• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Disruption at Biggleswade 23/12

MontyP

Another problem on the ECML this morning - seems to be blocked due to a fallen tree at Hitchin. Does anyone have information about likely length of the delay, I am due to be meeting people off the train at Kings Cross at 1pm?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Looks to be affecting northbound only and services starting to move again now.

dan4291

Tree touching the wires on the Down Slow near Biggleswade. Down Fast line is open to traffic so hopefully not too much disruption.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Looks like about 1 hour delays. But as others said things are moving again. Suspect it won’t be before the evening before things return to normal.

Currently:
Down slow closed, staff on site to remove tree
Down fast open at caution
Up lines open

Established Member
Normal working on down fast should hopefully of just been granted.

MontyP

A relief that it doesn't appear to be a major incident, I had visions of having to drive to Grantham or Retford to pick up my visitors!

Established Member
All lines open line speed except down slow, aiming for 1600 normal working.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
LNER advertising "minor disruption" but with the number of trains running well over 60 down and consequential cancellations still occurring (1600 and 1700 from Edinburgh canceled as far as Newcastle) it doesn't feel like "minor disruption".

jon0844

Veteran Member
LNER advertising "minor disruption" but with the number of trains running well over 60 down and consequential cancellations still occurring (1600 and 1700 from Edinburgh canceled as far as Newcastle) it doesn't feel like "minor disruption".

Given recent events, it's all relative!

Failed Unit

Established Member
It was also the damned if you do damned if you don’t I see a Peterborough bound train was held at Hitchin on the platform. Great for the passengers. But as a result the backlog of trains soon blocked the Cambridge route.

mad_rich

This was very odd. I was looking at about 1330, planning to head from King's Cross - Newcastle around 1430.

Saw that disruption expected until 1500, with journey times extended by 70 minutes. So I half thought about heading to the pub for a couple of hours, and waiting for the 1600 (for which I had a reservation). But I went to King's Cross anyway.

I checked again, disruption now extended to 1600. But the 1430 was boarding, and I jumped on. Guard was slightly surprised when I asked how long he was expecting the journey to be. No delay at all. I reckon a lot of people would have been put off travelling. Train was busy, but by no means full.

dk1

Veteran Member
This was very odd. I was looking at about 1330, planning to head from King's Cross - Newcastle around 1430.

Saw that disruption expected until 1500, with journey times extended by 70 minutes. So I half thought about heading to the pub for a couple of hours, and waiting for the 1600 (for which I had a reservation). But I went to King's Cross anyway.

I checked again, disruption now extended to 1600. But the 1430 was boarding, and I jumped on. Guard was slightly surprised when I asked how long he was expecting the journey to be. No delay at all. I reckon a lot of people would have been put off travelling. Train was busy, but by no means full.

I was watching with interest as intending to board the 12:02 York-Peterborough then on to Norwich. Needn’t have worried as everything went like clockwork southbound by then. Only a few minutes down and noticed my connection was held back at Grantham to allow us to proceed first on the double track section to Stoke tunnel.