• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML South disruption - OLE down 09/12

pinkmarie80

Allegedly Avanti revoked ticket acceptance after a TM was assaulted this morning, according to the guard of the TPE train I'm currently on, which is carrying displaced passengers.
Hmmm.
I was on a TPE earlier and the guard on there said it was due to overcrowding, but what was really shocking is LNER never cared to mention it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

800Travel

Fair enough, it was initially coded as VA/disorder though.
Is this site something the general public can access please? Guessing not, but worth asking I suppose. Sometimes delays are happening and I’m curious why, but no reasons given on the trackers. Thank you

Established Member
Is this site something the general public can access please? Guessing not, but worth asking I suppose. Sometimes delays are happening and I’m curious why, but no reasons given on the trackers. Thank you
That code is used for a multitude of reasons, which bear no reality to what is actually happening.

It could be used for something like a member of the public delaying a train by standing too close and not moving, right through to an assault etc

Established Member
The 1900 Edinburgh to Kings Cross sat at Newcastle for 2 hours before they decided to cancel it, apparently trying to source replacement buses now. Edit it looks like it’s been reinstated and just left Newcastle

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
I’ve been driving for quite a long time now, and I’ve never known as many failures of the infrastructure as there are these days. Network Rail are clearly unable to maintain it to an acceptable standard.
As a car driver for many decades I can't say the road infrastructure is faring much better. Pot holes, subsidence, blocked drainage causing floods, overgrowing vegetation with road works everywhere. No wonder high wheelbase 4x4s are so popular.

But yes, modern railways seem to be finding ever more reasons for not being able to operate all the trains in the timetable to a reliable standard.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we please stick to this specific incident in this particular thread, please.

enginedin

Since 1300
I was on the 1439 Euston-Edinbugh and that had lots of LNER passengers on it - the train manager frequently apologising for the overcrowding, and telling anyone who should have been on an LNER or LUMO service to claim delay repay

Established Member
I was on the 1439 Euston-Edinbugh and that had lots of LNER passengers on it - the train manager frequently apologising for the overcrowding, and telling anyone who should have been on an LNER or LUMO service to claim delay repay
Acceptance was stopped being advertised, but Avanti would still accept people who did present them selves at Euston.

Mugby

Established Member
I’ve been driving for quite a long time now, and I’ve never known as many failures of the infrastructure as there are these days. Network Rail are clearly unable to maintain it to an acceptable standard.
I did over 30 years service on the P/Way, under British Rail and Network Rail and I can tell you that around the turn of the current century, NR were increasingly adopting a policy of 'Let's renew everything then it won't need any maintenance'

What you are seeing now is a classic case of chickens coming home to roost!

Purple Train

Established Member
Can you elaborate please?
I read it as the poster complaining that a 60-year-old (roughly) Type 4 is the best Thunderbird that the modern railway can muster.
Acceptance was stopped being advertised, but Avanti would still accept people who did present them selves at Euston.
Rather emblematic of the tough and confusing situation for the passengers, really. While the state of affairs that transpired here was the result of several holes of Swiss cheese aligning, I hope it isn't passed off as an unfortunate coincidence.

OliverS

We were advised at York that tickets weren't being accepted (this was around 15:00). Ended up on the first southbound through after a while in the queue at Grantham. The crew of 1G50 were excellent in keeping us informed of what was going on once we were moving.

LowLevel

Established Member
Turned up with my humble 170 at Lincoln this morning to find LNER trains cancelled with a promise of so called rail replacement that the station staff had been told probably wouldn't materialise.

I told them to put everyone on my train instead but I never have understood the stupidity of ticket acceptance. For such a major disruptive event it should be a simple matter of putting people on trains rather than organising coaches when trains painted a different colour already exist.

Established Member
Turned up with my humble 170 at Lincoln this morning to find LNER trains cancelled with a promise of so called rail replacement that the station staff had been told probably wouldn't materialise.

I told them to put everyone on my train instead but I never have understood the stupidity of ticket acceptance. For such a major disruptive event it should be a simple matter of putting people on trains rather than organising coaches when trains painted a different colour already exist.
Ah the common sense, old fashioned railway viewpoint.. you won’t last long these days hahahaha

notverydeep

It’s so sad just how unreliable the railways are these days. I know there have always been ‘bad days’ but they’re an awful lot more frequent now than they were before.

If you don’t find the railway properly, this is the result. Might as well just shut the lot, at least people would be able to make plans then.

The response to incidents has changed over the years. I have travelled up and down the country by rail very frequently at times, especially between 1987 and 1992 and more sporadically since then. Back then, total shut downs / strandings where very rare as eventually something was always sorted and you would be on the move. If the wires were down, diesel locos would appear and trains be diverted and / or dragged. Failed DMUs would carry on with a locomotive attached. Even in snow, some sort of service would be up and running. You do still see elements of this approach in some incidents - 47812 dragging Peterborough via Lincoln to Doncaster is an example in this incident, but a complete stoppage lasting 5 to 6 hours or more seems much more likely than in the period 30 years ago. The fragmented railway seems inherently less flexible. Now of course there are many fewer diesels and those that do exist belong to a different company with crews rostered only for those company's normal traffic. Traction and route knowledge is much more specific, so the rostered driver of a passenger train can't just go over to the spare diesel, start it up and couple it to their train.

