• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eastleigh to Redhill Light Locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Does anyone know the purpose of the Eastleigh to Redhill and return light loco runs this week? I assume route knowledge/driver training but I'm not clear for what purpose. Is it 769-related? 66539 ran today, seen passing Brockham.
115A4778b.jpeg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
Does anyone know the purpose of the Eastleigh to Redhill and return light loco runs this week? I assume route knowledge/driver training but I'm not clear for what purpose. Is it 769-related? 66539 ran today, seen passing Brockham.
View attachment 96006
No, nothing 769 related. Colas are the FOC involved with all that stuff.
At Reading this afternoon I did however see a FL Class 66 light engine with that detachable rail monitoring / surveying camera rig attached to the front.

This was the camera rig (photo from t’interweb):

89E0D6EC-C2B7-4B2F-9F04-175165970BFC.jpeg

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
At Reading this afternoon I did however see a FL Class 66 light engine with that detachable rail monitoring / surveying camera rig attached to the front.
Sounds and looks like a monitoring trip with the Fugro RILA system then.

Deepgreen

Established Member

This was the camera rig (photo from t’interweb):

View attachment 96039
No such equipment being carried that I could see. It's running again tomorrow too, and should have run on Monday, but was cancelled. The multiplicity of journeys suggests training rather than monitoring.

Same loco used again today, seen at Buckland crossing. No exterior equipment and what looked like an instructor sitting on the desk by the secondman's window. I'd put money on it being driver training/route learning - but for what?
115A4865b.jpeg

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
No such equipment being carried that I could see. It's running again tomorrow too, and should have run on Monday, but was cancelled. The multiplicity of journeys suggests training rather than monitoring.

Same loco used again today, seen at Buckland crossing. No exterior equipment and what looked like an instructor sitting on the desk by the secondman's window. I'd put money on it being driver training/route learning - but for what?
View attachment 96089

Cant help you there but its not 769 related.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Cant help you there but its not 769 related.
Indeed - that's Colas. Other sources have surmised that it's Freightliner driver training, but surely there are no plans for freight on the NDL as it's (supposedly) at full capacity now with its 'intensive' 3tph?! The mystery remains.

ExRes

Established Member
Indeed - that's Colas. Other sources have surmised that it's Freightliner driver training, but surely there are no plans for freight on the NDL as it's (supposedly) at full capacity now with its 'intensive' 3tph?! The mystery remains.

Just out of interest how long is the overnight gap between the last and first services?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Route learning for a diversionary route? Route refresh for any forthcoming infrastructure / engineering trains?

nice phot at the crossing, I like that!

Minstral25

Established Member
Great Photo - as it seems to be a deliberate trip for North Downs so perhaps Freightliner are learning for 769 testing on Reading Basingstoke and Reading Redhill??

BRblue

I would hazard a guess that this is for route refreshing/learning for engineering trains, possibly down to the August blockade of the Arun valley line.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Great Photo - as it seems to be a deliberate trip for North Downs so perhaps Freightliner are learning for 769 testing on Reading Basingstoke and Reading Redhill??

769 Fault Free Running is being carried out by Colas drivers, they carried out route learning on the North Downs a while back.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It ran again today, with the interesting RTT train number of 000Z! The suggestion of engineering train instruction makes sense. It'll be an interesting time on the route in August if that's the case! Regarding the Colas 769 training, I imagine they'll have to run more to refresh the drivers by the time they appear here, if ever!

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
It ran again today, with the interesting RTT train number of 000Z! The suggestion of engineering train instruction makes sense. It'll be an interesting time on the route in August if that's the case! Regarding the Colas 769 training, I imagine they'll have to run more to refresh the drivers by the time they appear here, if ever!
That wont be the trains actual headcode. That headcode on RTT is scrambled. This is because most freight companies don't want their real headcodes showing on public facing websites. GBRF are the exception.

Freightmaster

Established Member
That wont be the trains actual headcode. That headcode on RTT is scrambled. This is because most freight companies don't want their real headcodes showing on public facing websites. GBRF are the exception.
For the record, the 'real' headcodes for last week's moves were 0Z40 (Eastleigh to Redhill) and 0Z41 return.

MARK

Status
Not open for further replies.