• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eastleigh Yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
Apologies if this comes across as a silly question but I have not been for many a year and I'm not familiar with the place I pan to travel to Eastleigh with a Freedom Of South West Rover if the weather is bad I intend to have a few bees in the Wetherspoon pub across the road ( I believe you get a view of the station upstairs )

I would like to get what locos are in the yards so could someone please advise which train goes past the yard BEFORE stopping at Eastleigh is it the

Southampton - Waterloo?
Romsey - Salisbury?
Salisbury - Romsey

Or any others I'm not aware of ? Thanks in advance your contributions are much appreciated as usual

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
The freight yards are on the down side coming from the north (London, Reading...)

trainmania100

Established Member
Youll want to come in from the Winchester and Basingstoke direction.
Romsey would avoid most of the yard.
I would recommend a Waterloo to Poole service.
The East Yard is north of the station so anything arriving into there would pass winchester but NOT Eastleigh.
As Im sure you are aware, there is a bridge next to the station for vehicles. You can get some good shots of the yard there.
In the opposite direction is a bridge for eastleigh works, about a 10 minute walk away from station.
From the station there are often locos parked in good view, and many wagons just to the south.

dave87016

Established Member
Thank you very much guys I shall look up the boundary of the Freedom Of South West Rover and see if I can board a Waterloo - Poole service

trainmania100

Established Member
If your buying a freedom pass, surely it doent matter what service you get to eastleigh, you can go up and down the line past the yard as many times as you like lol :D

dave87016

Established Member
Yes Trainmania but having looked at the validity of the Rover it isn't valid to Winchester or Shawford ( which pass the yard) so il get a off peak return Eastleigh - Shawford

noddy1878

Established Member
Quite often there are locos next to the station. More so at the weekend. You are right though, the rover doesn't allow you to get to Winchester.

Status
Not open for further replies.