I tend to mark the change starting with the 'wrong kind of snow' episode in 1991. In this the media pilloried BR and yet on the ground, they had really done their best as my journey with 56001 from Sole Street to London Victoria hauling a couple of 4-CEPs testified. The lesson taken was basically, "what's the point, when we get the same feedback as if we had run nothing?". A 'do not travel' message is so much more straightforward and limits the risks from unfamiliar procedures. Privatisation has only amplified this incentive. If anything these last two ECML incidents seem to be the exception rather than the rule today, with at least some traction and crews capable of using a long diversionary route and several trains doing so...

Julia

The response to incidents has changed over the years. I have travelled up and down the country by rail very frequently at times, especially between 1987 and 1992 and more sporadically since then. Back then, total shut downs / strandings where very rare as eventually something was always sorted and you would be on the move. If the wires were down, diesel locos would appear and trains be diverted and / or dragged. Failed DMUs would carry on with a locomotive attached. Even in snow, some sort of service would be up and running. You do still see elements of this approach in some incidents - 47812 dragging Peterborough via Lincoln to Doncaster is an example in this incident, but a complete stoppage lasting 5 to 6 hours or more seems much more likely than in the period 30 years ago. The fragmented railway seems inherently less flexible. Now of course there are many fewer diesels and those that do exist belong to a different company with crews rostered only for those company's normal traffic. Traction and route knowledge is much more specific, so the rostered driver of a passenger train can't just go over to the spare diesel, start it up and couple it to their train.
Certainly the days when anything could go pretty much anywhere (because it was all based on a standard Mk 1 size), track layouts hadn't been rationalised to the bare minimum, almost anything could couple to almost anything else, are gone, taking a huge amount of flexibility away. While all this was going on, I idly wondered if bi-mode 1E16 could be reversed in Grantham platform 4, then run via Sleaford - of course I'm 100% sure an 800 has never been passed for that route, there's no driver knowledge in LNER, EMR and others would be too stretched to provide anyone to help, and so on...

Failed Unit

Established Member
Certainly the days when anything could go pretty much anywhere (because it was all based on a standard Mk 1 size), track layouts hadn't been rationalised to the bare minimum, almost anything could couple to almost anything else, are gone, taking a huge amount of flexibility away. While all this was going on, I idly wondered if bi-mode 1E16 could be reversed in Grantham platform 4, then run via Sleaford - of course I'm 100% sure an 800 has never been passed for that route, there's no driver knowledge in LNER, EMR and others would be too stretched to provide anyone to help, and so on...
I don't think that route was ever cleared.

Back in the old days, BR seemed to be able to divert via Lincoln much easier. However the route was operated by HSTs / Deltics back then so didn't need to worry about juice. I am not sure how route knowledge was done back then if they needed to pilot or if drivers at Doncaster / Peterborough had more traction knowledge.

Really ever since the 91s came along problems on the ECML have become very disruptive with limited numbers of drivers having knowledge of the Lincoln route. With the ones that do probably driving the electric only trains. (According to the law of sod)

Did HT divert anything via Lincoln yesterday?

Peterthegreat

Established Member
I don't think that route was ever cleared.

Back in the old days, BR seemed to be able to divert via Lincoln much easier. However the route was operated by HSTs / Deltics back then so didn't need to worry about juice. I am not sure how route knowledge was done back then if they needed to pilot or if drivers at Doncaster / Peterborough had more traction knowledge.

Really ever since the 91s came along problems on the ECML have become very disruptive with limited numbers of drivers having knowledge of the Lincoln route. With the ones that do probably driving the electric only trains. (According to the law of sod)

Did HT divert anything via Lincoln yesterday?
Hull Trains did not run south of Doncaster yesterday.

Failed Unit

Established Member
No, they had the blanket policy of nothing South of Donny. Hull to Doncaster shuttle effectively. Grand Central sent at least 2 units Southbound.
Including the voyager, it was parked on Platform 10 last night, could really what was going on but a lot of people got off an walked back onto the concourse before it left. Maybe people with LNER only tickets. I was surpised it wasn't more overcrowded to be honest. Let just after 2100 and wasn't a sardine can.

stuartl

LNER app is showing that they are still cancelling some trains today with the message 'due to overhead wire problems' Presumably due to trains being in the wrong place. Lot of their trains out of Kings Cross are showing as full and standing.

TheBigD

Established Member
Including the voyager, it was parked on Platform 10 last night, could really what was going on but a lot of people got off an walked back onto the concourse before it left. Maybe people with LNER only tickets. I was surpised it wasn't more overcrowded to be honest. Let just after 2100 and wasn't a sardine can.

There has been plenty of overcrowding, particularly northbound, this morning as those who opted not to travel yesterday do so today.

SpaldingMan

Does anyone know why the 5 car LNER unit is still sat at Platform 5 in Peterborough? 1B90 appears to have been there since Saturday when the trains came to a standstill.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation