• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Oxford-Bletchley construction progress

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fishwomp

I was up that way today. Just west of Calvert, the bridge immediately before the HS2 intersection still carries traffic. It looks like the replacement underpass for that brick bridge is ready.. however it looks like they are waiting for a road bridge over HS2 (about 250 yards north of the EWR one) to be completed so that the road diversion is done in one fell swoop. The metal girders of that HS2 / road bridge are in place so hopefully not too long to wait

snowball

Established Member
Apologies if this has been answered recently, but how far does track currently reach going eastward from Bicester?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks. From the video in #1140 it appears they can keep going for a few miles on the Winslow side before they run into the HS2 boundary. It will be interesting to see how things develop over the summer.
For getting your bearings, in the opening shot of that latest video the view is from just above where the two tracks coming from Bicester end, but unfortunately they aren’t shown. If you go back to the same YouTuber‘s earlier video in post #1099 theres a section showing the tracks approaching a couple of hundred yards back from the bridge, at about 11m 15s.

Just beyond the bridge which is OXD/29 Charndon Main St, (where the ballast looks as though it gets wider), is the EWR/HS2 contract boundary. It’s where the ground changes from cutting to embankment, a while back there was an HS2 boundary fence across the earthworks.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Just beyond the bridge, (where the ballast looks as though it gets wider), is the EWR/HS2 contract boundary. It’s where the ground changes from cutting to embankment, a while back there was an HS2 boundary fence across the earthworks.
I think there is still a fence visible in the recent video, just about to pass out of shot at the bottom of the screen at 0m 16s, but as you say, visibility of the tracks is narrowly missed.

Dr A.Johnston

There has been a couple of questions or remarks lately regarding the construction timeline. The following link to an HS2 document mentions the works being undertaken from the Calvert area to Quainton. Page 9 onwards.

Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, Summer 2023

A useful overview but as we know things change.

This popped up on another HS2 Thread today

snowball

Established Member
There has been a couple of questions or remarks lately regarding the construction timeline. The following link to an HS2 document mentions the works being undertaken from the Calvert area to Quainton. Page 9 onwards.

Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire, Summer 2023

A useful overview but as we know things change.
Thanks. That doesn't seem very reassuring in its implications for the question I keep asking, which is at what date the length of EWR trackbed currently in HS2 hands will be returned to EWR for tracklaying. It was supposed to be "the middle of" this year.

Dr A.Johnston

I could not agree more, I know EWR wanted and hoped for an earlier handover. If I recall correctly, it was expected to be Mid-July or before. However, recent videos on progress here and on YouTube, plus other information from the HS2 camp, appear to have scuppered those hopes - at least for now. Let's see what happens.

fishwomp

I could not agree more, I know EWR wanted and hoped for an earlier handover. If I recall correctly, it was expected to be Mid-July or before. ..
Indeed. As of last Saturday (3rd June) - you can see the embankment that has been built up, and gap immediately before the HS2/EWR bridge (left == east) and immediately after.

20230603_154707.jpg
and below is looking west from the roadbridge just west of that bridge. Here you see on the right the new road is now swinging round to go over HS2 - it seems that that bridge is going to be completed before they knock the roadbridge that I am standing on down. Only after that bridge comes down can they build the embankment west of the EWR/HS2 intersection.

20230603_154851.jpg

WesternBiker

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is it possible to explain what we're looking at that, there, please? I assume the overbridge in the distance is the EWR bridge over the HS2 formation? Many thanks.
That’s looking west at the new Addison Road Bridge in the foreground, that’s the one that’s been lengthened significantly because the overall formation there will includes the east end access to the HS2 maintenance depot. The next new bridge that’s rather more difficult to see, (eg in the second photo), takes EWR over HS2, and the brick bridge in the far distance is Gawcott Road bridge that is yet to be removed.

I think the angled part of the ballast on the right hand side is either to be a junction between EWR and the depot, or an entrance to a loop. You can use that angled ballast to find the same location in the recent video, post #1140.

(But please reply if that’s not clear and I’ll annotate a drawing.)

Last edited:

WesternBiker

That’s looking west at the new Addison Road Bridge in the foreground, that’s the one that’s been lengthened significantly because the overall formation there will includes the east end access to the HS2 maintenance depot. The next new bridge that’s rather more difficult to see, (eg in the second photo), takes EWR over HS2, and the brick bridge in the far distance is Gawcott Road bridge that is yet to be removed.

I think the angled part of the ballast on the right hand side is either to be a junction between EWR and the depot, or an entrance to a loop. You can use that angled ballast to find the same location in the recent video, post #1140.

Brilliant - that works for me, at least - I've managed to orientate it against the Calvert HS2 plan. Thank you.

fgwrich

Established Member

To quote Hot Fuzz, “Very Good, What he said” :lol: Cheers SWT Passenger for providing the explanation for me.

Hopefully this will now indicate work is happening to connect the two halves of East West together. The Gawcott Road bridge can’t be too long left for this world now, though there’s still a considerable amount of earth to shift before track laying can fully commence there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks. That doesn't seem very reassuring in its implications for the question I keep asking, which is at what date the length of EWR trackbed currently in HS2 hands will be returned to EWR for tracklaying. It was supposed to be "the middle of" this year.
Just started, Twitter link in #1155, is that reassuring?

fgwrich

Established Member
Another photo from Phil Marsh tonight, although taken with a telephoto lens, it shows the extent of the newly laid track towards the newly installed bridge.

Attachments

• IMG_7441.jpeg
    IMG_7441.jpeg
    236 KB · Views: 173

zwk500

Veteran Member
Another photo from Phil Marsh tonight, although taken with a telephoto lens, it shows the extent of the newly laid track towards the newly installed bridge.
Just trying to get my bearings - is this view generally looking south along the HS2 alignment, with the Girder bridge in the foreground being the eventual EWR overbridge, and the concrete bridge in the background a road bridge?

fgwrich

Established Member
Just trying to get my bearings - is this view generally looking south along the HS2 alignment, with the Girder bridge in the foreground being the eventual EWR overbridge, and the concrete bridge in the background a road bridge?
No, taken from the existing and yet to be demolished Steeple Claydon road bridge, looking eastwards along the EWR formation towards the new 4 track width Addison Road bridge. The ramp in the foreground will take EWR up and over the road the phot is taken from (when that switches to an under bridge) and HS2 - if that makes sense (long long day here!).

zwk500

Veteran Member
No, taken from the existing and yet to be demolished Steeple Claydon road bridge, looking eastwards along the EWR formation towards the new 4 track width Addison Road bridge. The ramp in the foreground will take EWR up and over the road the phot is taken from (when that switches to an under bridge) and HS2 - if that makes sense (long long day here!).
Much obliged, that makes sense why there's track there now!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Also there’s the new concrete Queen Catherine Road bridge in the far distance, which has replaced a level crossing, it is nearly 3 km away from the photographer.

Magdalia

Established Member
The BBC has a short video of Bletchley here:

The first stage of the £5bn East West Rail project connecting Oxford to Cambridge is on its way to completion.

Work began on the 21-mile (33km) £760m Bicester to Bletchley stretch of the railway in 2020 and is on schedule to be finished by the middle of 2024.

Aerial pictures show an updated Bletchley station, with new platforms and tracks that are due to see their first services from early 2025.