• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Falcon1200

Established Member
The Kilmarnock service is a joke with one train leaving straight after the other then a huge gap. Obviously as mentioned the d single track will be partly responsible

Partly but not directly responsible, it's because since Covid one of the Glasgow-Kilmarnocks each hour doubles as the Barrhead stopper, and therefore has to leave Central earlier than before to achieve the same path from Barrhead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

james73

Press release

It's alright, I suppose. Pity the original bridge couldn't have been raised up in the same position.

fb13a-press-release-3.jpg

InOban

Established Member
Wasn't it 'life-expired ' as they say. ie rusted beyond economic repair.

sannox

InOban

Established Member
Still can't help but think that is a gigantic waste of money when the road bridge is just up the road.

No, it had extensive works on it a few years prior!
Pedestrians prefer using a segregated route rather than alongside traffic.

snowball

Established Member
Wasn't it 'life-expired ' as they say. ie rusted beyond economic repair.
If that's true its recipients won't be pleased.
The former footbridge was rehomed last month with Caledonian Railway, a volunteer-run charity that restores, maintains and operates a heritage railway in Angus, and will be installed as part of restoration work at Brechin station.

ld0595

Surprised it's not accessible - I would've thought that was non-negotiable in this day and age despite the nearby road bridge (although appreciate space is tight).

Looks nice though!

kylemore

The Kilmarnock service is a joke with one train leaving straight after the other then a huge gap. Obviously as mentioned the d single track will be partly responsible
Pre-covid it wasn't too bad with two trains an hour running fast between either Barrhead and Glasgow or Dunlop and Glasgow with competitive journey times against the X76.

Surely the aim must be to return to this pattern and run the Glasgow to Barrhead stoppers separately, particularly with electrification happening soon?

snowball

Established Member
I'm guessing they aren't wiring the line between Muirhouse South and Larkfield?
It was originally supposed to be included - see for example the paper linked in #798. I don't think we have any definite information that it has been dropped, other than the fact that it hasn't shown much sign of happening.

sannox

It was originally supposed to be included - see for example the paper linked in #798. I don't think we have any definite information that it has been dropped, other than the fact that it hasn't shown much sign of happening.
Fair, I guess progress will be on the passenger lines first, with other lines coming later.

Southsider

Google maps has been updated and shows the work compound off Robslee Drive

Still can't help but think that is a gigantic waste of money when the road bridge is just up the road.

No, it had extensive works on it a few years prior!
I agree, waste of money. The new road bridge has more than adequate provision for pedestrians. The local community group seems to exert considerable influence.

Last edited:

FS-2-11

Pre-covid it wasn't too bad with two trains an hour running fast between either Barrhead and Glasgow or Dunlop and Glasgow with competitive journey times against the X76.

Surely the aim must be to return to this pattern and run the Glasgow to Barrhead stoppers separately, particularly with electrification happening soon?
The whole southside service is a mess since Covid. Withdrawal of the Cathcart Circle services outside of the peak periods means that the western side of the Circle is reduced to one Newton train per hour, which is an appallingly sparse service for a suburban railway. In the 1980s that was 4tph.

snowball

Established Member
It passes under two VERY busy roads with older "arched" bridges, so maybe a "single and move to the middle" solution?
The headroom issue at those bridges is discussed in detail in the paper linked in #798. Track lowering if I remember correctly.

MadMac

The headroom issue at those bridges is discussed in detail in the paper linked in #798. Track lowering if I remember correctly.
Thanks! I had a vague recollection of this having been mentioned here. Track lowering indeed.

The issue with not doing that section is that once you start running electrics, they don’t have a way around a problem at Muirhouse - I’ve been on first generation DMUs that went via Larkfield to get around an issue.

ld0595

The whole southside service is a mess since Covid. Withdrawal of the Cathcart Circle services outside of the peak periods means that the western side of the Circle is reduced to one Newton train per hour, which is an appallingly sparse service for a suburban railway. In the 1980s that was 4tph.
Don't even get me started.... Promised myself I'd get my local MSP involved to find out why the current is so crap... It's pretty poor in this day and age...

