• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-facing bay at Pitsea station

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbij

Passing through Pitsea station, I noticed an east-facing bay platform on the north side of the station. Track was in place but rusted. I couldn't see if it was connected to the normal running lines. Can anyone tell me:
(1) When was this last used?
(2) When was it last in regular use?
(3) What was it used for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesC357

No, it isn’t electrified. There is a connection to the running lines a little way to the East, however I’m afraid I can’t help with your questions regarding its use. I’m as curious to find out though.

Sunil_P

In recent years, I'm sure I've seen those Balfour-Beatty blue/white tamping(?) machines parked there.

jimfrst

Pitsea Down sidings are not electrified but occasionally a tamper machine is stabled there.

John Webb

Established Member
Passing through Pitsea station, I noticed an east-facing bay platform on the north side of the station. Track was in place but rusted. I couldn't see if it was connected to the normal running lines. Can anyone tell me:
....(3) What was it used for?
It is marked as a 'Loading Bay' on the line map on page 288 of "The Midland Railway - a Chronology" by John Gough (1989, Railway and Canal Historical Society). There was a separate small yard on the line from Tilbury shortly before the junction with the direct line from Barking.

racyrich

Pitsea Down sidings are not electrified but occasionally a tamper machine is stabled there.
Pic 65 in Middleton's Barking to Pitsea shows that the siding was wired in 1986. I don't know when it was unwired.

Status
Not open for further replies.