• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML South disruption - OLE down 09/12

Established Member
1N32, which is full and standing, stopped in the platform at Spalding and passengers were allowed off. It took so long to get them back on that 1D32 overtook it and proceeded first towards Lincoln!
As above disruptive passengers causing issues getting back on board!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Wires around train currently being earthed, once done D26 is apparently going to go forward of its own accord

Tree on the line which an EMR hit, not really sure the railway could plan for that when diverting services!

Also N32 was platformed at Splading waiting for line to clear, doors were released so people could get bit fresh air etc, then people started causing disturbance refusing to get back on, that caused further delay!

The rescue set if needed can not get alongside while work is under way to earth/move wires!
I agree, however like Thursday, information on 1N32 was lacking leading to all sorts of rumours.......

Established Member
Local services reported an obstruction in the Ruskington area, must be another separate incident then.
I wouldn’t be surprised either, Windy.com shows wind gusts of around 40-60 knots in the area at the moment!
EMR 2k22 reported striking a tree.

Established Member
I agree, however like Thursday, information on 1N32 was lacking leading to all sorts of rumours.......
Maybe the staff were on platform trying to get people back on train?

Are you on train? Or is it Chinese whispers?

Fitter is now on the roof of 1D26, tieing down the pantograph so that train can move forward

Established Member
I'd be interested to know what conditions are like on the train; it is delayed by over 5 hours.
It’s a bimode, so at least it has full lighting, working toilets, air con etc, and catering facilities, which I can imagine are now empty.

1D26 under way to Leeds under own power finally.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It’s a bimode, so at least it has full lighting, working toilets, air con etc, and catering facilities, which I can imagine are now empty.
That's fortunate; I'd rather be delayed 5+ hours on a train with everything working than 3 hours in the conditions experienced by passengers on Thursday evening near Paddington.

I narrowly missed both these incidents! I was on the 1700 from King's Cross today, which was pretty much on time.

In the past few months I've avoided big ECML delays, however I am well aware of how frequent they are and how incredibly lengthy these delays can be, so I now allow additional time for critical journeys e.g. even if I had a flight to catch in the afternoon, I would travel the night before, if possible.

I also keep an eye out for delays and attempt to travel earlier if I see any sign of any (if my arrival time is critical).
1D26 under way to Leeds under own power finally.
Looks to be terminating at Doncaster. Replacement bus from there to Wakefield/Leeds/Skipton? Edit: my mistake; I was looking at today's 1D26!

Last edited:

Established Member
That's fortunate; I'd rather be delayed 5+ hours on a train with everything working than 3 hours in the conditions experienced by passengers on Thursday evening near Paddington.

I narrowly missed both these incidents! I was on the 1700 from King's Cross today, which was pretty much on time.

In the past few months I've avoided big ECML delays, however I am well aware of how frequent they are and how incredibly lengthy these delays can be, so I now allow additional time for critical journeys e.g. even if I had a flight to catch in the afternoon, I would travel the night before, if possible.

I also keep an eye out for delays and attempt to travel earlier if I see any sign of any (if my arrival time is critical).

Looks to be terminating at Doncaster. Replacement bus from there to Wakefield/Leeds/Skipton?
Terminating at Leeds from everything I’ve read.

Todays 10/12/23 1D26 is planned to terminate at Doncaster.

TheBigD

Established Member
Latest update at 0615. Looks like another day of disruption...

Damage to the overhead electric wires yesterday between Peterborough and Grantham means all lines are currently closed. As a result, trains running between these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised.

Major disruption is expected to continue until the end of the day.

Customer Advice:

East Midlands Railway

Trains are unable to run Grantham and Peterborough in both directions, trains will be diverted on the Liverpool Lime Street/Nottingham/Norwich route and will not call at Grantham. Not all trains will be able to divert and we may have cancellations as a result.

How do I get where I need to be?

If you are travelling from Grantham to Nottingham, you are able to use your ticket on services to Nottingham that run from Skegness.

If you are travelling from Grantham to Norwich, staff are looking at rail replacement options between Grantham and Peterborough, where you will be able to pick up services on to Norwich

LNER

Customers are advised not to travel today Sunday 10th December.