Thanks! I had a vague recollection of this having been mentioned here. Track lowering indeed.

The issue with not doing that section is that once you start running electrics, they don’t have a way around a problem at Muirhouse - I’ve been on first generation DMUs that went via Larkfield to get around an issue.

Wired, or not, it's only any use as a diversionary route if the driver has the route knowledge. Think only Central, Shields and possibly Corkerhill drivers sign that route. Ayr, Stranraer, and Dumfries drivers don't sign it.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Wired, or not, it's only any use as a diversionary route if the driver has the route knowledge. Think only Central, Shields and possibly Corkerhill drivers sign that route. Ayr, Stranraer, and Dumfries drivers don't sign it.

Valid points of course, however wiring the Larkfield Curve would at least, post-electrification, still allow the majority of trains to divert that way, and would be no worse than the situation now. Not wiring it would stymie the Barrhead locals and the entire East Kilbride service.

(IIRC Stranraer crews had/have the odd fill-in turn from Central to Barrhead and back, but not when those trains become EMUs!)

Valid points of course, however wiring the Larkfield Curve would at least, post-electrification, still allow the majority of trains to divert that way, and would be no worse than the situation now. Not wiring it would stymie the Barrhead locals and the entire East Kilbride service.

(IIRC Stranraer crews had/have the odd fill-in turn from Central to Barrhead and back, but not when those trains become EMUs!)

Stranraer crews still have a Barrhead service in their backshift job for now.

Christmas

Its actually only Corkerhill that sign this now. Even then a good proportion of newer drivers at that depot do not which causes its own problems.

It's not only a diversionary route either as there are empty stock moves between Corkerhill and East Kilbride via Polmadie Monday to Friday AM and PM.

So if the current timetable situation is to become the norm, all this money and years of disruption was for one electric train per hour to Barrhead?

Last edited:

Falcon1200

Established Member
Stranraer crews still have a Barrhead service in their backshift job for now.

Thanks. Presumably though they won't be getting trained on EMUs?!!

So if the current timetable situation is to become the norm, all this money and years of disruption was for one electric train per hour to Barrhead?

Yes, although the route as far as Busby Junction will also serve the East Kilbride trains of course. But hopefully restoration of pre-Covid timetables, on a greater or lesser basis, will happen sometime.

OB23Gone

Was talking to an SPL operative on Monday who was saying that 2 Portals are going in on the Bridge and that sanded rectangle wasn't there then. Also the sandstone looks reasonably dry so obviously it looks like a fairly recent addition.
Was then talking to one of the stone masons. He was saying that they were checking the integrity of the steel rods and nuts, any pointing of the stone work would also be done at the same time. They would be in attendance for 12 days at the site and then moving to the Levern Water Viaduct

There is now an identical feature on the other other side of the track
The masonry team, as of Monday 27th Mar, has moved to The Levernwater Viaduct worksite

MadMac

Its actually only Corkerhill that sign this now. Even then a good proportion of newer drivers at that depot do not which causes its own problems.

It's not only a diversionary route either as there are empty stock moves between Corkerhill and East Kilbride via Polmadie Monday to Friday AM and PM.

Out of interest, is there a reason they don’t go via Terminus Junction to Muirhouse?

OB23Gone

Out of interest, is there a reason they don’t go via Terminus Junction to Muirhouse?
The empty stock to and from Corkerhill use both Terminus & Larkfield Junctions. For instance yesterday, Friday, Terminus Junction was used according to RTT

The masonry team, as of Monday 27th Mar, has moved to The Levernwater Viaduct worksite
Perhaps there are two masonry teams because the team at Pollokshaws Viaduct has been on site this week (except for Good Friday):

Attachments

• Pollokshaws Viaduct 2023-04-06.jpg
    Pollokshaws Viaduct 2023-04-06.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 104

Southsider

In a post on Facebook today, Network Rail have stated that piling work between Thornliebank and Busby, which should have started by now, has been delayed until the end of June.