the rural routes. I'd just travel via Clapham Junction knowing I might have to pay a route excess but Im pretty sure the worst you will get is an enquiry as to which way you are travelling so they can give you advice especially on a engineering day. You are much more likely in my experience to get hassle from SWR (T) staff on a valid ticket.
Barnham has a very good waiting pub if you're stranded there, its about 5 mins walk from the station just under the low bridge. https://www.murrellarms.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.