Customers with tickets dated 9 December and 10 December can use their tickets for travelling on 11 December or 12 December.

If you are unable to defer your journey, the following arrangements are in place to assist you in completing your journey.

You can use your ticket on the following services, at no extra cost:

TransPennine Express between Manchester, Leeds and York / Newcastle
East Midlands Railway between London St Pancras International, Leicester and Sheffield
CrossCountry between Sheffield, Doncaster / Leeds
Avanti West Coast between London Euston, Glasgow and Edinburgh
An alternative route map can be found here.

Please be aware, other operators' services are also likely to be busy

dk1

Veteran Member
1L51 ex-Lime St had a good run. Just shy of 4 hours late terminating in Norwich.

jfollows

Established Member
In times of disruption is Real Time Trains ever up dated to show actual route taken?
No, because there are no timetables generated to cover the disruption, so there is no input against which to show the times. Displays from signalling data, eg Open Train Times, Traksy & others will show the passage of diverted trains.

Banham7

Latest update at 0615. Looks like another day of disruption...

Yep, looks like they don’t expect the lines to re-open at all today. Thankfully, the joint line is all back up and running so they should be able to divert without issues.

1E22, 1Z99 still at Grantham along with 1B90 still at Peterborough!

kingqueen

Is there ticket acceptance on other routes, does anyone know?
Yes. LNER website
You can use your ticket on the following services, at no extra cost:

• TransPennine Express between Manchester, Leeds and York / Newcastle
  • CrossCountry between Wakefield and Leeds
  • Avanti West Coast between London Euston, Glasgow and Edinburgh
  • Mutual with Lumo via any reasonable route
  • Northern via any reasonable route
  • Great Northern and Thameslink between Peterborough and London Kings Cross in both directions
An alternative route map can be found here.

The frequency of significant overhead line equipment failure on the ECML is troubling me, and doubtless many others.
Is this an indication that there's a major problem that requires significant renewal?
People tell me (e.g. an East Coast driver) that it was done "on the cheap" with the maximum possible distance between stanchions.
I'm obviously not in any way knowledgeable in this area, but wondering if it is life- expired and if there are any current plans for renewal.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
1L51 ex-Lime St had a good run. Just shy of 4 hours late terminating in Norwich.
I was very lucky to be homeward on 1L14 yesterday!

EMR Norwich-Nottingham services diverting via Manton Junction today where route knowledge permits.

stu

Inlaws travelling today Newcastle - Kings Cross, now via Manchester and then to Euston! I don't think they appreciated me ringing before 8am to say get up, dressed and to the station asap! Haha

Established Member
Inlaws travelling today Newcastle - Kings Cross, now via Manchester and then to Euston! I don't think they appreciated me ringing before 8am to say get up, dressed and to the station asap! Haha
If they'd have gone to Sunderland they could have got a Grand Central service that's being diverted via Lincoln (if their ticket allowed).

stu

If they'd have gone to Sunderland they could have got a Grand Central service that's being diverted via Lincoln (if their ticket allowed).
I rang LNER, ticket acceptance only covered to London with Avanti or EMR on their advance ticket. But a good suggestion!

Established Member
Not ideal for those Geordies heading to Spurs Newcastle match. Couple of up trains terminating at Grantham shortly

Established Member
As soon as I saw the emails this morning I gave up on getting to the match.
Looks like you could have got to Grantham. 0825 just arriving there, whether LNER putting on any coaches from there to Peterborough is unclear. Probably the sensible decision

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Looks like you could have got to Grantham. 0825 just arriving there, whether LNER putting on any coaches from there to Peterborough is unclear. Probably the sensible decision
I was planning on catching the 1000 so wouldn't have been ready in time, it's getting home that's looking difficult. EMR have busus for part of the journey so no ticket acceptance . only route was via Manchester.

Established Member
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Joint Line?
Full joint is from Doncaster to Lincoln, Spalding then rejoins at Werrington junction at Peterborough.

Short joint is from Doncaster to Lincoln then rejoining at Newark.

Last nights services diverted via Full joint line.

Last edited: