• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nferguso

We are also on East Midlands Today but I'm having trouble getting a working link right now. Meanwhile, you might be interested to see our press release:

OBJECTIVE ACHIEVED
ECCLESBOURNE VALLEY RAILWAY OPENS TO DUFFIELD: MORE THAN A DECADE’S TEAM EFFORT REWARDED WITH A VISIT BY H.R.H. THE DUKE OF GLOUCESTER

Wirksworth, 6th April 2011: The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, connecting Duffield near Derby with Wirksworth, the Gem of the Peak, became fully operational today when His Royal Highness the Duke of Gloucester travelled the whole line to open the line formally.

Arriving by train from London, His Royal Highness crossed from the main line platforms at Duffield and joined the first scheduled passenger train from Duffield to Wirksworth since June 1947. Hauled by a former British Railways locomotive, no. 78019, the train included a carriage, built the year the line closed, that has been restored by a dedicated team of volunteers at Wirksworth.

The train was filled with the working volunteers who could celebrate over a decade of hard work to the reopening of the railway and John Snell, the Chairman of WyvernRail plc, paid credit to them: “We have waited, anticipated and dreamed of this day for over a decade and it is so very fitting that the people who made this dream a reality are those who are present on this very special day”.

Riding on the footplate for part of the journey, His Royal Highness toured the station at Wirksworth and visited the railway’s museum before unveiling a plaque commemorating his visit and the line’s reopening.

Present at the event were Martin Miller, General Manager of WyvernRail and Mike Craft, Secretary of the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway Association, both of whom were present on the very first day of clearance work in November 2000. “It is truly amazing to consider not only what we have achieved in just over a decade but the sheer dedication of both our shareholders and volunteers in keeping faith in our plans, often when we literally could not see the wood for the trees” remarked Mr. Miller, while Mike Craft was in reflective mood: “To see so many of our friends here today is a wonderful experience and I think everybody present will take a moment to remember some of the team who passed-away before our dream could be realised”.

The celebrations today pave the way for a festival lasting the next four days with public services commencing on Friday 8th. This event forms the start of what promises to be an exciting season for the railway with steam and heritage diesel trains, all of which connect with East Midlands Trains’ services between Nottingham, Derby and Matlock.

Today, Wirksworth has returned to the railway map and the town looks forward to welcoming rail travellers for the first time in over six decades.

Ends.

Finally, the first of what I am sure will be a whole load of images can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robin_stokes/sets/72157626441625400/with/5595425190

Now the only thing missing is you all! Come and visit the 12th longest private railway (standard gauge) in the UK!

Neil

nferguso

Laughing Out Loud (LOL!) just checking to see if that was right, the only problem is i work weekends :( so i'm guessing it has to be a bank holiday if i planning an Visit, it''s got me intrested for a visit :D

Yes, we're essentially weekends and bank holidays (usual exceptions for Christmas) plus summer holiday wednesdays. It adds-up to about 76 days this year. Take a look at our brochure (http://www.e-v-r.com/documents/2011leafletweb.pdf) and you will see that it contains a pretty useful calendar of operating days. You might also be interested to learn that Wirksworth has plenty of nice places to visit, including six pubs, two of which are in the Good Beer Guide. Oh, and did I tell you that you can buy a ticket to Wirksworth from the national network? :lol:

Come and take a look: we're a goodly-sized line now and easy to get-to.

Neil

Multiple Unit

I supose we may see more of the class 31 and other Diesil Locos up and doen the line now that all the cariages are in Use I hope so anyway as would make an exerlen Diesil Running Day.

nferguso

I have uploaded a few images to Photobucket and thought that this one, taken by Geoff Buxton is a pretty impressive image of one of our first trains framed by Duffield Tunnel.

78019ApproachingDuffieldTunnel_8759b.jpg

I ought to stress that Geoff was our official photographer for the opening event and was suitably PTS'd and authorised to be where he was. He wasn't actually in the tunnel but on the other side and using a long lens.

By the way, Duffield is arguably the most southerly in the Pennine Chain, so please add this 50-yard monster to the likes of Woodhead, Summit, Totley and Standege!

Neil

maxnod

According to the Railway Herald, EVR have had over 8,000 visitors since re-opening!
Well done folks!

Wyvern

Established Member
I think its only East Midlands Trains stations or on board EMT services?

SOT is operated by Virgin. It isnt a penalty fare station for EMT.

Does it have barriers? I wonder if they would let you through to buy on the train if you pointed out you couldnt buy a ticket at the booking office?

If it were a PF station would they try to charge you?

Last edited:

nferguso

How do I do that then, starting from Stoke-on-Trent? I could not find it using the National Rail website.

As much as I'd like it, you can't buy the tickets off the National Rail website. To do that we'd have to have our services included in their timetable planner and as we're not a member of ATOC, then it's not really an option for the time being.

If you enquire at Stoke-on-Trent station, you should be able to buy the ticket as an add-on fare: this is similar to tickets for other attractions which aren't destinations on the national network (theme parks and stately homes are good examples). They might need to look the fare up in their manual but it will be there.

Life is simpler if you travel from an East Midlands Trains station: there EMT is adding Wirksworth as a no-messing through destination.

We received our first analysis report the other day and so far, we have received passengers travelling on tickets from Beeston, Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Preston. This last one (Virgin) proves that you can get a ticket from a non-EMT station.

From small acorns...

Neil

Last edited:

Wyvern

Established Member
.. . . . . and Preston. This last one (Virgin) proves that you can get a ticket from a non-EMT station.

So you might get one from Stoke-on-Trent Booking Office (also Virgin) :)

dggar

I thought I'd try using the East Midlands website to by tickets but it does not recognise Wirksworth as a valid station.

nferguso

I thought I'd try using the East Midlands website to by tickets but it does not recognise Wirksworth as a valid station.

Same applies, I'm afraid. The EMT website, ultimately, uses the same data as the National Rail website so, for the moment, you will need to use a ticket office.

If anything changes, you will be the first to know!

Neil

paul1609

Established Member
As much as I'd like it, you can't buy the tickets off the National Rail website. To do that we'd have to have our services included in their timetable planner and as we're not a member of ATOC, then it's not really an option for the time being.

If you enquire at Stoke-on-Trent station, you should be able to buy the ticket as an add-on fare: this is similar to tickets for other attractions which aren't destinations on the national network (theme parks and stately homes are good examples). They might need to look the fare up in their manual but it will be there.

Life is simpler if you travel from an East Midlands Trains station: there EMT is adding Wirksworth as a no-messing through destination.

We received our first analysis report the other day and so far, we have received passengers travelling on tickets from Beeston, Nottingham, Derby, Leicester and Preston. This last one (Virgin) proves that you can get a ticket from a non-EMT station.

From small acorns...

Neil

Will be interesting to see how the through tickets develop. My understanding is that through tickets are generally a flop at other heritage lines

BigVince76

Does all the money go to the heritage railway when you buy a though ticket or do they have to give a cut to whatever company sells it? If so surly it is better just to sell tickets 'on the door' as it were.

nferguso

Will be interesting to see how the through tickets develop. My understanding is that through tickets are generally a flop at other heritage lines

Well, let's give it a chance first! It's early days and so far, the results are modest but definitely encouraging. There hasn't been a through ticket to Wirksworth since 1947, so we're having to build the market from scratch.

Does all the money go to the heritage railway when you buy a though ticket or do they have to give a cut to whatever company sells it? If so surly it is better just to sell tickets 'on the door' as it were.

We are part of the Rail Settlement Plan. We agreed with East Midlands Trains what our fares structure would be and they then created a ticket which includes our part and theirs. The RSP then divvies-up the revenues accordingly and we get a nice cheque (BACS transfer, actually) every month. Simples.

Remember one very big advantage of through tickets: it makes us easy to buy-from and never underestimate the benefits this can provide! Furthermore, one useful adjunct is that we get an itemised breakdown of ticket origins which will be extremely useful for us to target our marketing.

Kind regards,

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.